News Article: NHL season preview of the Toronto Maple Leafs

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
You think as he matures physically and becomes more experienced and finds a comfort level throughtout a full season he will lose the ability to score 60 points in a season?

I don't know what to believe. He had a bad playoff (18), bad season (18), and a bad playoff (19). So he is not trending up as far as I can see. Everyone coming at me in this thread is acting like the future already happened. Nylander has a lot to prove this year, but (factually) he hasn't done much recently for Toronto.

He is trending downward as far as I can see.

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Barrie was a solid solid puck up at the cost of a 30 goal center that was better suited to 2nd line center and Kerfoot is the equalization for the lack of term left with Barrie.

The most talented if Marner gets signed i assume you meant. I don't think we get a Marner back in any trade so kind of have to sign him.

Yes. A very good team without, the most talented I've seen with. If he is unwilling to sign I'd trade him and with the return I suspect it would again be the most talented team I've seen.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't know what to believe. He had a bad playoff (18), bad season (18), and a bad playoff (19). So he is not trending up as far as I can see. Everyone coming at me in this thread is acting like the future already happened. Nylander has a lot to prove this year, but (factually) he hasn't done much recently for Toronto.

He's not the only one trending downward

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I am a Nylander detractor. I want to believe Nylander can get to 50 points again. I don't ever see him getting to 60 points, and he will probably never score 30 goals in this league.

Soft/

perimeter NHLers don't have enough push in their game to score 30 goals. Matthews can get 35+ goals because of his wicked shot and his size.
How has Kessel done it then throughout 80% of his career?

Reactions: Auston Escobar

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I am a Nylander detractor. I want to believe Nylander can get to 50 points again. I don't ever see him getting to 60 points, and he will probably never score 30 goals in this league.

Soft/

perimeter NHLers don't have enough push in their game to score 30 goals. Matthews can get 35+ goals because of his wicked shot and his size.
I feel like the "soft perimeter player" narrative stands for "Swedish Guy I don't like but have no reason why"

Nylander plays the same physical game as Marner and he put up 93 points last year.

Nylander was on pace to finish with only 5 fewer hits and 4 fewer blocks than Marner over an 82 game pace. That's one hit every 16 games, one block every 20 games and Marner PK's so he gets more of an opportunity to hit a guy.

Nylander is better along the boards and controlling the play / maintaining possession.

He had a rough season, yes he needs to put up way better numbers, but people are trying to sewer the guy with no evidence to back it up.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I feel like the "soft perimeter player" narrative stands for "Swedish Guy I don't like but have no reason why"

Nylander plays the same physical game as Marner and he put up 93 points last year.

Nylander was on pace to finish with only 5 fewer hits and 4 fewer blocks than Marner over an 82 game pace. That's one hit every 16 games, one block every 20 games and Marner PK's so he gets more of an opportunity to hit a guy.

Nylander is better along the boards and controlling the play / maintaining possession.

He had a rough season, yes he needs to put up way better numbers, but people are trying to sewer the guy with no evidence to back it up.
Marner is one of the top takeaway guys in the league because he has good instincts and works his ass off. Nylander has those same good instincts but doesnt work his ass off as much. Mitch is an energizer bunny off the puck.

I like Nylander but he doesnt have the heart Marner has. I think thats why he gets called softer. In terms of actual physicality Nylander is much stronger than mitch in the corners, i actually think Willys strength in the corners will soon become a strength of his game.

Reactions: DarkKnight

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Soft/

How about a bet?

2 years. if Nylander can get 60 points in 2019-2020 or 2020-2021, you delete your account. If he doesn't, I'll delete mine.

Deal?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Well, he finished the year with a World Championship MVP, so that's trending upwards.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Well, he finished the year with a World Championship MVP, so that's trending upwards.
He didn't win the MVP but did lead the tournament in scoring and that included guys like Pettersson, Kucherov, Kane, Eichel, Voracek, Gusev, Stone, Draisaitl etc..

As I've stated before, the level of dominance he showed in that tournament is usually followed up by a HUGE year in the NHL. Let's hope he can follow the Mackinnons, Kanes, Panarins, Kucherovs etc..

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

No. That's the oldest label making stereotype in the history of HFBoards: People who dislike Nylander pine for the days of staged fighting.

Reactions: JustAShadow

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Nylander has a nice looking shot, but if after 3 seasons he has repeatedly had a below average shooting percentage, shouldnt we consider he actually has a below average shot?

I remember awhile ago an announcer saying he could see nylander win the rocket one year. Since then william has regressed
Agreed. He needs to make an adjustment as I stated. Instead of always picking corners and missing, get it on net. Nylander has a hard shot, the bar down routine isn’t working.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Chad produced at the Worlds. That's great. That must mean Mike Babcock's critics are wholly comforted by his list of international wins.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It is really so wrong to predict that Nylander might struggle to get 50 points? He had a bad playoff, season, another playoff and I just supposed to believe that he's trending upwards?

He's not a terrible player. He's skilled and above average. I think people saying he's "elite" are using that rather loosely don't you agree? Do you really believe that he's up there with Crosby, McDavid, Ovi, etc. ?

I just don't agree with most people (Leaf Fans?) about Nylander's ability.

To say that William Nylander might reach 50 points is trolling then I don't know what to believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It is really so wrong to predict that Nylander might struggle to get 50 points? He had a bad playoff, season, another playoff and I just supposed to believe that he's trending upwards?
Yup. That's quite the bad take considering he's a 23 year old who has already had two 60 point seasons, has had no significant injuries since, and now he's going to struggle to reach 50? Even in this last dreadful season when everything that could go wrong went wrong, he still had a 50 point pace after he got going.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Definitely not everyone's favorite blog on here, but The Hockey Writers ranked the Leafs' defense as #7 going going into the season.

https://thehockeywriters.com/ranking-nhl-teams-by-defencemen/

ANALYSIS: Kyle Dubas has done a masterful job of retooling Toronto’s defence with the additions of Muzzin, Barrie and Ceci to the Leafs’ top four. Rielly is still No. 1 there and should be considered a legit No. 1. Harpur is a placeholder for Dermott, who could miss the first half while recovering from shoulder surgery. Once Dermott is healthy and up to speed, Toronto is going to have a formidable blue line come the playoffs. Holl and Schmaltz will battle for the right-side spot on the third pairing, while Gravel and Marincin will provide competition for Harpur. Gravel, in particular, could exceed expectations in Toronto. Sandin and Liljegren are only a call-up away as first-rounders thriving in the AHL.

Reactions: kb

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
This is a pretty weird take. Marner had a breakout year, established himself as a star player. He did that running perhaps the most offensively gifted PP unit in the league, and played with a superstar at even strength. He had 26 goals. Is that embarrassing? No, because he's a playmaker. Just like Nylander.

I wouldn't call Nylander a strict playmaker. He's an opportunistic kind of threat. Makes him versatile, and why I think he meshes so well with Auston.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Definitely not everyone's favorite blog on here, but The Hockey Writers ranked the Leafs' defense as #7 going going into the season.

https://thehockeywriters.com/ranking-nhl-teams-by-defencemen/

ANALYSIS: Kyle Dubas has done a masterful job of retooling Toronto’s defence with the additions of Muzzin, Barrie and Ceci to the Leafs’ top four. Rielly is still No. 1 there and should be considered a legit No. 1. Harpur is a placeholder for Dermott, who could miss the first half while recovering from shoulder surgery. Once Dermott is healthy and up to speed, Toronto is going to have a formidable blue line come the playoffs. Holl and Schmaltz will battle for the right-side spot on the third pairing, while Gravel and Marincin will provide competition for Harpur. Gravel, in particular, could exceed expectations in Toronto. Sandin and Liljegren are only a call-up away as first-rounders thriving in the AHL.

I think that's a bit high for the Leafs but I think they're bordering on top 10 on the strength of their top 3 .. A healthy Dermott definitely gets them into the top 10 though

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He's not a terrible player. He's skilled and above average. I think people saying he's "elite" are using that rather loosely don't you agree? Do you really believe that he's up there with Crosby, McDavid, Ovi, etc. ?

I just don't agree with most people (Leaf Fans?) about Nylander's ability.

To say that William Nylander might reach 50 points is trolling then I don't know what to believe.

Yes. Its betting against all staatsical and eye test evidence we have of his career and development trajectory from his predraft period to present day.

He's not a flash in the pan guy who had one random tear. He had superb seasons in the SHL and AHL as a teen, then had one of the best rookie debuts of a Leafs player in several decades (save for Matthew's and Marner).

So yes, presuming Nylander gets 50 or less points should be ridiculed fairly savagely

member 300185

Marner is one of the top takeaway guys in the league because he has good instincts and works his ass off. Nylander has those same good instincts but doesnt work his ass off as much. Mitch is an energizer bunny off the puck.

I like Nylander but he doesnt have the heart Marner has. I think thats why he gets called softer. In terms of actual physicality Nylander is much stronger than mitch in the corners, i actually think Willys strength in the corners will soon become a strength of his game.

Thats a laugh. I spewed my beer out my nose when I read that.

If you want to talk factually, Nylander is a chicken, soft fluffy bunny when going into the corners. Everyone here knows it except you it seems.

We have seen him embarrass the Leafs on at least 3 occasions where he turtled. He is as big a coward as his father was.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
You could have said the same thing about MacKinnon after his first few years. Sometimes it does take years for everything to come together. Even though it isn't a guarantee, it's at least a promising sign that Nylander can generate so many chances. It's better than not being able to do so

That is true. But nathan had very little support and had a lot on his shoulders. Compared to nylander who is our 4th best forward.

If nylander can turn it around and get 35+ goals I'll admit I was wrong and be very pleased

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->