NHL season "paused" UPD: Union approves 24-team resumption. Phase 2 regs released

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
By the way, what happens to players with regards to pay?

They are paid by the day, not game right? So do they still get their full year salary? I can't see how they wouldn't.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Payment on hold with season on hold. Per CBA

They'll probably get some part of their salary 3/15 (next paycheck), but otherwise not until things start up.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Payment on hold with season on hold. Per CBA

They'll probably get some part of their salary 3/15 (next paycheck), but otherwise not until things start up.

That isn't great for the lower end players. With money taken out for escrow and possibly missing 20% of their checks on top of that. I know even they make money that is good but they still probably budget for getting paid a certain amount that would be higher than what they would get.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
A handful of corporations are stepping up to ensure hourly worker get paid during shutdown.

And

NBA and NHL players stepping up too

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
What happens now that the NHL postponed its season?

Nice summary of what is known/unknown.

Looks like NHL taking the weekend to try to come up with plans for playing, understanding time needed to "ramp back up" and when things would need to be done so that there can be a full 2020-2021 season (I've read elsewhere, based on Q&A between LeBrun and Daly on the Athletic). And backing off from that, when would the "drop dead" date be for determining when the season would need to be cancelled. Lots more questions to be answered; and likely the powers that be know what those questions are and are working to find answers.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
One idea that has been discussed is a five game round robin "get back into game mode, set pre-playin standings."

Then would be the best of 3 play ins, followed by four rounds of best of seven playoffs.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Well looks like the 24 team playoff format has been approved. Of course this does not mean that hockey is definitely coming back.

Vegas would get a bye to the next round. They as well as the Avs, Stars and Blues would compete in a possible round robin type of tournament to determine seeding while the 8 other western conference teams would play in a 5 game elimination series.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@Super Cake, AIUI, while the bottom 8 teams are fighting for a playoff spot at the conference hub, the top 4 will be doing a round robin, with seeding on the line. So, there is not a "bye" in the play-in round.

Still no "when" nor "where".

And the league still has to put it's stamp of approval on the plan. Union got the first chance at it.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
@Super Cake, AIUI, while the bottom 8 teams are fighting for a playoff spot at the conference hub, the top 4 will be doing a round robin, with seeding on the line. So, there is not a "bye" in the play-in round.

Still no "when" nor "where".

And the league still has to put it's stamp of approval on the plan. Union got the first chance at it.

Honestly, i am not happy about how this format is going to play.

NHL is making it so the play in teams could have an advantage over the bye teams. A round robin won't have the same intensity as the play in series.

I am also hearing that they may also do a best of 5 for the actual 1st round as well, which could make it even more so that a play in team upsets a bye team.

But i realize there is nothing the NHL can do about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad