Confirmed with Link: NHL season officially postponed due to COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Don't strawman me here :rolleyes:

don't know where you are; few local farms ran into low demand (most of the restaurants were closed) and social distancing. Then, few counties implement food export restrictions. I am not saying we are heading to famine. Just we need to think ahead, instead of hoping the hot weather will kill the virus.

May be you are working in essential servies industry, so don't really understand :popcorn:

Who is strawmaning? Who said this as in its how we are going to kill the virus?

Maybe you need to understand things better. Or at least explain your position better cause it is wrong at this moment.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Don't strawman me here :rolleyes:

don't know where you are; few local farms ran into low demand (most of the restaurants were closed) and social distancing. Then, few counties implement food export restrictions. I am not saying we are heading to famine. Just we need to think ahead, instead of hoping the hot weather will kill the virus.

May be you are working in essential servies industry, so don't really understand :popcorn:
What the hell are you even talking about?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Who is strawmaning? Who said this as in its how we are going to kill the virus?

Maybe you need to understand things better. Or at least explain your position better cause it is wrong at this moment.
strawmaning <= did I said anything about essential services or research

Did you watch the news in the last couple months? People kept saying it would be like SARS.

My position is that we need to start to plan ahead, cannot wait for the cure or vaccine, that is all :rolleyes:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
strawmaning <= did I said anything about essential services or research

Did you watch the news in the last couple months? People kept saying it would be like SARS.

My position is that we need to start to plan ahead, cannot wait for the cure or vaccine, that is all :rolleyes:

Okay. In your original post you said:

C'mon, I am not trump support and I think he is an idiot. However, he is not wrong. Social distancing cannot cure coronavirus. If hot weather cannot kill the virus, what can we do.

We need to find a way to open some counties / prov.. With the quick test kits (5 mins in USA, 30 secs in TWN) are avaiable right now, we can set up few coronavirus free zone in the country. So that, some people can safely go back to work and start to manufacture products, goods, food. Don't think about the market or Econ. or anything. It is the livinghood for all of us.

BTW, today was the second time that China tried to restart their Econ. let see :popcorn:

When you say we need to open counties/provinces and send some people back to work to manufacture products, goods and food it implies you think that they're not currently doing that. They are. Just not as much as they were before, because we have to slow the spread of the disease that could kill a lot more people.

Reactions: racerjoe

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yesterday, Trump told his daily campaign rally crowd of reporters (disguised as the COVID-19 daily update) that during the past night he had had a "very good phone call" with the Chinese President, Xi Jinping. They spent an hour talking about the virus and nothing else.

Today he thinks he's talking about putting NY, NJ, and Connecticut under a state wide quarantine. Of course he has no Constitutional right to do such, but the CDC can and he owns them just like any dictator owns his govt agencies. XI did just that in China. Brought in the military and put every citizen under strict house arrest.

Tonight it's no quarantine, but directed a "strong travel advisory" on the 3 states for the next 14 days. Cuomo said that would amount to "federal declaration of war." He also said Trump never mentioned it to him in a morning phone call they had. He believed it would be illegal, economically catastrophic. preposterous and shortsighted when other parts of the country are seeing cases rise too. "If you start walling off areas all across the country, it will be totally bizarre, counterproductive, anti-American, anti-social. he added that locking down the nation's financial capital would shock the stock market and "paralyze the economy" at a time when Trump is itching to get the economy back on track.

Just another example of how the orange turd just takes the last piece of advice he's received from one of his cronies and walks it out there without actually running it by anyone who actually understands constitutional law and what the consequences of his actions would be. This idea came form Xi who did it and Governor Rick Scott from Florida whose state is fast becoming another hot spot partly because he won't take a stand to limit his state's population's behavior, but mayors like Miami for instance finally did. Scott wanted the quarantine to stop New Yorkers from bringing it to his state since so many own condos and winter homes there. Scott is the same governor who allowed the college Spring break kids from all over the country to fill up the state's hotels, restaurants, and beaches for the sake of the state's economy before folding under state and national scrutiny. Now, it's the fault of those kids that his state is in trouble because you know virus bugs don't travel the world and enter his state in a 1000 ways. So, keep New Yorkers out. Yes, travel of NY residents to Florida is a bad idea, but so is travel of folks from anywhere to his state unhealthy, both for themselves and and his state's citizens. Like Trump, the Republican mantra is to always find someone to blame for any problems they might have and then declare them the enemy and attack, attack, attack and their followers follow along like sheep.

See Trump is under incredible scrutiny and criticism for his mishandling of this calamity from the get go. So, he has been doing everything in his bag of tricks to divert the blame to anyone or anything else. He throws one piece of fecal matter after another at the wall and hopes some will stick and it has not been working. In fact, it's just digging his hole deeper and deeper. 90% of the nations mayors who responded to a nationwide poll reported they lack sufficient test kits, face masks, other PPEs, and medical workers and 85% said they didn't have enough ventilators for their hospitals.

"Despite their best efforts, most cities do not have and cannot obtain adequate equipment and supplies needed to protect their residents. This is a life-threatening crisis that will continue unless the federal government does everything in its power to help us safeguard our first responders and health care workers - our first line of defense - and the millions." This from the U.S Conference of Mayors.

For example Every city will tell you how many masks they have and how many they will need. Louisville's mayor said his city had 255,000 and needed 1,000,000. All the cities report similar on what they have and the counts are way below their expected needs. Trump trumpeted with pride that they had shipped 9,000,000 masks. Coumo's hospitals, police force, fire fighters, and medical first responders burn through that number in a couple days.

In response Trump is skeptical of their demands. "I have a feeling the numbers that are being said in some areas are just bigger than they're going to be."

This man has proclaimed himself to be a war time president. Thank God he was never the man when we were actually fighting the big World Wars because we would have lost. This man is so unaware of just what is happening to his citizenry as he is still more concerned with his ego and his election prospects than any other occurrence on this earth.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Okay. In your original post you said:

When you say we need to open counties/provinces and send some people back to work to manufacture products, goods and food it implies you think that they're not currently doing that. They are. Just not as much as they were before, because we have to slow the spread of the disease that could kill a lot more people.
I knew. China tried it once and it created the shxt storm for us.

Did you read I write? We are not open any counties or provinces (not que or BC). With fast testing kits, We shall be able to create a coronavirus free zone in NB, PEI, Manitoba first.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Did you read I write? We are not open any counties or provinces (not que or BC). With fast testing kits, We shall be able to create a coronavirus free zone in NB, PEI, Manitoba first.

No you won't. It doesn't work that way. You can't certify an area as coronavirus-free because you don't know that for a fact. Even in areas with relatively little or no cases, you need constant surveillance and strict social distancing measures.

In Taiwan, they are still taking Covid-19 seriously. Places may be open, but the precautionary measures and will remain in place.

That will be the case everywhere until a vaccine has been developed and widely disseminated. Nothing else is effective without literally millions of deaths to rapidly achieve herd immunity. Those are your two choices. And unless you're one of those cult members who think we should sacrifice the weakest among us for the sake of capitalism, the choice is rather a simple one.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
No you won't. It doesn't work that way. You can't certify an area as coronavirus-free because you don't know that for a fact. Even in areas with relatively little or no cases, you need constant surveillance and strict social distancing measures.

In Taiwan, they are still taking Covid-19 seriously. Places may be open, but the precautionary measures and will remain in place.

That will be the case everywhere until a vaccine has been developed and widely disseminated. Nothing else is effective without literally millions of deaths to rapidly achieve herd immunity. Those are your two choices. And unless you're one of those cult members who think we should sacrifice the weakest among us for the sake of capitalism, the choice is rather a simple one.
C'mon, don't strawmaning me here. Where did I say that we will not take Covid-19 seriously ???? If you really understand taiwan situation, you shall know that Taiwan is a textbook case now; people is thinking that they contain the virus, and, one bad move, shxt storm hits them. BTW, Does Taiwan act like us, stop everything ?

May be you have money or working now? We must think ahead for others:popcorn:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Yeah, fast testing kits aren't actually a thing yet. They're working on them, the FDA has given approval for some version according to the latest word, but they're not currently available in the kind of numbers that would make something like this feasible. We're still better off slowing the spread by quarantine.

If you had been following the news in the last few months, you knew most of the leaders in the western did. They thought it would be another SARS

This is complete gibberish. No they bloody didn't.

C'mon, don't strawmaning me here. Where did I say that we will not take Covid-19 seriously ???? If you really understand taiwan situation, you shall know that Taiwan is a textbook case now; people is thinking that they contain the virus, and, one bad move, shxt storm hits them. BTW, Does Taiwan act like us, stop everything ?

Your understanding of this entire situation is completely faulty. As I told you before, we haven't stopped everything.

Reactions: racerjoe

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

If you don't extend a non-essential business shut down through to May, you are in effect not taking Covid-19 seriously. Re-opening areas in April under the guise that there aren't many cases in that area at that time is playing with wildfire on dry grassland. Maybe it works out in some cases and while in others, it can go sideways quickly with no good way to contain until it's too late.

I'm sensitive to the idea that people are out of work. It's a terrible situation to be in. Luckily most of those people will be re-hired after a responsibly-managed pause period. In the meantime, there are government measures in place to make sure that most will not slip through the cracks - unemployment, eviction pause, credit score pause, small business loans, etc. That's even true of the heartless country I'm currently residing in.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
C'mon guy, no one in here is saying we are going to be open season in April. We must have a plan now.

ANyway, here we are (I know that we haven't stopped everything) which I believe that we can not live like his on mid-JUNE.
L2310324.JPG

We must have a plan to move at least some areas like this:
71wuOV6vrQL._SL1372_.jpg

That is all I am saying :popcorn:

BTW, TWN, H.K., S.K. and JPN was like this before, but they start to find that the foods are too stale, may need to turn to MRE now.
triple-o-s-hong-kong.jpg

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
C'mon guy, no one in here is saying we are going to be open season in April. We must have a plan now.

ANyway, here we are (I know that we haven't stopped everything) which I believe that we can not live like his on mid-JUNE.
L2310324.JPG

We must have a plan to move at least some areas like this:
71wuOV6vrQL._SL1372_.jpg

That is all I am saying :popcorn:

BTW, TWN, H.K., S.K. and JPN was like this before, but they start to find that the foods are too stale, may need to turn to MRE now.
triple-o-s-hong-kong.jpg

Look I’m all for taking this super serious and all but at this point there hasn’t been talk if any breakdowns in supply chains related to food; if you have proof show us the links that there are supply chain break downs.

moving to MREs is a step or two past where we are or where we are projected to go.

Now either post some proof that the supply chains for food are breaking down or stop making stuff up.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Trump bragging about his TV ratings at a time during a massive pandemic is asinine to the fullest, he literally thinks this is a reality TV show.

Ratings to him mean more than the pandemic, this guy is just the worst.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Trump bragging about his TV ratings at a time during a massive pandemic is asinine to the fullest, he literally thinks this is a reality TV show.

Ratings to him mean more than the pandemic, this guy is just the worst.

nar·cis·sist
/ˈnärsəsəst/
noun
a person who has an excessive interest in or admiration of themselves.
"narcissists who think the world revolves around them"

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yesterday, Trump told his daily campaign rally crowd of reporters (disguised as the COVID-19 daily update) that during the past night he had had a "very good phone call" with the Chinese President, Xi Jinping. They spent an hour talking about the virus and nothing else.

Today he thinks he's talking about putting NY, NJ, and Connecticut under a state wide quarantine. Of course he has no Constitutional right to do such, but the CDC can and he owns them just like any dictator owns his govt agencies. XI did just that in China. Brought in the military and put every citizen under strict house arrest.

Tonight it's no quarantine, but directed a "strong travel advisory" on the 3 states for the next 14 days. Cuomo said that would amount to "federal declaration of war." He also said Trump never mentioned it to him in a morning phone call they had. He believed it would be illegal, economically catastrophic. preposterous and shortsighted when other parts of the country are seeing cases rise too. "If you start walling off areas all across the country, it will be totally bizarre, counterproductive, anti-American, anti-social. he added that locking down the nation's financial capital would shock the stock market and "paralyze the economy" at a time when Trump is itching to get the economy back on track.

Just another example of how the orange turd just takes the last piece of advice he's received from one of his cronies and walks it out there without actually running it by anyone who actually understands constitutional law and what the consequences of his actions would be. This idea came form Xi who did it and Governor Rick Scott from Florida whose state is fast becoming another hot spot partly because he won't take a stand to limit his state's population's behavior, but mayors like Miami for instance finally did. Scott wanted the quarantine to stop New Yorkers from bringing it to his state since so many own condos and winter homes there. Scott is the same governor who allowed the college Spring break kids from all over the country to fill up the state's hotels, restaurants, and beaches for the sake of the state's economy before folding under state and national scrutiny. Now, it's the fault of those kids that his state is in trouble because you know virus bugs don't travel the world and enter his state in a 1000 ways. So, keep New Yorkers out. Yes, travel of NY residents to Florida is a bad idea, but so is travel of folks from anywhere to his state unhealthy, both for themselves and and his state's citizens. Like Trump, the Republican mantra is to always find someone to blame for any problems they might have and then declare them the enemy and attack, attack, attack and their followers follow along like sheep.

See Trump is under incredible scrutiny and criticism for his mishandling of this calamity from the get go. So, he has been doing everything in his bag of tricks to divert the blame to anyone or anything else. He throws one piece of fecal matter after another at the wall and hopes some will stick and it has not been working. In fact, it's just digging his hole deeper and deeper. 90% of the nations mayors who responded to a nationwide poll reported they lack sufficient test kits, face masks, other PPEs, and medical workers and 85% said they didn't have enough ventilators for their hospitals.

"Despite their best efforts, most cities do not have and cannot obtain adequate equipment and supplies needed to protect their residents. This is a life-threatening crisis that will continue unless the federal government does everything in its power to help us safeguard our first responders and health care workers - our first line of defense - and the millions." This from the U.S Conference of Mayors.

For example Every city will tell you how many masks they have and how many they will need. Louisville's mayor said his city had 255,000 and needed 1,000,000. All the cities report similar on what they have and the counts are way below their expected needs. Trump trumpeted with pride that they had shipped 9,000,000 masks. Coumo's hospitals, police force, fire fighters, and medical first responders burn through that number in a couple days.

In response Trump is skeptical of their demands. "I have a feeling the numbers that are being said in some areas are just bigger than they're going to be."

This man has proclaimed himself to be a war time president. Thank God he was never the man when we were actually fighting the big World Wars because we would have lost. This man is so unaware of just what is happening to his citizenry as he is still more concerned with his ego and his election prospects than any other occurrence on this earth.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the U.S. infectious disease expert, predicting that the U.S. will eventually have more than 100,000 deaths and as many as two million COVID-19 infections.

And a certain number of those deaths are on the hands of Trump and his cadre of right-wing mouthpieces at Fox News and elsewhere on the Web who scorned this Pandemic in its early days.. And now we read that 'the Donald' lobbied to have his signature on every economic stimulus check going out to hundreds of millions of American. As if to remind them who to vote for in November.

And it might be working.....his poll numbers are the highest they'be been in months. I have a lot of friends and relatives in the U.S....and I'm deeply worried for them. The U.S. is in a very bad place right now.

Stay safe down there B.G. We can only pray that the individual States and their Governors like Andrew Cuomo rally to beat this scourge....and that by Fall, the Aud will be rocking again with Utica Comets hockey.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This pandemic is showing the lack of leadership Trump is displaying. Instead of calming the United States, he’s making it all about him.

They need a leader who leads, not deflects.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This afternoon he threw his newest piece of shit on the wall. (paraphrase) "The US, if they had done nothing, would have had 2.2 million deaths. 2.2 million! Now the model shows because of our great work we could have a few as 100,000 deaths. That's still a lot but compared to 2.2 million that was a hell of a job."

See, he throws out a number from a hat and any number that comes in lower proves he did a fantastic job. He hopes no one will connect the dots and show that he could have done so much better if he hadn't spent 2 months doing absolutely nothing.

He still thinks June 1 at the latest and this thing will be totally under control and the country can move forward. That was the farthest date he floated following it up with maybe by the end of April since that's how long he is extending the current national restrictions.

His self applause tonight was even more than I could bear and I had to turn it off after he attacked the 3rd reporter for printing false news. That was after the guy read exactly what he had said last Friday about not calling the Governors in Washington state and Michigan because they didn't "appreciate me."and he tried to say it wasn't what he said.

Reactions: Tuck Frump

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have friends and relatives in the U.S. and have traveled extensively in that country.

And what's truly heartbreaking to me is contemplate how many wonderful, committed and dedicated people there are in every state and region. They're dedicated to the welfare off their communities and do their best to help others in times of crisis. Good people who love and are loved.

But all this goodwill and neighborliness is undermined by the ugly truth of Washington, and by the men who get elected to the highest office. "We the people' either need to re-write the constitution or devolve power to the States and Cities, where governors and mayors are more accountable and dedicated to solving local issues.

The problem now is, that while the Governors and Mayors know what they need, they can't get it from FEMA or any other Federal Agencies who are paralyzed by a vain, vacuous and venal presidency.

It's a sad and perplexing mess.

Reactions: Tuck Frump
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad