NHL rookies that regress year after year like NBA Simmons + Kuzma

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ben Simmons once upon a time was touted as being someone that could challenge for best player in the world pre-draft if everything went well. His combination of size, skill, athleticism and basketball IQ seemed to be rivalled in the NBA by only LeBron James.

This guy's career has not gone the way it should have. I don't know if there's an NHLer that can compare to what Simmons has shown the first few years of his career. Maybe Dion Phaneuf? Other guys listed either were not projected to become much, didn't have crazy hype behind them, or peaked in year 1 but had legitimately great careers still (like Selanne).

Simmons is just downhill year after year after year, yet somehow makes All Star teams.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Kind of obvious who actually follows the NBA and who "tunes in" during playoff time. Simmons since his rookie year: 3x all star (all star in the NBA means something, it's not a participation thing like the NHL), 2x 1st team defensive (top 3 DPOY this year, can legitimately guard 1-5 at an elite level), 1x all NBA 3rd team, 1x steals leader. Regularly among the league leaders in assists and steals. Yeah he can't shoot. But to say he's regressed as a player is just wrong. He is an absolute elite passer and defender and an all star, but in his rookie season was none of those. So he hasn't regressed. Actually watch the season and not just a couple of playoff games before jumping to conclusions.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Here's an interesting thought exercise: Name the best player you can think of for whom these criteria apply.

I'll start the bidding at Teemu Selanne, who set a blistering pace at 76 goals in his rookie season, never matched that pace again, and still put together a Hall of Fame career. His rookie peak was just that high.

Selanne didn't regress from the rookie season though (I mean he did eventually, just not immediately). He had seasons where he was all around better than he was in '92.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad