NHL rookies that regress year after year like NBA Simmons + Kuzma

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I mean, from a stats only perspective, Barzal. Though a lot of that has to do with not being sheltered by Tavares like he was the first season, and Trotz turning him into a two way player. Still, 85 points his first year and not close after.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
A lot of Oilers and Blues hmm

It's true. Edmonton has tried to answer this question alot over the years.

To quote our President "There's something in the water here"

I honestly believe it. I don't know what it is but even with McDavid it hasn't really got a lot better which is freaky.
We talk about depth but I just think Edmonton has a hard time motivating its players or getting buy in from them.

Everyone blames McDavid and Leon for Edmontons lack of playoff success. The real issue to me is they can't get the same level of buy in and motivation from their depth players.
Montreal does a great Job getting this from their players. Edmonton is pretty much the opposite.
If you're not a highly motivated individual then Edmonton does nothing to provide the support or whatever it is to help get the most out of its players.

Take Zach Kassian for instance.

Comes to Edmonton and gets his life back in order.
Plays some great hockey for the 2017 run.
Then totally regresses and is a shell of that player until... 2019-2020.. contract time bitches!
Plays awesome until the day he signs in 2020 and immediately.. and I mean the f***ing day it's signed.... regresses back to his completely ineffective have you seen the play self.
2020 playins come along.. he's beyond awful.. a ghost. Excuse... needs fans to be effective.
2020-2021 season comes along. Casper returns to life game 3 of the Winnipeg series. 1 whole game he had a pulse in this year.

So now what do you do?
You have a player your happy that got his life put together. Had a kid. You're happy for him on the human level.
On this Ice he's a giant pile of horse dung. He's completely lost if not checked out.
Whatever the reason. He's one of those guys that contributes to Edmonton having such a horrendous bottom 6.
Are we doomed to have shitty hockey players every time they have a kid or get married?

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Simmons is just lazy. How are you a PG in the NBA and you can't shoot ? Even if you entered the league with a bad shot, you work on it. Every kid at the local rec centre can shoot better than him. He just refuses to work on his craft and plays scared. Extremely over rated with shit work ethic. There's absolutely no excuse why a starting NBA PG, a #1 overall pick can't shoot the basketball. It's not even regression really, it's just him being exposed. It's not like he's worse than his rookie year, he just hasn't really improved at all and was always this bad of a shooter. The only comparable is Yakupov. I wouldn't diss Laine by putting his name next to Simmons.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I mean, from a stats only perspective, Barzal. Though a lot of that has to do with not being sheltered by Tavares like he was the first season, and Trotz turning him into a two way player. Still, 85 points his first year and not close after.
To me, Barzal really passes the eye test as an elite playmaker, so I could definitely see him surpass that rookie number at some point

Reactions: MakoSlade

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Robert Thomas has been trending this way lately. Hopefully he can turn it around.

Thomas was my first thought

Wtf is going on with him??.. I was pumped on him before this year

I thought forsure he would break out massively this season

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Tyreke Evans
Michael Carter-Williams
Brandon Knight
MarShon Brooks
Jeremy Lin
Brandon Jennings
Roy Hibbert
Emmanuel Mudiay
OJ Mayo

:sarcasm:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Even from a stats only perspective Barzal hasn't continually regressed. His PPG stats in 2019/20 and 2020/21 were both better than 2018/19. The decreased absolute numbers were due to Covid and not an injury, so you can't pin it on Barzal in any way.

Barzal looks more like a guy who had a sophomore slump and is now getting continually better and better. Not really what the OP was going for.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Thomas was my first thought

Wtf is going on with him??.. I was pumped on him before this year

I thought forsure he would break out massively this season

That's been the expectation but he's just become less and less noticeable. No clue what's going on with him.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I'm surprised that nobody said Jack Hughes or Hischier yet. :squint:
That's because neither of them had a good rookie season to begin with. There's nowhere to go but up for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad