NHL rookies that regress year after year like NBA Simmons + Kuzma

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Sam Gagner. Eh, I guess he didn't really get progressively worse. He peaked and was then kinda just consistently mediocre for a long time.

Reactions: DaveG

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Petr Prucha, Andrew Raycroft, Michael Grabner, Matt Read, Olli Maatta, Peter Mueller, Marek Svatos, Trent Hunter. Maybe not year after year, but never were the same.

Maatta was never really GOOD. Agreed otherwise

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Here's an interesting thought exercise: Name the best player you can think of for whom these criteria apply.

I'll start the bidding at Teemu Selanne, who set a blistering pace at 76 goals in his rookie season, never matched that pace again, and still put together a Hall of Fame career. His rookie peak was just that high.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
RNH as mentioned. In his rookie season there was a lot of hype around him. I saw it regularly even in Vancouver.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
One that might be a good one is Michael Grabner. He was held back by the Canucks and with the Islanders he put up 52 points in just 76 games.

Boner Champ

Feb 22, 2014
Here's an interesting thought exercise: Name the best player you can think of for whom these criteria apply.

I'll start the bidding at Teemu Selanne, who set a blistering pace at 76 goals in his rookie season, never matched that pace again, and still put together a Hall of Fame career. His rookie peak was just that high.
How about Joe Juneau? Selanne's main competition for ROY that year and got incrementally worse with each successive season.

Ken Hodge Jr. is another guy that comes to mind. 30 goal rookie season & made all-rookie team. Then couldn't even stick in the league.

Mason and RNH were also guys that came to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->