NHL Rogers Live, Anyone Use It?

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Looking at cancelling cable and was wondering if anyone used NHL Rogers Live last year to watch Oilers games?

Would this cover all 82 Oilers games, or do they mix in a blackout sometimes?

How is the quality? Is it a little bit choppy, or exactly as good as watching on cable HD? Im guessing a minute or so time delay behind the TV feeds also?

Thanks!

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Quality is good. Depends on the device used to stream and the speed provided by your isp. I think there's a 10-15 second delay vs. live tv broadcast.

I guess my post broke about 200 hf rules. So i got rid of the good stuff.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I used it for Vegas Knights games last year. As long as your internet/wifi is consistent, you'll be fine. The service is much better than in years past. But I'm fairly certain they'll blackout any games televised in your area. They want to push you towards the Sportsnet Now package for Oilers broadcasts, which is $25/month.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Looking at cancelling cable and was wondering if anyone used NHL Rogers Live last year to watch Oilers games?

Would this cover all 82 Oilers games, or do they mix in a blackout sometimes?

How is the quality? Is it a little bit choppy, or exactly as good as watching on cable HD? Im guessing a minute or so time delay behind the TV feeds also?

Thanks!

If you live in Oilers region you will be blacked out. Quality is vg to excellent, depending on the feed - better than your tv provider. If you like dvr functions, it is not as smooth to rewind, slo motion etc as tv.

McDavids Nurse

Sep 9, 2018
Worthless unless you live out of region. I got it thinking it would be good for when I'm working out of town but since the entire province is the Oilers region it didn't matter if I was the Grande Prairie or Medicine Hat, games were blacked out. Pretty expensive to just have to use illegal streams anyway. Illegal streams were smoother anyway

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
Can I use NHL Rogers Live abroad - in Germany? Does it show all 82 matches, home and away? Do I need any additional hardware? (I watch on a pretty decent computer.) And are there any alternatives out there for watching Oilers games live on a legal stream?

I would very much appreciate any help, especially from people who watch the Oilers in Europe. Thanks in advance.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Can I use NHL Rogers Live abroad - in Germany? Does it show all 82 matches, home and away? Do I need any additional hardware? (I watch on a pretty decent computer.) And are there any alternatives out there for watching Oilers games live on a legal stream?

I would very much appreciate any help, especially from people who watch the Oilers in Europe. Thanks in advance.

I have used Rogers NHL Live while travelling through Europe (specifically Ireland, England, France and the Netherlands). You will have access to every televised NHL game, both home and away. Blackouts will only impact you if you are located in the regional broadcast zone. I don't know enough about European television, but if there are national NHL broadcasts, you may be blacked out from watching - but that never an issue in my experience.

If you prefer watching using your computer, then you won't require additional hardware. I use a Roku to watch, however the Rogers Live website lists a number of other compatible devices.

I do not know of any legal alternative streaming services.

Reactions: Debbie Mathers

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
I have used Rogers NHL Live while travelling through Europe (specifically Ireland, England, France and the Netherlands). You will have access to every televised NHL game, both home and away. Blackouts will only impact you if you are located in the regional broadcast zone. I don't know enough about European television, but if there are national NHL broadcasts, you may be blacked out from watching - but that never an issue in my experience.

If you prefer watching using your computer, then you won't require additional hardware. I use a Roku to watch, however the Rogers Live website lists a number of other compatible devices.

I do not know of any legal alternative streaming services.
Wow - thanks for that!

Being blacked out is not something I am afraid of. I don't expect any Oilers matches being shown live on German television.

As far as legal alternatives go - NHL.TV offers a deal for $120 which is called "All Access". Am I right in assuming that basically every single NHL game will be available there?

The main thing for me is the quality of the stream. Being on the legal side of things would be a bonus, and I am happy to pay for a legal service, but only if the quality is better than the various illegal alternatives. @slaman said that the pirated versions are better. If that was the case, I wouldn't bother going legal. Can anyone confirm his view?

Thanks.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I pay for it but I stream the games from another source that is much higher quality

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
(rogers customer in vancouver) i just got notified that Rogers NHL Gamecentre won't be "free' with my plan as it has been for the last 5 years. said they'd offer a 25% discount for customers. not too chapped as i wasn't over the moon about the product. i like to watch game in a media bubble and skip back on plays lots and it was cumbersome for that. currently researching new options.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Wow - thanks for that!

Being blacked out is not something I am afraid of. I don't expect any Oilers matches being shown live on German television.

As far as legal alternatives go - NHL.TV offers a deal for $120 which is called "All Access". Am I right in assuming that basically every single NHL game will be available there?

The main thing for me is the quality of the stream. Being on the legal side of things would be a bonus, and I am happy to pay for a legal service, but only if the quality is better than the various illegal alternatives. @slaman said that the pirated versions are better. If that was the case, I wouldn't bother going legal. Can anyone confirm his view?

Thanks.

Quality is very good on Rogers Live. There are definitely a ton of pirated/streamed for free options. But I found that the guarantee of having the game ready to watch whenever I wanted was worth the fee.

edit - Also, the account provides up to 5 consecutive sign-ins. So if you have someone else interested in the service, sharing the cost may be an option. You may want to confirm that this is still true before proceeding.

Last edited:

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for the feedback!

Because I live in the Oilers region, Rogers live is rendered useless to me. Doesn't make a ton of sense why Rogers Live will blackout their own feed 'Rogers Sportsnet' regionally.

Understandably why Rogers Sportsnet regional would blackout something like NHL Centre Ice, but this is literally blacking themselves out.

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
But I found that the guarantee of having the game ready to watch whenever I wanted was worth the fee.
Not sure if I read this correctly... by saying "whenever I wanted", does that mean you can watch the stream at any time, not necessarily live? This is important to me, as most home games and away games in the west will start around 5am local time in Germany, and I often get up at around 5.30 am to 6am. Would I be able to watch the match from the start at say, 6am, if it actually started at 5am?
Apologies if this question turns out to be utterly stupid, but I'm not exacty an expert on those things. If you need advice on Burmese kittens, I'm more than happy to help you out! :D

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Not sure if I read this correctly... by saying "whenever I wanted", does that mean you can watch the stream at any time, not necessarily live? This is important to me, as most home games and away games in the west will start around 5am local time in Germany, and I often get up at around 5.30 am to 6am. Would I be able to watch the match from the start at say, 6am, if it actually started at 5am?
Apologies if this question turns out to be utterly stupid, but I'm not exacty an expert on those things. If you need advice on Burmese kittens, I'm more than happy to help you out! :D
Yes, that is correct. It's like having every game automatically recorded. I'd suggest turning on the "hide scores" option as well.

Last edited:

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
Just dug out that old thread wondering what the legal options are to watch streams of the Oilers regular season games this year. Could anyone enlighten me to how I can watch all 82 Oilers games in Germany? Any help would be much appreciated.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just dug out that old thread wondering what the legal options are to watch streams of the Oilers regular season games this year. Could anyone enlighten me to how I can watch all 82 Oilers games in Germany? Any help would be much appreciated.

You should be able to watch them using the NHL app. I travel abroad a lot and watch the games all the time using the app. You can replay games as well so you don’t have to get up at 4 AM to watch them live.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I've been using this service for many years now. I live in Ontario so the only games that are blacked out for me are when they play the leafs. In Europe there shouldn't be any blackouts. Those in Alberta, this isn't the service for you unless you combine it with a VPN.

In terms of quality: I have the app on my android phone, android box, chromecast, PS4 and have also watched on my computer. The quality will depend on your hardware, WiFi strength (if not plugged in) and speed from the ISP. My android box is older and so there is a slight lag that is visible. Best quality is on the PS4 I would say (I don't watch off the computer much at all - computer is probably best). I use the chromecast the most as it's on my main TV. Combine that with my google home in the same room and all controls are using voice. "OK google, fast forward 1 minute and 40 seconds on TV" gets you easily past each commercial.

In terms of delayed start, archived viewing: I never watch games live, or very rarely at least, as I'm like a child and need to be in bed by 10, plus I hate commercials. So I'll start a game 30 minutes in or later, and/or watch/finish next day. I skip all commercials and usually intermissions. There's a couple options in your settings you will want to check. Hide scores set to ON and start games from the beginning set to ON. It won't matter when you start the game, it'll always start at the beginning and you wont know the score. I've complained to NHL to remove the timeline bar when hide scores is enabled. In a 1 goal game you can see that there's 2 minutes of video time left, so obv there isn't OT coming up. PS4 has it removed. Other apps don't.

DVR controls are device dependent. I like the way the PS4 handles it the most. Using ChromeCast, once you cast from your android phone to TV, you lose the DVR controls from your phone. Voice only at that point. Silly. Plus timeline bar is exposed whenever you FFWD, RWD, PAUSE.

NHL accidentally left the 25% off coupon active from last year on their site. I managed to jump on that and pretend I was in Alberta to save on taxes. Came to $142CAD total. Cheaper than any other alternative except the 1 team option the US has.

There's non legal options that work well also. But bc of the way I watch, they wouldn't work for me. For the convenience, this is the best option.

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
You should be able to watch them using the NHL app.

I've been using this service for many years now.
Thanks a lot, your help is very much appreciated!

Just to be clear - when you talk about "the NHL app", you are referring to the service that I can purchase from the NHL website (NHL.com/subscribe, plans, 2019-2020 All Access Pass for USD 129.99), right? Just asking because "app" sounds to someone like me, who regularly has to ask his 13-year-old son for help with techy stuff, like something that would only run on a smartphone. I want to watch on my computer - once my son has installed this thingy. :nod:

Haha ... wow. I’m living in the dark ages.
Probably not as dark as mine. I don't even own a smartphone... :D

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Just to be clear - when you talk about "the NHL app", you are referring to the service that I can purchase from the NHL website (NHL.com/subscribe, plans, 2019-2020 All Access Pass for USD 129.99), right? Just asking because "app" sounds to someone like me, who regularly has to ask his 13-year-old son for help with techy stuff, like something that would only run on a smartphone. I want to watch on my computer - once my son has installed this thingy. :nod:

Probably not as dark as mine. I don't even own a smartphone... :D

Lol yes and the nice thing is once you buy it you can watch from your app on a smartphone, tablet, computer or television streaming device like Apple TV or Google Play.

I also buy the NHL package from Bell satellite tv every year and sometimes I will have a game on my TV, a different game on my iPhone with the NHL app, and a different game on my tablet. But this is usually at playoff time lol

My wife thinks I am slightly addicted to watching hockey games....

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Lol yes and the nice thing is once you buy it you can watch from your app on a smartphone, tablet, computer or television streaming device like Apple TV or Google Play.

I also buy the NHL package from Bell satellite tv every year and sometimes I will have a game on my TV, a different game on my iPhone with the NHL app, and a different game on my tablet. But this is usually at playoff time lol

My wife thinks I am slightly addicted to watching hockey games....

You can also watch 4 games at once (I believe it's still 4) on one screen if you are watching on your computer. But i'm sure the computer screen divided into 4 may be a little small for each game unless you have it hooked up to your TV.

Just a suggestion instead of paying for it twice.

I'm the same as you though. At this time of the year and if i can still stand hockey come playoff time, there's always hockey on in my house. But if the oilers pull out their usual suckage where it kills the game for me, then that doesn't happen.

As the above poster said, once you purchase the subscription, you can watch it on any device. If you are going to watch on your computer, there is nothing to install. Just go to the website NHL.TV and choose what game you want to watch. If possible, have your son also connect your computer to a TV for a better viewing experience.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
You can also watch 4 games at once (I believe it's still 4) on one screen if you are watching on your computer. But i'm sure the computer screen divided into 4 may be a little small for each game unless you have it hooked up to your TV.

Just a suggestion instead of paying for it twice.

I'm the same as you though. At this time of the year and if i can still stand hockey come playoff time, there's always hockey on in my house. But if the oilers pull out their usual suckage where it kills the game for me, then that doesn't happen.

As the above poster said, once you purchase the subscription, you can watch it on any device. If you are going to watch on your computer, there is nothing to install. Just go to the website NHL.TV and choose what game you want to watch. If possible, have your son also connect your computer to a TV for a better viewing experience.
Or Apple TV using the NHL App

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
for me (living in NB) it's pretty great. The only time games are blacked out, they're on regular TSN or Sportsnet (east for me).

Quality has been improving yearly (I usually use my PS4 to watch the games), of both the app and the stream.

I literally watch nothing on cable TV and have no idea why I have it or what the purpose of it is (I also have android boxes all over the place w/ kodi/seren/exodus, etc). As it's part of my rogers 'package', I presume if I called in to cancel my cable subscription, they'd answer with something like 'Sure sir. Your bill will be $1.29 cheaper next and subsequent months'. I'm sure they realize cable is useless as well.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
My question would be, did they find a way to start sneaking ads onto those services? I have not used stuff like Centre Ice for about a decade, i am sure its changed quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad