NHL Rivalry Series: Pittsburgh and Philadelphia

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Even as hockey leagues all over the world take a hiatus, the Last Word on Hockey team is still devoted to publishing quality content in the absence of live sports. Such begins a new series: the NHL Rivalry Breakdown.

Each article will take a look at two longtime rivals and break down how the rivalry came to be, how the teams stack up against each other currently, and how the matchup may look down the road. In the latest edition of our NHL Rivalry series: we take a look at the exciting rivalry between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers.

NHL Rivalry Breakdown: Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I hate the Flyers.

Both teams haven't really been fighting at top of standings or deep into playoffs enough lately for the rivalry to be hot. It is a mutual desire to win when playing, but, I think the players and turnover would say it is much colder than it was.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They embarrassed us in 2012 before being shutdown by the Devils in the next round. They haven’t done anything since. It’s funny because they were the “get hot at the right time” team before the season came to a halt.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The Pens had never beat Flyers in a playoff series until the Crosby/Malkin era.

That Crosby and Malkin have both owned that team for their whole careers is a huge part of their legacies for me.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I think this rivalry has gone away because they don't employ a-holes like Gudas and others throughout their lineup as in years past.

The hate of 87 seems to have been tempered a bit by him repeatedly breaking their hearts. In the game earlier this year when 87 scored the winner in ot, the tone of Jones (or their other guy) voice as he said something to the effect of “Crosby beats the Flyers again” was typical.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Lot of turnover in Philly over the years from Richards/Carter to Hartnell/Simmonds to now.
The height of it(Sid/G era) was that 2012 season and series.
That was nuts.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I’d be happy to go the rest of my life with never hearing the name Keith Primeau again.

Well, to offset the bad memories, at least it should remind you of Wayne Primeau’s golden years with the Pens.

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I’d be happy to go the rest of my life with never hearing the name Keith Primeau again.

That 5OT loss was heartbreaking. Pens probably don't take the series even if they won, but still.....I think that game was still going at like 2am Pacific time!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lot of turnover in Philly over the years from Richards/Carter to Hartnell/Simmonds to now.
The height of it(Sid/G era) was that 2012 season and series.
That was nuts.
The last bit of it was the concussions to Dumoulin and Jake in separate games in the last 2-3 seasons. But outside of that, the Pens rivalry with the Capitals has been at an all time high, hell I think the Jackets have a heated rivalry that is more than what the Pens vs Flyers has become lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->