Proposal: NHL Reffing - Bruins target, conspiracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
These past couple games have made it clear that the puppet masters at the upper echelon of the nhl organization, for whatever reason, do NOT want the Bruins to win games and are willing to go to great lengths to strip them of valuable points before entering the playoffs. I'm sure there is some money making aim they have in mind (changing seeding, playoff match-ups, etc???)

Tldr The Bruins have become victims of a systematic process of intimidation and manipulation the likes of which I believe has never been seen in professional sports.

That said I still believe the Bruins can win the cup. The NHL can't make it too obvious what they are doing without enraging the fans. There's only so much they can do, and I don't think it will be enough to stop the Bruins. As it is now you have to look carefully and with discerning eyes but the more layers you peel on this thing the more it stinks.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
These past couple games have made it clear that the puppet masters at the upper echelon of the nhl organization, for whatever reason, do NOT want the Bruins to win games and are willing to go to great lengths to strip them of valuable points before entering the playoffs. I'm sure there is some money making aim they have in mind (changing seeding, playoff match-ups, etc???)

Tldr The Bruins have become victims of a systematic process of intimidation and manipulation the likes of which I believe has never been seen in professional sports.

That said I still believe the Bruins can win the cup. The NHL can't make it too obvious what they are doing without enraging the fans. There's only so much they can do, and I don't think it will be enough to stop the Bruins. As it is now you have to look carefully and with discerning eyes but the more layers you peel on this thing the more it stinks.
Your user name is a misnomer

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
The NHL officiating just sucks.

It's too bad we've been bent over the past 2 games, but we'll get some calls soon enough. These games don't matter, might as well get screwed now.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I guess the messed up when the Bruins got a call late in the third. That was a weak call against Toronto.

Puppet masters need new strings, I guess.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
We were on the road against 2 playoff bubble teams so of course we aren't going to get the calls. The league makes more money with TO and Detroit in the playoffs

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It's sheer incompetence, not conspiracy.

But, the Bruins style of play, i.e. sticking up for teammates or themselves and not diving, doesn't mesh well with the over reactive and generally poor officiating that we see most nights.

I swear some of these officials were traumatized by watching hockey fights as kids because they seem to try to do anything they can to prevent them, when much of the time they're better off letting them happen and thereby ending the dispute.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It's sheer incompetence, not conspiracy.

But, the Bruins style of play, i.e. sticking up for teammates or themselves and not diving, doesn't mesh well with the over reactive and generally poor officiating that we see most nights.

I swear some of these officials were traumatized by watching hockey fights as kids because they seem to try to do anything they can to prevent them, when much of the time they're better off letting them happen and thereby ending the dispute.

This.

No conspiracy, just bad officiating league wide. Far too often, the refs call the result of a play instead of the play itself (Krug last night).

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
No conspiracy, just bad officiating league wide.

How does this get fixed? If it is truly this bad -- and I am not saying it isn't -- this fan base cannot be the only people seeing it. You don't see this pervasive level of incompetence at a pro level in any other sport so why the NHL?

I think part of the problem -- maybe the biggest part of the problem -- is the game is so fast now that it is virtually impossible to see the infractions from ice level. I think there needs to be an off-ice official (or two) watching the game from the rafters or thereabouts that can participate in the calls, both missed and false/bogus.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
How does this get fixed? If it is truly this bad -- and I am not saying it isn't -- this fan base cannot be the only people seeing it. You don't see this pervasive level of incompetence at a pro level in any other sport so why the NHL?

I think part of the problem -- maybe the biggest part of the problem -- is the game is so fast now that it is virtually impossible to see the infractions from ice level. I think there needs to be an off-ice official (or two) watching the game from the rafters or thereabouts that can participate in the calls, both missed and false/bogus.

The issue is there are too many calls that can be borderline or close. That call late in the third against Toronto had been happening all game long. That call against Krug could have gone either way as well. It's those borderline calls that really make the officiating look bad. They let it go all game then call it as a make up call because someone caught a high stick.

I don't mind these calls as much. I understand how hard it is to call it right 100% of the time due to the nature of the penalty. The non goal call against Chara for goalie interference was bad, the missed call against Kessel last night (a 4 minute minor) was just as bad. Those are the calls the NHL needs to get right 100% of the time, and the refusal to change the rules for video review is at the heart of this. Time to get with the program NHL.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I think the speed of the game is part of it, but I disagree that you don't see it in other sports. IMO, the NBA is worse and MLB is pretty bad as well, which is why all these leagues are instituting video replay measures.

Officiating is not an easy job. I reffed intramural hockey in college and it sucked. I had to listen to a bunch of guys like me crying when I missed a call :laugh:

Seriously, I think that it's always been a difficult job and tons of mistakes were made. The difference is that with the advent of HD and 9000 cameras at each game, the fan at home now has a better view than the on-ice officials, which makes every close call a debate. My biggest issue is and always has been consistency. I realize that calls will be missed, it's inevitable, but have the same criteria for both teams from the drop of the puck through the 3rd OT. Also, call the play, not the result, which would eliminate a lot of the diving.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Great. Now this thread will be pointed out everywhere else on the HFBoards as evidence that Bruins fans are just as whiny as Habs fans are about officials..

The best part is that it's started by a poster who I never even heard of before (alt?)

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
NHL refereeing is inconsistent and arbitrary.

The notion of a conspiracy is embarrassing.

Also, I hate the Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad