Scott Cherrey #50 – 2nd Cup Final
Greg Devorski #54 – 4th Cup Final
Pierre Racicot #65 – 10th Cup Final

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Well, there hasn't been anyone in particular that has impressed so one is as good (or bad) as the next I guess. It's how games are officiated that is the problem not the refs themselves. Changing refs isn't going to change a thing.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
McCauley is my favorite on this list. Good to see his leg injury is ok- he had to leave game 6 when he fell awkwardly.

Dwyer's not too bad- I can handle him.
Bruins were 6-1 or 7-1 with Rooney including playoffs I believe the best record with a ref

They weren’t good with Dwyer

McCauley is the best but has a lot of legendary Wally Harris who lets them play

These are two teams who generally are very disciplined and play clean and fair

Reactions: Boston Bandit

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
REFEREES

WM04.jpg

Wes McCauley - Georgetown, ON - 7th Cup Final

CR05.jpg

Chris Rooney - Boston, MA - 4th Cup Final

KS11.jpg

Kelly Sutherland - Richmond, BC - 6th Cup Final

GD19.jpg

Gord Dwyer - Sackville, NS - 1st Cup Final

SK40.jpg

Steve Kozari - Penticton, BC - 2nd Cup Final

LINESMEN

Derek Amell #75 – 7th Cup Final
Scott Cherrey #50 – 2nd Cup Final
Greg Devorski #54 – 4th Cup Final
Pierre Racicot #65 – 10th Cup Final

Top to bottom..

Fair
God Awful
Sucks
Sucks
Lousy

Reactions: jangerhofer

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Bruins were 6-1 or 7-1 with Rooney including playoffs I believe the best record with a ref

They weren’t good with Dwyer

McCauley is the best but has a lot of legendary Wally Harris who lets them play

These are two teams who generally are very disciplined and play clean and fair
Blues are hitting in a way to take players out of series.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
As an aside...

This is yet another example of just how dumb the NHL is.

Put aside the fact that Rooney is terrible, the fact that they’d allow a ref born in Boston to referee a SCF that includes the Bruins is asinine.

I know I’d be ticked off if a St. Louis native was reffing,

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Lt. Commander Data pre-emotion chip could officiate the game and there would still be posters saying he hates the Bruins
I barely say much negative about the refs- they're human and make mistakes. They are also on the ice where it looks different than from our view on the TV or in the stands. There are about 3 or 4 though, that most times, seem to take pleasure in putting our guys in the box.

I absolutely hate admitting this, but Rooney's last game was decent- I actually forgot he was one of the refs. Chris Lee is another one who also irks me.

I don't have anything against Peel and Joannette, but when they ref together, it's hysterical if your team isn't involved, watching one guy make a call from the other end of the ice while the one right in front lets it go- these two are priceless together, and it happens every game I've watched when they ref together. They also tend to call more penalties when they are reffing together- sometimes, some of them are so silly- most refs would let some of those things go, but for some reason, they don't. It really disrupts the flow of the game, in my opinion. I swear, it's like they have a power trip when they ref together. I don't see them doing this with other refs in the league, though I could be wrong. Otherwise, they don't bother me- some folks hate them both, but I think they're ok.

Reffing is part of the game, good or bad. Some of us just like to discuss the reffing. Not sure why folks gets so hot in the collar about it.

barstool

Nov 22, 2014
In my opinion Refs and Linesman are being thrown under the bus by the Nhl with coaches challenges and slow motion replays If a team wants to challenge any call they can't watch it in slow motion

Reactions: DKH

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Blues are hitting in a way to take players out of series.
Yep. Their last series was probably their cleanest. Actually they were playing pretty dirty in the regular season as well. They go high a lot and make a ton of marginal hits. I hope the refs keep the Blues' crap under control if they decide to get cheap. I've said it throughout the playoffs, Bs fans are really going to hate the Blues once they start playing them. Blues bitch and moan so much when they get called for about anything, yet try to get away with a lot of stuff. They will gain an advantage in this series if the refs call things very loosely. Not only will they get away with shenanigans in that scenario, but the Bs special teams are simply better than those of the Blues.

As for the refs, I'm amazed that Rooney made it to the SCF. He was awful in multiple games in the playoffs. He has a great ability to let games get out of control, then tries to bring them under control by making awful calls. Man I cannot stand him. I don't care what the Bruins' record is this year with him doing their games. He's trash most of the time I see him.

Kozari has been perhaps worse than Rooney this season. He and Sutherland are masters at calling games according to score and situation. Sutherland is generally tolerable, though, and keeps things under control most games.

Dwyer is hit or miss, but generally calls a fair game. He has improved this season. And of course McCauley is the best of this bunch. There are some legit pretty decent refs in the NHL. Funny how they didn't get chosen for the SCF.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm not sure we see Wes in first 3 games maybe Game 4 health permitting

Agreed - I remember reading somewhere that they typically have four refs for the SCFs, and that the fifth was essentially an "insurance ref" in case McCauley isn't healed up in time to fully participate.

I do have a bit of sympathy for the refs. The game is fast - we have rewind buttons, slo-mo, multiple camera angles. They don't even have a camera - just wherever they happened to be positioned on the ice. It's the balance between "getting it right" and "getting it done" - if every play were reviewed, games would be 5 hours long.

I honestly hesitate to believe the refs have any malice towards a team or a particular player - I don't think they're evil, I just think they're bad sometimes. That's why the refs missed the puck in the net - they weren't angling against the Bruins; they just weren't looking. And, yeah, Marchand's always going to get the "extra look", but...in fairness, he has earned his reputation for playing on the edge. He's not as reckless as he was a few years ago, but every year he DOES get in a cheap shot or two.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Oh good. We’re making dedicated threads for referees now.

I was just thinking that this board needed to put more focus on refs...

It’s like a goddamn epidemic.

The leafs board had an “All Purpose Referee Complaint” thread during the Bs series.

This isn’t that right now. So hopefully, our fans won’t use this as such once the series is under way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad