NHL "redzone"

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
I know alot of people on this site aren't huge fantasy buffs and maybe there is a better location for this post but i just feel like the NHL is missing out big time by not introducing a "red-zone" type program into their marketing. I personally am a really big fan of the NHL daily fantasy apps (draft kings, fan duel etc) and on a day with 8-10 scheduled games i would certainly pay a small monthly fee to have a program that shows every goal of every game moments after they happen live. I understand that red zone is a one day/week event on a day where most people are religiously locked into football but i think this would be the best way to get the casual fan into regular season hockey. This would really heighten the players over the teams and allow for the stars of the game to showcase themselves and shine just like NFL players do instead of the usual "hockey players are team players and the team comes first" mentality that NHL players conduct (as they should).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Could you explain what exactly the concept you're talking about is? Isn't the red zone in football just the last few yards where they're right next to the end zone? Wouldn't the equivalent in hockey be a PP?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Could you explain what exactly the concept you're talking about is? Isn't the red zone in football just the last few yards where they're right next to the end zone? Wouldn't the equivalent in hockey be a PP?

I think he means a channel like NFL Redzone, where they show just the points scored in each game. Mostly. I think. Honestly I don't own NFL channels so I could be wrong

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
I dont think it would work,

In football every game except 2 is on Sunday and with the exception of Sunday night all the games start at one of two times regardless of time zones.

As well they can easily flick back and forth between games because there are so many breaks in play? how afwul would watching a hockey game be if they were flipping it every two seconds.

Its just a different game than football. I personally wouldnt find it beneficial

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What's a red zone?

When a football team is within 20 yards of the end zone they're attacking they're in the "red zone." There's a channel that switches to a game when a team is in the red zone on NFL Sundays.

For an NHL version, they'd probably have to show power plays live and all other scoring plays after they've happened.

I don't think it would be bad, but the different start times and off days of the NHL might make it a little boring if there's nothing going on in the five games that evening.

GeorgesLaRAWK

Mar 12, 2009
Redzone isn't just replaying every scoring play in football, it usually shows them live. That's something a hockey version could never pull off due to the speed of developing scoring plays.

Redzone also shows other noteworthy plays in football games that don't involve scoring, but again they have the advantage frequent stoppages and the ability to see scenarios developing. Hockey is just too fast.

The scoring recaps you're talking about essentially already exist on NHL Gamecenter on On The Fly on NHL Network.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015

solid point...i actually wasn't even thinking of the actual red zone aspect of it i was just wanting a program that is run by the NHL that shows every goal of every game moments after they happen, so that i can turn it on at 7 pm and watch until 12:30-1 am (eastern) and catch all fantasy implications on a given night without having to surf the web BUT i do actually really like the idea that they would show PP's in between goal highlights. Obviously the PP is primarily for star names to get more open ice and more time with the puck so that would go hand in hand with promoting the best players in my eyes

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Nhl on the fly isn't exactly like red zone, because they obviously can't switch right before scoring plays. Howeve, I think they do end up showing most goals.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
You can already watch multiple games at the same time on NHL.tv. Just switch to the screen where there's stuff happening like you're the director.

GeorgesLaRAWK

Mar 12, 2009
Speaking of Redzone, has anyone watched Live P.D. on A&E?

It's essentially a Redzone version of COPS, with a studio host surrounded by live feeds from crews embedded in police departments around the country.

Not long ago, they went to a night vision feed of an officer on the Texas/Mexico border who was in the middle of nowhere, then suddenly he said a few words in Spanish and like 15 border jumpers emerged from the bushes and were KTFO.

It's next level stuff.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Outside of PPs, hockey is far too fluid of a sport to have a "redzone" channel.

Game changes from second to second, it doesn't have the prearranged setups and slow motions that football does.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
On The Fly on NHL Network pretty much serves this purpose already.

When east coast games are live, sure. Once they are done and only 4 west coast games are on all they do is show recaps of those east coast games over and over and over until west coast games have multiple updates they can show at once

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The only thing the NHL is missing right now is bundling NHL Network with NHL.TV, there's just not enough of an audience to experiment with something else. They should put more resources into widening the audience for NHL Network and its overall appeal.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Honestly it's a great idea however it's impossible to do with hockey. NFL redzone just switches to the game(s) that are in the redzone in hockey you cant switch everytime a team carriers it into offensive zone. You'd be switching way too fast.

However the way you could do it is have a show like a sportscentre with a good host or two and show all scoring highlights as soon as it happens or slightly after but the faster the better. Basically a highlight show that shows all the stuff from the game's, goals, hits, penalties or whatever. When not showing highlights just show different games in real time preferably the ones with superstars, or the one that's going end to end the most often. Or the one with all the rough stuff going on and jist switch through them once the pace slows down or a highlight happens. It would be a good way to generate fans that have no team or never really took a liking to watching hockey.

I am a huge football fan and I never was till I played fantasy and watched redzone for the first time. Now I watch religiously on Sunday but I still can't sit down and watch a single game it's too boring for me.

VQ35

Feb 18, 2017
British Columbia, CA
I would like to see the NHL network have some serious revamping and return to Canada as well, in HD please.

I watched often during the seasons it was available in Canada even if it was only SD and very east coast biased, as a NYR fan that didn't bother me all that much most the times.

Sportsnet got a lot better this season compared to the first year of the Rogers broadcasting contract. TSN still has good trade deadline, draft, FA, and highlight coverage. It's enough to keep me sufficed but I would love to see a well put together NHL Network return, I would gladly purchase and pay for it first day it's available.

With hockey and the NHL growing as an international sport, it's time to do it right.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Fantasy Football takes place mainly on Sunday afternoon where fantasy hockey takes place over a few days. It works for football because of the nature of the sport being one game per week no other sport has that.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Fantasy Football takes place mainly on Sunday afternoon where fantasy hockey takes place over a few days. It works for football because of the nature of the sport being one game per week no other sport has that.

Fantasy hockey has two big days Saturday and Tuesday or is it Wednesday one of the two.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

This. The NFL Redzone is actually fairly dull from 4:30-7:00 because there's only a few games going on.

There's nothing better than Redzone from 1 pm to 4:30 pm because there's like a dozen games happening at once for them to switch to.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Actually, I wouldn't mind the "Konferenz" type of match broadcast the Bundesliga (soccer) has.

Anytime a goal is scored, a penalty is awarded (penalty shot equivalent in hockey) or a red card has been shown (5 and game misconduct I guess?) the broadcast switches over to the actual game where this is happening or has just happened. This is something I'd definitely watch if my team isn't playing.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Couldn't work. RedZone is on for, what, 18 Sundays in the regular season? It's literally on once a week and that's simply because basically every game in the league is on that day. Plus, football unique in that once a team gets within that 20 yards, a score of some sort is going to happen. No guarantee like that in any other sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad