NHL ready to step in and take over Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Hockeyfan02 said:
Does the NHL think Disney is trying the sell the team to a buyer at a discount?

Edit: Might as well answer my own question with my own opinion: I dont think Disney is the type of buisness to sell below market value. I think they would sell to the highest bidder possible.

Disney has been trying to sell the Ducks for *years*.

Yeah, at some point, it makes sense to just dump the albatross for whatever you can get, even if it's below your asking price.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
just the first of many teams to fall i'm sure.

good job mr. bettman !!!!

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

continue your lockout, it just makes it easier for a team to move to winnipeg.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Benji Frank said:
I'm I reading correctly that the Sabres & Sens were sold for around $100 million each including the arenas?? Wpg just built an arena that's not NHL ready for around $140 million!!! The Ducks owners must be trying to give that franchise away for the NHL to be stepping in!!!! :D :D

But no, the economic situation of the NHL isn't terrible, the owners are all lying... :dunno:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Smail said:
But no, the economic situation of the NHL isn't terrible, the owners are all lying... :dunno:

the economic situation of the nhl is terrible AND the owners are all liars !

:yo:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
hawker14 said:
the economic situation of the nhl is terrible AND the owners are all liars !

:yo:

it shows an NHL in decline .. and even Bettman's new CBA is not enough to entice Disney to keep the team ..

The NHL is willing to pay more then market value in an effort by Bettman to CYA again, and protects the other teams value .. When really the writing is on the wall they just do not want to admit it ..

Hey if they move it I am sure Winnipeg would love a team again ,,

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
GabbyDugan said:
Looks like the newspapers are spreading false or outdated news. According to the Arizona Republic by way of the Los Angeles Times, "The Arrowhead Pond, the Ducks' home arena, is owned by the city of Anaheim and run by a management company."

When Ottawa owner Brydens partner Covanta went bankrupt, it had the Sens Corel Center as well as the Pond on its books. Melnyk got a sweet deal from Covanta shareholders who were selling in bankruptcy. The city of Anaheim bought the Pond from them? And sold Samueli operating rights?

GabbyDugan said:
"{Meanwhile, Henry Samueli, whose company operates the Pond, ..

"We have continuing discussions with Disney," said Michael Schulman, spokesman for H and S Ventures. Samueli's interest spawns, in part, from a team lease that has made it difficult for the Pond to turn a profit. Money that would otherwise go to the arena has been given to the Ducks. Furthermore, the Ducks are the arena's main tenant and Samueli could not risk the team being sold and then relocated.

There's a deal to be made here, but it will require "enhancements". As Benji pointed out, Ottaw and Buffalo tied in the arenas to the sales of the team...so did Atlanta.

Somehow there will have to be a deal brokered here that includes Arrowhead, which Samueli already manages.

Its funny hearing the bolded part stated that way. But that was the case in Ottawa too, as much of the revenue streams went to Covanta for building the arena. Once those revenue streams went to Melnyk, the teams was in great shape. But I guess when the city is eating some of the revenue streams, the team isnt as attractive, however if Samueli got the the city to sell him their part, the team would be worth more?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Icey said:
Do any of you remember who Howard Baldwin is? He is the guy who practically bankrupted the Penguins years ago. He now is part owner of Hockey Holdings and Management group. He also is part owner of the new AHL team, the Iowa Stars, who will be the Dallas Stars new AHL affiliate beginning in 2005-06. Part of the deal is that the Dallas Stars will be responsible for all hockey operation decisions, including the hiring of a head coach, assistant coach, equipment manager and medical trainer. Guess the Stars don' want Baldwins hands in the operations too much.

He seems to have his hands in a lot these days, and I don't think that is necessarily a good thing. They should be slightly worried for fear of a repeat of Pittsbugh.

I do . . .

Cook: Baldwin's zeal led Penguins, NHL to ruin
Monday, February 17, 2003

The voice on the telephone was quiet, sad. "You're going to carve me up again, aren't you?" Howard Baldwin asked from Los Angeles.

Well, yeah.

Is anyone more responsible for the dire financial straits of not just the Penguins, but the entire NHL?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/columnists/20030217cook0217p1.asp

Wetcoaster

djhn579 said:
Or they sell the team to the guy that was all over the boards a few weeks ago that has an NHL ready arena in kansas City (I think...)
Not likely.

The Web Footed Ones are locked into an onerous long term lease with the Arrowhead Pond. Termination requires a minimum of two years notice and very significant financial penalties. That is the main reason the team is not attractive to a purchaser. Also Disney has stated on several ocassions that one of the conditions for sale would be to keep the team in Anaheim.

Wetcoaster

IcemanTBI said:
Howard Baldwin was on Prime Time Sports on the FAN 590 last week, said he was interested in buying the team ............ only if cost certainty was acheived however.
He apparently tried a low-ball offer of $50 million with no money down and complete 100% financing. He obviously has learned nothing from his previous NHL debacles about mortgaging the financial future of ateam.

A truly terrifying thought given his track record in Pittsburgh, Hartford and Minnesota - all the teams crashed and burned.

Even the NHL would not be that stupid to re-admit this bozo as an owner, would they? Well would they??????????????????

GabbyDugan

Jun 8, 2004
thinkwild said:
When Ottawa owner Brydens partner Covanta went bankrupt, it had the Sens Corel Center as well as the Pond on its books. Melnyk got a sweet deal from Covanta shareholders who were selling in bankruptcy. The city of Anaheim bought the Pond from them? And sold Samueli operating rights?

Its funny hearing the bolded part stated that way. But that was the case in Ottawa too, as much of the revenue streams went to Covanta for building the arena. Once those revenue streams went to Melnyk, the teams was in great shape. But I guess when the city is eating some of the revenue streams, the team isnt as attractive, however if Samueli got the the city to sell him their part, the team would be worth more?

Yeah, I remember following that long and winding saga back on the old Hockey Boards/Fanhome Business of Hockey sections. Ogden Corporation got itself into very deep water by agreeing to dozens of long-term concession and arena/stadium management contracts in all those new facilities that had been built in the 1990's. They almost managed to emerge as an energy company, but Ogden/Covanta just couldn't get rid of the most burdensome deals, and those specifically were the Corel Center and Arrowhead deals. Covanta finally got thrown into bankruptcy with the Corel Centre and Arrowhead contracts being the straws that broke the camel's back.

It looks like Samueli is the NHL's owner of choice, and it would make sense if the City of Anaheim can be coaxed into giving Samueli all the keys to the Arrowhead Pond. He has the deep pockets, obviously he already has the expertise at his fingertips to manage an NHL arena already under his control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad