NHL-ready prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyersFan10*

John Flyers Fan said:
For the Flyers:

Niittymanki is guaranteed a spot.

Jeff Carter is next to a lock.

Mike Richards will also likely be a Flyer next year, and if not him possibly R.J. Umberger.

As of today the Flyers expect Primeau, Handzus, Carter and Richards to be their four centers next year, with Roenick moving to the wing.

I think all four of them will be on the roster. I know it's rookie heavy, but with Recchi gone, Leclair and Amonte more than like being bought out, and Kapannen possibly retiring, there's more than enough room on this Flyers team for those four guys. Personally, I would love to see an all rookie line of Umberger, Carter and Richards, but I doubt Hitch would do something that brave.

However, I could see a line up of something like this:

Gagne - Carter - Roenick
Radivojevic - Zeus - Umberger
Richards - Primeau - Knuble
Somik - Sharp - Eager/Stevenson.

And that means we can leave that idiot Brash off the ice or you can always swap Somik with Brash, but Hitch really likes Somik. Now, if he only had the hands to match the rest of his play, Somik would be a dynamite two way forward.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
FlyersFan10 said:
I think all four of them will be on the roster. I know it's rookie heavy, but with Recchi gone, Leclair and Amonte more than like being bought out, and Kapannen possibly retiring, there's more than enough room on this Flyers team for those four guys. Personally, I would love to see an all rookie line of Umberger, Carter and Richards, but I doubt Hitch would do something that brave.

However, I could see a line up of something like this:

Gagne - Carter - Roenick
Radivojevic - Zeus - Umberger
Richards - Primeau - Knuble
Somik - Sharp - Eager/Stevenson.

And that means we can leave that idiot Brash off the ice or you can always swap Somik with Brash, but Hitch really likes Somik. Now, if he only had the hands to match the rest of his play, Somik would be a dynamite two way forward.

A rookie 1st line center?? He's good but I'd start him a bit lower.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Levitate said:
pretty decent there if we can't include a guy like tjutin...i'll throw out a few more "possibles"

Dominic Moore - tailed off at the end of the season in the AHL and isn't having a great playoffs, but he's been good for most of the season and could get a look

Alexander Giroux - Wolfpack's leading scorer, has done a good job stepping up his consistancy and attracting the attention of the Rangers brass...could definatly get a look if he has a nice camp

Bryce Lampman - Another solid year with the Pack...won't be anything spectacular but is solid and probably the Pack's most consistant defender throughout the year. Almost made the Rangers out of camp in 2003 but got injured in the preseason. another strong camp could have him eyeing a spot on the roster

Honestly, here are the guys that seriously have a chance at making the team off the bat. I'll explain some that might seem unlikely.

Fedor Tjutin, D - Pretty much a lock

Henrik Lundqvist, G - Very possible
Jozef Balej, RW - Very possible (he might have to earn a spot after his poor year)
Jarkko Immonen, C - Very possible
Hugh Jessiman, RW - Remotely possible. I only put him because we did hear some stuff about him coming straight to NY (even though I hope not). I'm not going to look for the article, but I remember reading it.
Thomas Pock, D - Possible. My guess is he starts in the AHL however.
Garth Murray, C - Very possible. I think he will make the team if he comes to camp 100%
Bryce Lampman, D - Very possible. As you said, almost made the team in 2003, had a strong year.
Alexandre Giroux, LW - Very possible, impressive this year/held his own in the NHL.
Petr Prucha, LW - Very possible. If they get Prucha signed, I think hes going to skip Hartford, otherwise he won't come. Not really a bad thing since hes probably ready. Everytime he gets icetime he lights it up a ton. Sadly enough, he becomes our top LW. Reuniting him with Jagr could be terrific for him.
Dominic Moore, C - Possible, solid year, already 25.
Chad Wiseman, LW - Possible. Another LW and since we need him, and hes a little physical with a scoring touch, he could get a look.

Obviously not all these guys will make it, but a bunch will.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Marshall said:
My guesses for Washington:

Alexander Ovechkin, LW
Jakub Cutta, D
Maxime Ouellet, G

A few of these guys have seen time, but they've been on HF lists recently-

Ovechkin- LW
Semin- LW
Ouellet- G
Gordon- RW
Cutta- D
Eminger- D
Morrisonn- D
Aulin- C

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
unless he has a great camp, i think pöck will stay in hartford for at least part of the year...this past year was rough for him, injuries and never got on track and has struggled somewhat. I think with no injuries and a normal training camp next year he'll be fine in the AHL, but I feel like the rangers would like him to get back on track that way before jumping to the NHL again

I have my doubts about Prucha jumping straight to the NHL...just cuz I think he's probably the kind of player that would really benefit from some time in the AHL. I don't know how much time but i figure if he and the rangers work out a deal, it will be with the idea that he'll jump to the NHL soon. I have no idea how well he'll do though

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Ill use NYRangers list:

1-5 (1 Being least chance he'll make the NHL club, 5 being a lock)

Fedor Tjutin, D - (5)
Henrik Lundqvist - If signed and comes over... (4.5)
Jozef Balej (5)
Jarkko Immonen - If signs and comes over (5)
Hugh Jessiman - If signs (2.5)..maybe limited time with the Rangers, mostly AHL
Thomas Pock (2) - Limited time as well
Garth Murray (4) Checking line
Bryce Lampman (4)
Alexandre Giroux (4) after the AHL season he had...pretty stupid not to see how he does in the NHL.
Petr Prucha - If signs (3.8), Most likely start in AHL...if he impresses he'll get moved to the Rangers
Dominic Moore (5) - Im pretty sure hes a lock to be with the Rangers.
Chad Wiseman (3.5) - Get bumped back and forth..if he preforms well enough he'll stay with the Rangers.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
mooseOAK said:
Steen
Colaiacovo
Wellwood
concur entirely, but with a few ? - I love Steen as a prospect, but if he is to remain at wing can (as he may need to or requested to) can he show the same defensive-responsibility that he has to date as a C as a W in the NHL? It's not a major concern for me but it is one..other than that he has all the skills - all world skating and passing and plays tough for a "Euro" (term used loosely -props Winnipeg hockey :yo: )

Coliacovo is becoming everything hoped for, despite the limp-effort attempts by many to suggest he is "injury prone" after getting hit into an open door and taking a slapshot in the ear... still shows every bit of a 1-3 NHL defenceman in the making, all the offensive prowess he showed at Erie along with a VASTLY improved defensive and physical game(Imo leading to the aforementioned injuries - he is throwing himself in front of everthing this year). He is one of the best skating defensive prospects out there (Daley is the best IMO)

Wellwood I concur EXCLUSIVELY (as we have talked about on the Leafs board at length) if he can be managed into the 2nd line C spot.. no exp. necessary for those in the know. He wouldn't be sufficiently effective with 3rd line wingers. Other-worldy stick-handling and scoring touch, but too small to be a #1 C obviously. And for those of you who still harp on he's too slow, check the stats from the AHL skills comp. - 3/10 of a second is not significant in the play of the NHL game, and scouting reports state his defensive responsibility has improved considerably since the outset of the season.

Jeremy Williams - not next year but maybe shortly thereafter, real skill, shot and a prairie boy...'nuff said. :)

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Devils:

Zach Parise - Lock

Ari Ahonen - Lock (Out of options and needs to see what he can do in the pros as Marty's back-up.

Aleksander Suglobov - Will see some playing time with the big club.

mooseOAK*

Raven25 said:
concur entirely, but with a few ? - I love Steen as a prospect, but if he is to remain at wing can (as he may need to or requested to) can he show the same defensive-responsibility that he has to date as a C as a W in the NHL? It's not a major concern for me but it is one..other than that he has all the skills - all world skating and passing and plays tough for a "Euro" (term used loosely -props Winnipeg hockey :yo: )

Coliacovo is becoming everything hoped for, despite the limp-effort attempts by many to suggest he is "injury prone" after getting hit into an open door and taking a slapshot in the ear... still shows every bit of a 1-3 NHL defenceman in the making, all the offensive prowess he showed at Erie along with a VASTLY improved defensive and physical game(Imo leading to the aforementioned injuries - he is throwing himself in front of everthing this year). He is one of the best skating defensive prospects out there (Daley is the best IMO)

Wellwood I concur EXCLUSIVELY (as we have talked about on the Leafs board at length) if he can be managed into the 2nd line C spot.. no exp. necessary for those in the know. He wouldn't be sufficiently effective with 3rd line wingers. Other-worldy stick-handling and scoring touch, but too small to be a #1 C obviously. And for those of you who still harp on he's too slow, check the stats from the AHL skills comp. - 3/10 of a second is not significant in the play of the NHL game, and scouting reports state his defensive responsibility has improved considerably since the outset of the season.

Jeremy Williams - not next year but maybe shortly thereafter, real skill, shot and a prairie boy...'nuff said. :)
I think that Steen's defensive responsibility should translate to the NHL as long as he is eased into it. He was playing against experienced players in the SEL.

Williams had a good season but the next step is to be a key contributor to the Marlie's next season and he has that ability.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Levitate said:
I have my doubts about Prucha jumping straight to the NHL...just cuz I think he's probably the kind of player that would really benefit from some time in the AHL. I don't know how much time but i figure if he and the rangers work out a deal, it will be with the idea that he'll jump to the NHL soon. I have no idea how well he'll do though

I'm just not sure if he would be willing to go to the AHL. He's got something nice lined up over there. He is already 22.

turnbuckle*

Splatman Phanutier said:
Question for everyone that posted 3 forward prospects... do you really expect any NHL team to ice 3 of the 6 3rd-4th liners with rookies?

I'm guessing one, and at best two, make the team. And they will probably be up and down with the 3rd.

Do you really expect NHL teams to only dress rookie forwards on the third and fourth lines?

I know in the case of the Habs, they will not be calling up Kostitsyn or Perezhogin until they're ready for first or second-line action. I would suggest that the same can be said for Carter, Getzlaf, Ovechkin and a host of other prospects. They will most likely be seeing time on the top two lines or playing in the minors until they're ready for such a role.

Did Nash, Heatley, Spezza, Kovalchuk, Ryder, Ruutu, Hunter, Hemsky, Datsyuk, Legwand, to cite some recent examples, only play on the third and fourth lines in their rookie seasons? Nope.

I would not be surprised to see several NHL teams next season work at least three rookie forwards into the lineup before season's end, and a significant number of them will be seeing time on their team's top two lines.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Splatman Phanutier said:
Eric Nystrom seems to be NHL ready. Depending on how you see Kobasew, he will definatly make the team - but he already has 1 full NHL season under his belt.

So Phaneuf and Nystrom for Calgary, should either or both be promoted.

using the criteria of <20 GP, I guess the third name for Calgary, if we need to come up with 3, would be Krahn

Phaneuf,Nystrom,Krahn. with only Phaneuf as 'very likely' to make the team

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
NYRangers said:
I'm just not sure if he would be willing to go to the AHL. He's got something nice lined up over there. He is already 22.

I could be wrong but i thought i read somewhere he wouldn't have a problem playing in the AHL at first to get used to the NA game. I could be making that up though :dunno:

I like to think he'd be ok with it as long as he didn't stay down there the whole time...as in if he didn't make the rangers at some point that year or so he'd pack up and head back to the czech republic or something

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
I disagree. I think Nystrom is more seasoned from his 4 years of college hockey for the NHL, than Phaneuf and no higher league league play other than the WHL.

I can say this...I think it'd be best for Phaneuf to get at least a half season, maybe even a year, in Omaha. When Suter first started out in Milwaukee, you could see that he had the tools..and he'd occasionally make a great play, but he was still raw in that it was his first experience playing with men rather than kids his own age. The jump from juniors to the AHL is bigger than most realize, let alone the NHL. The difference an entire year in the AHL has made in Suter is astounding. He came in with a limited role on the third pairing and on the second power play..and by mid-season, the things he had learned had enabled him to move up to the first pairing, and in the playoffs he's displaced Hutchinson, a two-time AHL all star defenseman on the first PP unit, even leading the playoffs in scoring for a time. I think Phaneuf could use that adjustment period as well. Calgary has the depth to let him develop..so why rush him in just because you're excited to see what he can do?

Phanuthier*

nomorekids said:
I can say this...I think it'd be best for Phaneuf to get at least a half season, maybe even a year, in Omaha. When Suter first started out in Milwaukee, you could see that he had the tools..and he'd occasionally make a great play, but he was still raw in that it was his first experience playing with men rather than kids his own age. The jump from juniors to the AHL is bigger than most realize, let alone the NHL. The difference an entire year in the AHL has made in Suter is astounding. He came in with a limited role on the third pairing and on the second power play..and by mid-season, the things he had learned had enabled him to move up to the first pairing, and in the playoffs he's displaced Hutchinson, a two-time AHL all star defenseman on the first PP unit, even leading the playoffs in scoring for a time. I think Phaneuf could use that adjustment period as well. Calgary has the depth to let him develop..so why rush him in just because you're excited to see what he can do?
I totally agree with you nmk, but Sutter has said many times that if the NHL weren't locked out, Phaneuf would be in Calgary. However, that may have been due to the fact that Phaneuf had nothing to gain (generally speaking) in Red Deer, and would have gotten more from the NHL then the WHL, since the AHL wasn't an option. However, given the option to go to the AHL, I definatly think a full season of pro hockey in Omaha would be best for Phaneuf.

Ideally, I'd like both Nystrom, Phaneuf and Krahn to be in Omaha and domainte the minors (in their respective roles, Nystrom being a elite checker) but Nystrom was said to be close to being ready last prospects camp, Phaneuf (as above0 and with Turek possibly leaving the team, Sutter said he'd give Krahn a chance.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Dan Galvin said:
I would probably add Ehrhoff to that mix as well. He has some defensive problems to work on,but I think he has done about all he is going to do at the AHL level.
More than 20 games, but yeah, I agree

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:

I actually agree with you also, or at least I think I do. I'm in no rush to see Phaneuf in the NHL, as I think the Flames blueline is fine, and I'm hard pressed to see him making a huge difference. However, if he does show up good enough to play in the NHL I think you let him do so. I will say that its less commonplace for 18,19 or 20 year old dmen to just step in and play, whereas that was pretty routine in the 80s. Maybe if the NHL is truly changing when it returns (getting younger, and perhaps more wide open) maybe it will make more sense to have him step right in.... :dunno:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
For New Jersey here are the forwards that will battle for a spot on the roster and as I have found out, there are no locks going into camp.

Zach Parise - Should make the team with a decent camp, alot of compitition at center so he will have to prove enough to move Kozlov or Hrdina.

Aleksander Suglobov - Same situation as Brian Gionta and Christian Berglund two years ago, will need a really good camp to lock up a spot on the right wing.

Ari Ahonen - I doubt he has a shot without a great camp, Lou will sign a vetren if he has to.

Ryan Murphy - A sleeper who has a good shot with a good camp, the type of player that will grow on you and will turn heads like Mike Danton did.

Aaron Voros - Not ready yet, needs to bulk up but he may get a taste of the NHL at some point.

Tuomas Pihlman - I also think Pihlman could be a sleeper, a good leader and would be well served on the 4th line. Lots of young compititon for the 4th line position.

Ika Pikkarainen - Same as Pihlman, made an excellent impact in his first camp making everyone notice his work ethic, hussle and physical game.

Ahren Nittel - No real good shot at the team, not near sound enough defensivly and needs to improve his physical game.

Matt DeMarchi - No shot at the team considering David Hale is the #7 at the moment.

2nd line center - Zach Parise
RW scoreing line - Aleksander Suglobov
3rd line - Ryan Murphy
4th line - Aaron Voros, Ahren Nittel, Tuomas Pihlman, Ikka Pikkarainen

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Jason MacIsaac said:
For New Jersey here are the forwards that will battle for a spot on the roster and as I have found out, there are no locks going into camp.

Zach Parise - Should make the team with a decent camp, alot of compitition at center so he will have to prove enough to move Kozlov or Hrdina.

Aleksander Suglobov - Same situation as Brian Gionta and Christian Berglund two years ago, will need a really good camp to lock up a spot on the right wing.

Ari Ahonen - I doubt he has a shot without a great camp, Lou will sign a vetren if he has to.

Ryan Murphy - A sleeper who has a good shot with a good camp, the type of player that will grow on you and will turn heads like Mike Danton did.

Aaron Voros - Not ready yet, needs to bulk up but he may get a taste of the NHL at some point.

Tuomas Pihlman - I also think Pihlman could be a sleeper, a good leader and would be well served on the 4th line. Lots of young compititon for the 4th line position.

Ika Pikkarainen - Same as Pihlman, made an excellent impact in his first camp making everyone notice his work ethic, hussle and physical game.

Ahren Nittel - No real good shot at the team, not near sound enough defensivly and needs to improve his physical game.

Matt DeMarchi - No shot at the team considering David Hale is the #7 at the moment.

2nd line center - Zach Parise
RW scoreing line - Aleksander Suglobov
3rd line - Ryan Murphy
4th line - Aaron Voros, Ahren Nittel, Tuomas Pihlman, Ikka Pikkarainen

Jason, if I'm not mistaken, isn't Ari out of options with Albany. I believe, either he makes it, get's traded or cut? Let me know, because I'm not really sure.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
DARKSIDE said:
Jason, if I'm not mistaken, isn't Ari out of options with Albany. I believe, either he makes it, get's traded or cut? Let me know, because I'm not really sure.
No, he will just have to pass waivers to go back to Albany. Which means he will be cut cause some team will nab him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->