NHL-ready prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Which 3 prospects ( < 20 GP in NHL) from your favourite team do you think have the best shot at a roster spot at the next camp?

For the Sens...

F Chris Kelly
D Andrej Meszaros
F Alexei Kaigorodov

... but I think the 2 latter guys will ultimately end up the the AHL for the year.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
F Antti Miettinen(16 games last year, had a great 1/2 year in the AHL after recovering from injury)
F Yared Hagos(Plays a very NHL-style game, could make it as a 3rd/4th liner)
F Jussi Jokinen(Had a fantastic year in Finland, might have a shot depending on what happens with the CBA)

Miettinen is a lock, while the other 2 will probably start in Iowa(AHL).

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Kris Beech - 2nd or 3rd line playmaking centre
Colby Armstrong - 3rd or 4th line Grinder
Shane Endicott - 4th line shutdown centre

Sad to say, but MAF needs another year of AHL hockey. :propeller

Last edited:

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Maxim Kondratiev
Jarkko Immonen
Henrik Lundqvist

----

plus about 10 other prospects have a shot at making the team.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Zoo said:
Kris Beech - 2nd or 3rd line playmaking centre
Colby Armstrong - 3rd or 4th line Grinder
Shane Endicott - 4th line shutdown centre

Sad to say, but MAF needs another year of AHL hockey. :propeller

I'd put Murley on that list, but who knows if he'll make the roster out of camp. Whitney has a good chance of making the team. Bissonette may even have a chance, considering how close he was to making the team last year.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
For the Red Wings the only sure one is:

-Niklas Kronwall : Easily one of the most NHL-ready prospects out there. He should be able to step in and make an impact right away.

and the wildcard is:

-Igor Grigorenko: If he's recovered from his injuries, he will be able to jump in very soon. If not he could take longer still.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Epsilon said:
For the Red Wings the only sure one is:

-Niklas Kronwall : Easily one of the most NHL-ready prospects out there. He should be able to step in and make an impact right away.

and the wildcard is:

-Igor Grigorenko: If he's recovered from his injuries, he will be able to jump in very soon. If not he could take longer still.
Hudler?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
From the Oilers
Rw-Brad Winchester
Lw-Jani Rita "1-way deal"
C-Marc Antoine Pouliot/Kyle Brodziak "if the Oilers haven't found a top 2 line center at that point"

I'd personally like to see Schremp, as his shot and stickhandling skills could really help the Oilers anemic PP, although his skating IMO could hinder him at ES.

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others
For the Blues

LW - Peter Sejna - Should settle into 3rd line role
C - Jay McClement - Will probably start as 4th line center and gradually take over 3rd line.
G - Jason Bacashuia - Will get a chance to earn starting job, will probably back up at least.

Phanuthier*

Chris said:
Calgary has only Phaneuf. No one else even comes close.
Eric Nystrom seems to be NHL ready. Depending on how you see Kobasew, he will definatly make the team - but he already has 1 full NHL season under his belt.

So Phaneuf and Nystrom for Calgary, should either or both be promoted.

Phanuthier*

Question for everyone that posted 3 forward prospects... do you really expect any NHL team to ice 3 of the 6 3rd-4th liners with rookies?

I'm guessing one, and at best two, make the team. And they will probably be up and down with the 3rd.

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
WVpens said:
I'd put Murley on that list, but who knows if he'll make the roster out of camp. Whitney has a good chance of making the team. Bissonette may even have a chance, considering how close he was to making the team last year.

Good point... I forgot about Whitney, he should have the best chance of all rookie defencemen in our organization of making the pens. IMO

And yes Bissonette did impress last camp. I'd like to see him take the same route as Orpik and Whitney though... spend a season or two in AHL. Same thing could be said about Welch too. But hey if they play there way into the team outta camp... awesome.

I see Murley having spot duty here and there, when the nhl comes back. I feel there are too many players ahead of right now.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
Chicago
-- RD Anton Babchuk
-- LW Rene Bourque
-- RW Pavel Vorobiev

Atlanta
-- G Kari Lehtonen
-- C Derek MacKenzie
-- LW Karl Stewart

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Splatman Phanutier said:
Question for everyone that posted 3 forward prospects... do you really expect any NHL team to ice 3 of the 6 3rd-4th liners with rookies?

Ordinarily, it's possible but very unlikly.

In a NHL that has been through a 1 year (so far) lockout, it's still unlikely but less so.

Expect the next season to see an increase of (at the VERY least) 100% more retirement than an average year. It could possibly be much more than that, with old veterans simply too out of shape to bother,several Euros comfortably installed back home and a drastic restructuring of salaries and payrolls in the NHL.

You're going to see a LOT more new faces than usual when the NHL starts back. Now, that doesn't mean they will all be young NHL prospects. There could also be old veterans who stuck somewhere waiting for a scecond chane in the NHL, or Euro overagers, or AHLers who never a chance before. But many will be young players, and you could indeed see several rookie forwards. Heck, perhaps even several all-young energetic lines, like the Gelinas one back with the Oilers many years ago.

Expect to see a VERY different NHL, especially if they don't agree in the next few months. If they agree late, I expect more players to have signed without out-clauses this year. It could be a very weird year with some rosters barely recognizable, lots of player mouvement.

Phanuthier*

Agreed there will be alot of retiree's and Euro's staying at home, but there is no way IMO any team would afford to ice a junior / minor league 3rd and/or 4th line. No way. Rather then ice prospects, they'll probably go fishing for the Jamie Wrights, Jeff Shantz's, Bill Lindsey's and Steve Begin's of the minor's and Europe, journeyman guys who have played in the league before and are seasoned vets, to line up their checking lines.

Putting rookies who have (little to) no experiance is suicide for any NHL franchise. They'd be outskated, out muscled, and outhit to produce anything overly effective. There rookie mistakes will cost the a goal to two goals a game, which is usually the difference maker for at least a tenth of the games. Its better to ice introduce one or two (and even that is slightly risk) and give them spot duty then fill the other spot(s) with journeyman forwards.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Bruins have a bunch of guys on the bubble...

Probley:

Hilbert
Boyes
Jurcina

...though they are not as high-end as Stuart or Hannu... they are the most likely to be playing for th Bruins next year (Hannu could get another full season of games in the AHL opposed to backup duty in the NHL...)

BTW - Getzlaf is one of the most "ready" forward prospects I can think of in the world... he has such a strong all-around game and is smart and responsible on D.... miles ahead of where most guys his age are at this stage.

I see that Malkin is up to 1.91 ... I could be wrong -but that has to be translated to about 215pds+, no?

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
The original idea of my thread was the even if only one of these guys makes it on the team (or none), who are the guys who have the best shot? I think we all agree that no team would really want to fill the lines up with rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->