WJC: NHL-ready players on Canada

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
The only guy who can honestly say he might be NHL-ready is Gudbranson, because he didn't get the opportunity due to contract dispute. Everyone else proved they weren't NHL ready, because if they were, they wouldn't be on this team.

Schenn, Ellis & Gudbranson seem to be the closest though.... with the big question being whether or not Ellis' lack of size will hinder him significantly at the NHL level.

ellis was good enough to make this team in camp. he has the unfortunate privilidge of being sent back to junior becasue of his age, and the guys that are near him on the depth chart-blum and josi are already in milwaukee ready too.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
Everyone else proved they weren't NHL ready, because if they were, they wouldn't be on this team.

Just because a guy is not ready to play for a team that drafted him does not mean he wouldn't be playing for another team that may not be as deep or has a different philosophy regarding development. Schenn was a really close call for the Kings before getting sent down, but if this was two or three years ago, he'd be playing for the Kings now without a question.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Just because a guy is not ready to play for a team that drafted him does not mean he wouldn't be playing for another team that may not be as deep or has a different philosophy regarding development. Schenn was a really close call for the Kings before getting sent down, but if this was two or three years ago, he'd be playing for the Kings now without a question.

Only Pejorative Slured NHL teams (see Toronto rushing Kadri) make their rookie decisons based on team need. They make decisions based on whether or not the player is ready to contribute at the NHL level and has anything left to learn at the junior level.

Pyke*

Only Pejorative Slured NHL teams (see Toronto rushing Kadri) make their rookie decisons based on team need. They make decisions based on whether or not the player is ready to contribute at the NHL level and has anything left to learn at the junior level.

This, partly.

There's a lot of factors I think.

-Could the player develop a more rounded game by playing in juniors?
-Is the player better getting 25 minutes a game in junior v. 10 in the NHL?
-Can the player be sent to the AHL or is he only CHL/NHL?
-Is the player recovering from a major injury?
-Does the player have the likelihood of demonstrating/developing leadership skills?
-Is the player projected to be a top line player or grinder?

There's all sorts of considerations that influence the decision. Sometimes, even if the player could make the NHL roster, you're better to send them down if you know that NHL role will be as a 4th line scorer. You need to think about what's best for both the player and team long-term, which can be tough when the team needs help now.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This, partly.

There's a lot of factors I think.

-Could the player develop a more rounded game by playing in juniors?
-Is the player better getting 25 minutes a game in junior v. 10 in the NHL?
-Can the player be sent to the AHL or is he only CHL/NHL?
-Is the player recovering from a major injury?
-Does the player have the likelihood of demonstrating/developing leadership skills?
-Is the player projected to be a top line player or grinder?

There's all sorts of considerations that influence the decision. Sometimes, even if the player could make the NHL roster, you're better to send them down if you know that NHL role will be as a 4th line scorer. You need to think about what's best for both the player and team long-term, which can be tough when the team needs help now.

Of course it does go into that kind of detail to determine just how much a player will benefit playing outside of the NHL, but the fact is that if guy has very little left to learn in junior (one of the 2 main criteria for being NHL ready, the other being NHL level contribution), they're not going to keep him back to play 25-30 year old players.

The Kings sent Schenn back (like all drafted players in this tournament) because they felt that he needed to get better before becoming an NHL player and that junior hockey would be the best place to do it, otherwise they wouldn't waste a prime developmental year in a league where the player had very little to learn.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Of course it does go into that kind of detail to determine just how much a player will benefit playing outside of the NHL, but the fact is that if guy has very little left to learn in junior (one of the 2 main criteria for being NHL ready, the other being NHL level contribution), they're not going to keep him back to play 25-30 year old players.

The Kings sent Schenn back (like all drafted players in this tournament) because they felt that he needed to get better before becoming an NHL player and that junior hockey would be the best place to do it, otherwise they wouldn't waste a prime developmental year in a league where the player had very little to learn.

Gudbranson made Florida but could not be signed, so your general theory gets thrown out the window right there. Cowen earned a spot in Ottawa but we have 7 one way contracts, Murray even second guessed himself early in the season saying he was a guy we needed right now.

Chances are there are some NHL ready players on this team, several may be in the NHL next year and chances are some could right now. This is just a discussion of who those players may be....to say just because they are on this team means they are not NHL ready is proven wrong.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Just because your in the NHL doesnt mean your NHL ready. Seguin arguably isnt, neither is Hamonic, Kadri (sent down).

Ill put it this way, if Brayden Schenn was Leaf property, he would probably be in the NHL right now.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
Ellis is definitely not NHL ready. He's great offensively but he's been disappointing defensively.

He's an NHL ready forward, maybe. But not a defenseman. And I don't see his defence becoming NHL ready in time for next season.

Schenn is close to being NHL ready but, I think at this point it's more a matter of AHL ready. He needs to work on a few things before he can be effective at the NHL level. Hand eye coordination on bouncing pucks being one of them. And he needs to figure out how to get his shot through people.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
As a Kings fan, Schenn was not NHL ready. He would have stuck on a team lacking depth just because of his flashes of potential, but he still needs to piece it together and add some size to his frame. He was outplayed by guys like Lewis and Clifford, who are much more mature physically and are more aware of what their roles are in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, every Kings fan is excited for Schenn to arrive and has high hopes for him, but he is not quite there yet. Just my two cents. Seeing him play like he is in the World Juniors is extremely promising, it'll just make him harder not to keep on the big squad next year.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Gudbranson made Florida but could not be signed, so your general theory gets thrown out the window right there. Cowen earned a spot in Ottawa but we have 7 one way contracts, Murray even second guessed himself early in the season saying he was a guy we needed right now.

Chances are there are some NHL ready players on this team, several may be in the NHL next year and chances are some could right now. This is just a discussion of who those players may be....to say just because they are on this team means they are not NHL ready is proven wrong.

That's why I said Gudbranson was the notable exception in my first post in this thread. If Cowen was NHL ready, the Sens would've made room for him.

Vyruz Reaper

Oct 4, 2005
Sunny SoCal
he is like a coburn or a Kuba ok defensively and has shown signs of offense he doesnt really throw his weight around but he is a good skater and has offensive upside. he is pretty much good at everything but great at nothing. His skating is also good for a big man and can make good passes

thanks bro, so if he looks good overall, no one thinks he is NHL ready considering he was close to making the NHL club during the preseason?

Tavaresmagicalplay*

this year nick foligno seems to have regressed. Combined with how the two played in sudbury, i'd call marcus a nick clone, a few rounds later though.
He's bigger though and a lot more physical. Though that may just be him filling a role for Team Canada.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
thanks bro, so if he looks good overall, no one thinks he is NHL ready considering he was close to making the NHL club during the preseason?

he could make it as a bottom pairing right now but i think time in the ahl will do him great he has good hockey sense i have watched him calm the play down with some nifty moves tonight he just needs better positioning and to use his size more

Vyruz Reaper

Oct 4, 2005
Sunny SoCal
he could make it as a bottom pairing right now but i think time in the ahl will do him great he has good hockey sense i have watched him calm the play down with some nifty moves tonight he just needs better positioning and to use his size more

yeah, he got caught starring the puck down and not taking the body on a few plays and needs to be stronger on the puck and getting it out of the zone.

Also, I didnt see him in the overtime which should speak to how much his coach trusts him

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Just because your in the NHL doesnt mean your NHL ready. Seguin arguably isnt, neither is Hamonic, Kadri (sent down).

Ill put it this way, if Brayden Schenn was Leaf property, he would probably be in the NHL right now.

Hamonic? Are you kidding me? He's been unreal in the NHL this year, playing like a veteran - you obviously have not watched him at all.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Schenn, obviously. and we already knew Gudbranson was NHL-ready, they just couldnt sign him in time. no one else except maybe Zach Kassian - if Buffalo ever signs him.

RoseTintedVisor

Frans Nielsen?!?!?
Feb 25, 2009
bklyn
Guys, is it reasonable to assume that midway through next season, Calvin DeHaan will be NHL Ready?

And what's a realistic timetable on Casey Cizikias? As well as a projection for his talent?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->