WJC: NHL-ready players on Canada

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Agreed. Nothing against him, but I really haven't seen an NHL defenseman.

Looks to me like he'll benefit a ton from filling out, he's got a nice easy stride for what will be a very big guy.

People need to be careful about labelling players not NHL ready and NHL ready based on the way they play at this tournament. The NHL game is much more systematic and clean....guys like Gudbranson and Cowen really benefit from that sort of thing.

Dave33

Jul 8, 2005
Minor clarification but the Kings didn't have a problem with Schenn on the 4th line, let alone the 3rd. They wanted him to work on his game, primarily coverage w/out the puck and felt it was better for him to do that full time in Juniors (thanks to the dumb AHL rule) rather than sporadically with the big club. Were the team as bad as previous years, he would have a spot last year but now they can afford to bring him along slowly.

Leaf Predator

Mar 1, 2007
Kingston
Looks to me like he'll benefit a ton from filling out, he's got a nice easy stride for what will be a very big guy.

People need to be careful about labelling players not NHL ready and NHL ready based on the way they play at this tournament. The NHL game is much more systematic and clean....guys like Gudbranson and Cowen really benefit from that sort of thing.

Basically what I've been saying for Gudbranson. I think he's much like Luke Schenn with a little more creativity and flow to his game. Take that and put it in a good NHL system and he will be a great defensive player soon.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Basically what I've been saying for Gudbranson. I think he's much like Luke Schenn with a little more creativity and flow to his game. Take that and put it in a good NHL system and he will be a great defensive player soon.

Luke's a lot more farther along physically but the comparison is fair. Guddy's probably got a bit more franchise type potential then Schenn just because of the shot and fluidity you alluded to. And by franchise I mean the potential to play in all situations on a contender caliber team.

Leaf Predator

Mar 1, 2007
Kingston
Luke's a lot more farther along physically but the comparison is fair. Guddy's probably got a bit more franchise type potential then Schenn just because of the shot and fluidity you alluded to. And by franchise I mean the potential to play in all situations on a contender caliber team.

I think the simplest way to put it is that Gudbranson has a little more natural skill than Schenn. But Luke is working hard and has gotten a lot better offensively this year. He's oozing confidence and at this point, Id stick with Luke over Erik :P.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I think the simplest way to put it is that Gudbranson has a little more natural skill than Schenn. But Luke is working hard and has gotten a lot better offensively this year. He's oozing confidence and at this point, Id stick with Luke over Erik :P.

:laugh: Oh I know you would. He's much surer thing and was a surer thing at the same point as Gudbranson is at right now. If there's one Leaf I really like it's Schenn...give the kid a letter already.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
The only guy who can honestly say he might be NHL-ready is Gudbranson, because he didn't get the opportunity due to contract dispute. Everyone else proved they weren't NHL ready, because if they were, they wouldn't be on this team.

Schenn, Ellis & Gudbranson seem to be the closest though.... with the big question being whether or not Ellis' lack of size will hinder him significantly at the NHL level.

LOL, you're still sticking to that theory about Schenn eh? His not being on the Kings is in no way indicative of him not being NHL ready. The Kings just have no spot for him. Don't respond, we've all heard your campaign. You've been proven wrong with quotes by his GM and by his success everywhere he has gone and refuse to budge.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
LOL, you're still sticking to that theory about Schenn eh? His not being on the Kings is in no way indicative of him not being NHL ready. The Kings just have no spot for him. Don't respond, we've all heard your campaign. You've been proven wrong with quotes by his GM and by his success everywhere he has gone and refuse to budge.

LOL, you're still sticking to that theory about NHL teams keeping their top NHL ready prospects out of the league for no good reason...hence why Tyler Seguin isn't in Buffalo.

Last edited:

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
LOL, you're still sticking to that theory about NHL teams keeping their top NHL ready prospects out of the league for no good reason...hence why Tyler Seguin isn't in Buffalo.

I'm not going to reinvent the thread where you were proven wrong by everyone a million times. It's sad when even your own fan base has disowned you. Funny thing is I stuck up for you for a long time until I actualy stopped and read your posts. You believe you are smarter than every scout, manager, people who are paid to cover hockey and every fan. Every post you make you try to post the polar opposite of popular opinion for what I can only assume is to get a rise out of people.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Cowen, Gudbranson and Schenn all look like they can play at the NHL and not look out of place.

No one else imo is physically there

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

LOLOL you sticking to the theory that the Kings don't have more then 12 NHL ready forwards.

Even funnier is that they did it with Bernier last year as well......

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
How has Despres looked? I havent had a chance to watch any games yet... does he have any offensive potential?

he is like a coburn or a Kuba ok defensively and has shown signs of offense he doesnt really throw his weight around but he is a good skater and has offensive upside. he is pretty much good at everything but great at nothing. His skating is also good for a big man and can make good passes

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'm not going to reinvent the thread where you were proven wrong by everyone a million times. It's sad when even your own fan base has disowned you. Funny thing is I stuck up for you for a long time until I actualy stopped and read your posts. You believe you are smarter than every scout, manager, people who are paid to cover hockey and every fan. Every post you make you try to post the polar opposite of popular opinion for what I can only assume is to get a rise out of people.

I don't need to tell you that quotes from a GM/Management of a player are basically crap assessments because they are loaded for what they want the player to hear. It's sad that your fanbase lives in a lie. I am smarter than 90% of the posters on this board.

LOLOL you sticking to the theory that the Kings don't have more then 12 NHL ready forwards.

Even funnier is that they did it with Bernier last year as well......

If Schenn was infact NHL ready, they would've made room for him. Brad Richardson, Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis & Kevin Westgarth are generally not the type of players you put in the lineup to hold back a 5th overall pick. Boston has way more offensive depth than Los Angeles, and Tyler Seguin has played all but 2 games for them, while being a crucial year younger.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I don't need to tell you that quotes from a GM/Management of a player are basically crap assessments because they are loaded for what they want the player to hear. It's sad that your fanbase lives in a lie. I am smarter than 90% of the posters on this board.

If Schenn was infact NHL ready, they would've made room for him. Brad Richardson, Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis & Kevin Westgarth are generally not the type of players you put in the lineup to hold back a 5th overall pick. Boston has way more offensive depth than Los Angeles, and Tyler Seguin has played all but 2 games for them, while being a crucial year younger.

This is the last thing I'm going to say. They don't want to waste development on Schenn playing 5 minutes a game on the fourth line. If you watched him in camp and watched him play you'd know he was ready. You don't have to take his coach and GM's words on the matter serious if you watched him.

DickArmy*

Imagine if Kyle Clifford was on the team. talk about man among boys

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This is the last thing I'm going to say. They don't want to waste development on Schenn playing 5 minutes a game on the fourth line. If you watched him in camp and watched him play you'd know he was ready. You don't have to take his coach and GM's words on the matter serious if you watched him.

This is the last thing I'm going to say. 5 minutes in the NHL (when the entire lineup is healthy) is better for development than playing in junior, especially considering that a 4th line with him on it wouldn't need to be limited to 5:00/game. The only guys who need to be limited like that are fighters.

dr carling

Dec 9, 2010
Montreal
And if you have watched a Bruins game live this year, or even on TV, you would have noticed that seguin OVERARCHINGLY looks like he needs to be back in plymouth. he constantly makes awful defensive decisions, looks nervous, lacking confidence, though the very obvious offensive skills are there. another year in junior > playing 5 mins a night in the show. any day of the week.

ps...smart guy...where is your degree from if you are so holier than 90% of this board. Pejorative Slur

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It depends on your definition of NHL ready. I mean, could Kassian and probably Foligno step onto the Sabres and play a 4th line role right now? More than likely.

But they're better served rounding their games out in juniors than playing 5 minutes a night on the big squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->