WJC: NHL-ready players on Canada

Leaf Predator

Mar 1, 2007
Kingston
Schenn, Ellis, and Gudbranson, to me, look to be the most NHL ready players out there for Canada. Schenn and Ellis are making plays that only NHL level talent can deal with. So many nice cross crease, fast passing plays. Granted Schenn is already playing for LA but now its really easy to see why. A man among boys.

Ellis seems to have put on some muscle and has gotten much faster. Hasn't really gotten any taller but the weight he's put on will go a long way, especially if he doesn't grow anymore.

Gudbranson is a monster physically and is already able to make crisp east west passes as well as having a very good first step and pass out of his zone. He has a great first step for a defensive player his style.

HoM: Cowen.

On the other hand, Johansen doesn't really seem to do anything. He skates fast with a huge stride but he never really likes to set up in the offensive zone. Just circles with the puck until he gets a shooting opportunity. Just kills the play IMO. Defensively he leaves a lot to be desired, more so than any other player out there.

Carter Ashton has surprised me. A lot better than I thought he was.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The only guy who can honestly say he might be NHL-ready is Gudbranson, because he didn't get the opportunity due to contract dispute. Everyone else proved they weren't NHL ready, because if they were, they wouldn't be on this team.

Schenn, Ellis & Gudbranson seem to be the closest though.... with the big question being whether or not Ellis' lack of size will hinder him significantly at the NHL level.

inoajd

Dec 11, 2010
Ellis is not ready for the NHL.

Unless you're planning to only have him out on 5on3 powerplays?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't get the Gudbranson praise.

The guy's had been involved in more miscommunication than any other defenseman on the team.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Ellis has not been as impressive as his numbers indicate. He moves the puck well on the power play, but at this point he'd be eaten alive by NHL forwards at even strength. Schenn looks the most NHL ready to me.

Leaf Predator

Mar 1, 2007
Kingston
The only guy who can honestly say he might be NHL-ready is Gudbranson, because he didn't get the opportunity due to contract dispute. Everyone else proved they weren't NHL ready, because if they were, they wouldn't be on this team.

Schenn, Ellis & Gudbranson seem to be the closest though.... with the big question being whether or not Ellis' lack of size will hinder him significantly at the NHL level.

Gudbranson is a beast out there. I've compared him to Luke Schenn before but he seems to be a better skater and have more natural flow to his game if that makes sense. Schenn needs a system to work well in, while Gudbranson can sort of pull stuff out of his ass to make a play work.

Brayden Schenn has been by far Canada's best forward so far. His play has really spoken for himself.

Ellis just needs to get taller IMO. He's so creative and has a great shot. He's gotten faster and put more muscle on. I really dont think he'll get any taller so from this point on in his career, it'll be tough for him to make it as a pro. The best thing he's got going for him though, is that he'll have all the chances he'll need to make it in Nashville. He's probably the most known CHL player right now and he's performed great at the highest levels hes been at.

I don't think any of them are NHL ready, just because they're dominating the Czechs.

That's stupid... the couple players I mentioned are absolutely dominating at the CHL level and have been their whole careers. Ellis and Schenn have absolutely nothing left to learn and prove in the CHL. Gudbranson will be in the NHL next year and Ellis' size is the only thing holding him back.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Kassian looks like a rock out there. When he gets the puck down low, its so hard to get it off him. Schenn is obvious. I also like what ive seen from Despres. Hes big, is a better skater than both Cowen and Ellis, and can also crack a big shot from the point

Pyke*

Cowen could have made the Senators; but the organization wanted more out of him than a bottom pairing defender, so they sent him back to junior. I don't think you can necessarily put a lot of stock into whether a kid is sent back or not, sometimes the organization makes that decision for reasons unrelated to current ability.

HemskyToHall*

Schenn is the obvious.

Other than that, Tyson Barrie has been impressive. Cody Eakin as well.

Leaf Predator

Mar 1, 2007
Kingston
Johansen and Cowen.

Explain Johansen.

Kassian looks like a rock out there. When he gets the puck down low, its so hard to get it off him. Schenn is obvious. I also like what ive seen from Despres. Hes big, is a better skater than both Cowen and Ellis, and can also crack a big shot from the point

Kassian has been great too. Definitely ready physically, just needs to round out his game IMO. Despres I don't know too much about but he has been good I'll give you that. Compared to Gudbranson and Ellis though? I don't think better overall.

Leaf Predator

Mar 1, 2007
Kingston
New top 5:
Schenn
Ellis
Gudbranson
Cowen
Kassian

In no particular order.

Agree/Disagree?

Jaden Schwartz I would actually put ahead of Cowen. He's also much better offensively than Kassian.

Last edited:

Pyke*

New top 5:
Schenn
Ellis
Gudbranson
Cowen
Kassian

In no particular order.

Agree/Disagree?

Gudbranson had made a couple really bad decisions away from the puck; going for big hits and hanging out his partner to dry. He's had great moments, but I feel like his game isn't complete yet.

Ellis needs to add some muscle still, but his puck skills and speed make him likely NHL ready.

Schenn obviously was not deemed to be NHL ready by the Kings most recently of any of these kids, though I think that was more, like Cowen, the Kings wanted more out of him than a 3rd line center. Schenn definitely could play in the NHL right now, but he's got a ways to go to reach his potential as a 1st line winger.

Kassian, tough to say. I mean, people might have said the same about someone like Jordan Tootoo - but the ability to make big hits and dominate board play, while important, doesn't necessarily translate to the NHL at a top line level. Kassian could make the Sabres, but would he be an impact player at this stage?

Cowen, much as I like him, still has to improve away from the puck. He does do a good job of using his reach and winning physical battles, but he chases the puck a little bit much.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Schenn is big enough, fast enough and strong enough. Hes ready if he plays like he did tonight and not the last game where he tried to do too much.

Ellis, De Haan and Barrie are not ready. All of them would get destroyed ES in the NHL.

Carter Ashton, Foligno are ready to play a bottom six role.

Gudbranson and Cowen look ready.

Leaf Predator

Mar 1, 2007
Kingston
Keep in mind Ellis probably wont grow any taller so from this point on its all about how strong he can get physically and it looks like hes done a good job at doing that this year. Skill wise he is absolutely ready to be at the NHL. All the **** Subban pulled in the OHL with his spin o ramas will not work at the NHL. Ellis' moves and creativity will work. 5 on 5 it will be tough. Maybe Nashville can afford to put him on the bottom pairing and play the hell out of him on the PP.

Leaf Predator

Mar 1, 2007
Kingston
Schenn is big enough, fast enough and strong enough. Hes ready if he plays like he did tonight and not the last game where he tried to do too much.

Ellis, De Haan and Barrie are not ready. All of them would get destroyed ES in the NHL.

Carter Ashton, Foligno are ready to play a bottom six role.

Gudbranson and Cowen look ready.

Ashton has been pretty good I agree. Foligno just looks like his brother lite. Way worse offensively, no creativty, just a pure checker where as his brother has improved somewhat offensively with the Sens. Maybe Marcus can improve too? I dont think he will that much.

De Haan and Barrie are no way NHL ready.

eakin needs mention, he probably would have made a weaker team this year.

Eakin seems to have natural scoring ability which makes up quickly for his small size and avg defensive play (like most junior players), so if that translates to the NHL, it'll do him wonders for making the Show.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
this year nick foligno seems to have regressed. Combined with how the two played in sudbury, i'd call marcus a nick clone, a few rounds later though.

Leaf Predator

Mar 1, 2007
Kingston
Gudbranson had made a couple really bad decisions away from the puck; going for big hits and hanging out his partner to dry. He's had great moments, but I feel like his game isn't complete yet.

Ellis needs to add some muscle still, but his puck skills and speed make him likely NHL ready.

Schenn obviously was not deemed to be NHL ready by the Kings most recently of any of these kids, though I think that was more, like Cowen, the Kings wanted more out of him than a 3rd line center. Schenn definitely could play in the NHL right now, but he's got a ways to go to reach his potential as a 1st line winger.

Kassian, tough to say. I mean, people might have said the same about someone like Jordan Tootoo - but the ability to make big hits and dominate board play, while important, doesn't necessarily translate to the NHL at a top line level. Kassian could make the Sabres, but would he be an impact player at this stage?

Cowen, much as I like him, still has to improve away from the puck. He does do a good job of using his reach and winning physical battles, but he chases the puck a little bit much.

Even though LA wants more out of Schenn than just 3rd line play, he's still more NHL ready than pretty much any other Canadian forward.

Kassian I think could really be an impact player next year with Buffalo. I only see him being in the AHL next year to work on his overall game. Physically he is without a doubt ready IMO.

If Ellis was 28 years old and was a legitimate man, he would be putting up 50 plus points for Nashville. He wont get any taller, something I cant stress enough, so from here on out its all about how strong he can get. For that reason alone I can really see him not being an impact player until he's in his mid 20's, when hes fully grown.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Their respective teams have already pretty much deemed Cowen and Gudbranson ready and Despres nearly made it as well.

Eakin appears smart enough. Howden could probably play just because he's a big body that moves very fast.

4Isles4*

de Hann would help the isles now....de Hann>>>>>>>>>>>B.Gervais

N he looks like he started to fill out and is not as little as he was when he was drafted....

Leaf Predator

Mar 1, 2007
Kingston
Agreed. Nothing against him, but I really haven't seen an NHL defenseman.

I think we can agree he's big enough and physically ready.

From what I've seen he's able to make the first pass out of his zone, he's got pretty decent speed for his size, not really caught out of position more than any other D, and he uses his body to box out players and knock them off the puck.

He basically does everything you want out of a defensive defenseman, plus he's already physically ready to play in the NHL, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->