NHL Rankings by way of Puck Prospectus/VUKOTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
People talk about "intangibles" in hockey because they're actually important and they matter. So perhaps a purely statisics-based projection is not the best way to make predictions in hockey. I just don't think such a method works as well in hockey as it does in baseball. I like baseball too, but hockey is a completely different sport, a less stat-based sport. There are too many other factors that go into Ws and Ls that don't show up in stats.
That's true, but if intangibles create actual differences in the goals scored, they must show up somewhere. "Intangibles" are important and they matter, but it's the degree to which they matter which is up for debate.

For the Sabres projection specifcally, you haven't addresed the comment that they lost their #1 defenceman. Surely that will have some effect on them this season, and can explain why they are rated where they are?

chaosof99*

:facepalm:

Douglas Murray had a hat-trick during the preseason.

He has 1 goal in 216 NHL games.

It was the preseason then, it was the most current data available and I later contrasted it to Martin Biron's preseason stats as it was discussed whether Biron or Emery was better.

Absolutely no facepalm about it!

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
It was the preseason then, it was the most current data available and I later contrasted it to Martin Biron's preseason stats as it was discussed whether Biron or Emery was better.

Absolutely no facepalm about it!

Preseason statistics are compiled in situations very irrelevant to regular-season NHL hockey.

chaosof99*

Preseason statistics are compiled in situations very irrelevant to regular-season NHL hockey.

And which numbers was I supposed to use for Emery in this case? The numbers from the KHL? Oh wait, somebody would have certainly complained that the KHL and NHL don't match up so well. How about the numbers from two years ago, when the Senators sucked and it was a very turbulent season for Emery in all accounts. Or even older numbers?

What exactly is the problem of comparing preseason data with preseason data in case of goaltenders? All of it was an aside anyways, as indicated by the "BTW". All I did was reject the notion that Emery was probably worse than Biron, which the guy I quoted in the first place only supported with a single and seriously flawed data point.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
And which numbers was I supposed to use for Emery in this case? The numbers from the KHL? Oh wait, somebody would have certainly complained that the KHL and NHL don't match up so well. How about the numbers from two years ago, when the Senators sucked and it was a very turbulent season for Emery in all accounts. Or even older numbers?

If you know what you're doing, it's not hard to compare numbers from the KHL and the NHL. That's actually a large component of the VUKOTA system (not just the KHL, obviously).

PlayoffBeard

Sep 14, 2005
Look, I don't think the Leafs will be a powerhouse. I hope they make the playoffs but it is FAR from a sure thing. But honestly, HONESTLY does anyone think they will finish as low as 29th in the league?!? They finished 7th worst last year, and they have improved on that team...

If the Hall vs. Kessel poll on the leafs board is any indication, then yes I think many people think they will finish as low as 29th...

Personally, I think they will finish somewhere between 20 and 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad