GDT: NHL Qualifier Game 5: Columbus vs Toronto | 8 PM 8/9

Status
Not open for further replies.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Meanwhile the celebration continues in Toronto....

1597040730-picsay.jpg

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
My personal take on the series:

Best 3 of the series:

- Seth Jones

- Pierre Luc Dubois

- Joonas Korpisalo

Worst 3 of the series:

- Oliver Bjorkstrand

- Gus Nyquist

- Nick Foligno

I made comments recently about a combo of the top 3, along with Bjorkstrand, as being 1 of the best in the league.

Maybe I should stop at the top 3, or maybe it’s just going to take a sec for OB to get back up to speed idk, but, both his skating and shot seem not up to game speed.

Nyquist just needs to not think about passing as much as he does, empty net or not.

Foligno wasn’t great in games 1-4, but, I think we should expect more offensively (and overall) from Atkinson. I really wish Foligno would‘be stepped in after the Clifford/Kukan hit.

Jones/Dubois/Korpisalo are the REAL DEAL.

Reactions: Martin Sloan

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Congrats Jackets! Have a soft spot for you and hoped you make it. I have always been a fan of Jarmo. Even in Finland he showed he can build teams and get the right players. With this success I bet players will be more willing to choose Columbus as destination to play! GL in the playoffs

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
great job fellas. The league fan base thanks you. Last year if you played the Leafs in the 2nd round you would have steam rolled them. The metro is going to be blood bath next year. Great group of players you have. Nice pick in Foudy and super goalies as well. Josh Anderson ready for Tampa?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Well, now that my 1OA dream has been shattered I think the Jackets played well and deserved to win this series. When they play that stifling D they are at their best. If there was a Conn Smythe Jr. award for this series it has to be Korpi. Now on to the rematch.

Reactions: thebus88

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
entirely disagree with this statement. There was one time that I remember the entire game where he made a 'mistake' by holding onto the puck too long/it leading to no opportunity in the offensive zone.

the kid was a threat all night long. there's a reason why the main board couldn't stop typing his name in the main playoff thread.

Agree with this - there were a number of times his keeping the puck and skating well bought time for the rest of the Jackets to get in position.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
On the same token Foudy and Texier both had eye opening moments throughout the series ... bright future for both.

Very good point, we cannot lose sight of the experience gained in playoff hockey: The chance to play, and to win and play some more will be immeasurable for Texier, Foudy, Korpi, Bems, Elvis, Kukan, Harry, Nutti and even Jens, Bjork and Cam. The experience of pushing yourself to the next tier will forever change PLD, Korpi, Seth, Zach, Elvis,Savvy Gavvy, Murr, Kuk, Nutti, and Harry. We were built from the Net out. Get Peake and Stenlund up to give us some fresh legs on Tuesday.

As Foudy's confidence grows his star will rise. Can't teach that kind of speed and smooth skating or the nose for the net.

Reactions: KK91

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Gutsy win. Torts is one helluva coach and as already mentioned, what a jaw-dropping performance by Foudy. I've never been a big fan of Korpi but he was a rock back there. A lot of draft picks played big in this series which is why I hate when this org trades them as they are uncovering some gems that have really stabilized this lineup -- Dubois, Gavrikov, Texier, Elvis, Foudy.

Disappointed Bjorkstrand, another solid pick, couldn't find his game but hopefully he comes alive against Tampa as we need goals from him.

And my money on why Elvis was "unfit to play" would be a fist to the wall after the collapse! Conspiracy theories aside, I can't wait to hear what really happened with that one.

Now I just need one of the Preds, Wild, Panthers, or Jets to win the pick tonight.

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Lol the hate for the Captain is truly hilarious

just playing hockey is enough for some of you to complain

I know that you take offense to this and just playing hockey is definitely not the issue. In my opinion: Nick Foligno stepped in when the team didn't have a leader. I thank him for that. The fact that he makes 5.5M a year, is not very talented, takes really stupid penalties because he is always trying to get back in position, makes me question if the Peter principle has occurred here. Game 4 penalty in OT that leads to their winning goal - that is inexcusable from your most experienced player, let alone from the Captain. Arguing that call made it look even worse.

Nick is a 3rd line LW, he is a fantastic heavy grinder and he has a huge heart. Asking for anything more is insane. Jenner from the same line - could play up, he has the skill, but those two play very well together.

I understand he is a very nice guy, a charitable man and a loving father. My assessment is not personal. Playing Nick out of position (lines 1 & 2) and on the PP doesn't work. He is ineffective. I also believe his legacy status has elevated him beyond his abilities. I like Nick Foligno on our team. Asking him to do more than he is physically capable of hurts the team and also elevates his salary to where it is a bad contract.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Foudy looked great, but held onto the puck to long to often. He will be much more dangerous when he starts shooting or passing quicker.

It wasn't even so much holding the puck "too long" as it was a lack of decisiveness in making a play after holding the puck. He was still dangerous - any time you can possess the puck like this, with his skating, you're going to be dangerous. He's young, and I'm excited to see him mature, maybe as quickly as this next series.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know that you take offense to this and just playing hockey is definitely not the issue. In my opinion: Nick Foligno stepped in when the team didn't have a leader. I thank him for that. The fact that he makes 5.5M a year, is not very talented, takes really stupid penalties because he is always trying to get back in position, makes me question if the Peter principle has occurred here. Game 4 penalty in OT that leads to their winning goal - that is inexcusable from your most experienced player, let alone from the Captain. Arguing that call made it look even worse.

Nick is a 3rd line LW, he is a fantastic heavy grinder and he has a huge heart. Asking for anything more is insane. Jenner from the same line - could play up, he has the skill, but those two play very well together.

I understand he is a very nice guy, a charitable man and a loving father. My assessment is not personal. Playing Nick out of position (lines 1 & 2) and on the PP doesn't work. He is ineffective. I also believe his legacy status has elevated him beyond his abilities. I like Nick Foligno on our team. Asking him to do more than he is physically capable of hurts the team and also elevates his salary to where it is a bad contract.

This series is easily Nick's worst showing and he hasn't been that bad. It's really just scapegoating going after him for game 4, he made the third goal, remember?

I don't think it matters much if he is on lines 1 or 2 or 3, because he'll play a huge role 17-18 minutes a night at minimum. He's always pressed into shutdown duty. The job of shutting down Matthews was given to him and Jenner in the last couple games. In that tough matchup last night, he was able to garner a positive corsi and expected goals. This season as a whole Nick was one of our better advanced stats players and drew praise for his shutdown ability. When injuries pushed him up to the top unit with Dubois and Bjorkstrand, he played that role very well, it in no way stopped them from piling in the goals. And no, he doesn't take multiple bad penalties per game. That is very much a this series thing. Nick takes about 10-15 minor penalties per year.

I know you don't mean it on a personal level, I think it is a bad take on a hockey level.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Playing Nick out of position (lines 1 & 2) and on the PP doesn't work. He is ineffective. I also believe his legacy status has elevated him beyond his abilities. I like Nick Foligno on our team. Asking him to do more than he is physically capable of hurts the team and also elevates his salary to where it is a bad contract.

I don’t think it’s best that Jenner or Foligno are playing on our “line 1”, or on a top PP unit, but, if you check the TOI numbers for the last 4 playoff years, you will see that they pretty much have been.

This team, this core of players, has made the playoffs more than 95% of the teams in the league in the last few years and have proven they can beat ANYBODY.

Both Jenner and Foligno have been and still are a huge part of the teams success.

Hockey, football and other full contact sports are not basketball, perceived skill only gets you so far without the will.

It’s time the OSU fans embraced the “CBJ type player” and quit with the “guys who want to be here” jokes.

I remember what you guys said about drafting Dubois, in relation to “skill” and “fit” and people hating on drafting a “CBJ type player” so high, well....guess we’ve already passed peak Dubois at 22, eh??

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I don’t think it’s best that Jenner or Foligno are playing on our “line 1”, or on a top PP unit, but, if you check the TOI numbers for the last 4 playoff years, you will see that they pretty much have been. Jenner has played on the 2nd line, and done quite well. No argument from me there.

This team, this core of players, has made the playoffs more than 95% of the teams in the league in the last few years and have proven they can beat ANYBODY.

Both Jenner and Foligno have been and still are a huge part of the teams success.

Hockey, football and other full contact sports are not basketball, perceived skill only gets you so far without the will. (We need a top line LW, and a 2nd line center) Figs, Jenns and Andy on the 3rd has always produced the best results for the CBJ. That is a fact.

It’s time the OSU fans embraced the “CBJ type player” and quit with the “guys who want to be here” jokes. ??

I remember what you guys said about drafting Dubois, in relation to “skill” and “fit” and people hating on drafting a “CBJ type player” so high, well....guess we’ve already passed peak Dubois at 22, eh??
If you go back in time and look - I said we just got the #1 skater in Canada and a projected #1 center/ PLD will be even better when we have a really good #2 center to support him - did I want Pool harvey.. yes (and admittedly wrong)

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This series is easily Nick's worst showing and he hasn't been that bad. It's really just scapegoating going after him for game 4, he made the third goal, remember?

I don't think it matters much if he is on lines 1 or 2 or 3, I know you don't mean it on a personal level, I think it is a bad take on a hockey level.
My position is We need a top line LW, we need a great #2 center. Nick unfortunately lacks the offensive tools to be a good #1 LW. He works his butt off, and that is a great attribute.

3rd liners are extremely important to a hockey club, it is generally the shutdown line, the line you put out against the other teams best offense. Foligno is perfectly suited to being a 3rd line LW, he is best when he is getting his 17-18 minutes in a 3rd line role. To play 1st line minutes or #1 PP means we don't have the horses we need and are having to play people up which makes others more ineffective. Again no offense to Cptn71, or to Nick Foligno, my take is he cannot be effective with what we are asking him to do. Over a season Jenner would have far more success on the top line, but in the NHL, he would be at his best on the 2nd or 3rd line.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My position is We need a top line LW, we need a great #2 center. Nick unfortunately lacks the offensive tools to be a good #1 LW. He works his butt off, and that is a great attribute.

3rd liners are extremely important to a hockey club, it is generally the shutdown line, the line you put out against the other teams best offense. Foligno is perfectly suited to being a 3rd line LW, he is best when he is getting his 17-18 minutes in a 3rd line role. To play 1st line minutes or #1 PP means we don't have the horses we need and are having to play people up which makes others more ineffective. Again no offense to Cptn71, or to Nick Foligno, my take is he cannot be effective with what we are asking him to do. Over a season Jenner would have far more success on the top line, but in the NHL, he would be at his best on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Nick isn't a good PP player, I'm not going to argue that. But your contention that he hurts the top line by being on it isn't right. He wins pucks and facilitates offensive play just fine. It would be better if we had a great high scoring LW to put there but it's not like it's made actively worse by putting Nick there. He just doesn't add offense. In any case, why are we discussing that? Nick Foligno is currently a winger on the shutdown unit, where you claim he is perfectly suited.

Reactions: thebus88 and CPTN71

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Congrats! Obviously I'm not happy, but at least we lost against a great team that I really like! Hopefully you'll beat Tampa again! :)

(I won't hop on your bandwagon though, I don't want that you guys will have bad luck. lol)

Reactions: Viqsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad