GDT: NHL Qualifier Game 3: Toronto at Columbus | 8 PM 8/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I admit I'm having trouble getting back into hockey at the moment and as one of the 38% I wouldn't mind, and in fact, prefer losing this series. However, as Cyclone mentioned previously I admire the Jackets resiliency and the comeback. Too bad they can't play like that all the time. Is it them or is it Torts' game plan. I dunno. Probably a combo.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It's a slap in Korpi's face to be pulled because the offense was doing squat in all the time he was in there. Elvis did what a good backup should do. If the roles were reversed I would expect Elvis to go back in. Korpi has played plenty good enough to remain the starter.
The third goal was a softie though, he was pulled under right circumstances

Reactions: CPTN71

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
I'm going to read this thread for the first time the day after, and I can imagine it's going to be quite "interesting"

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
The third goal was a softie though, he was pulled under right circumstances
He was pulled to spark the offense. If the Jackets were answering back he never gets pulled. Look at the Vegas/ Blues game. Ten goals and niether goalie was pulled. The offenses were answering back when scored upon.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Can I ask who you believe the “hot hand” is?

Crazy that people are so quick to change goalies after 1 questionable goal and great play the other 95% of the series.

Goal 3 was very similar to the Atkinson goal in game 1. I hope Torts makes the correct decision again for game 4.
The numbers and momentum of last night speak for themselves. They played 4 1/2 periods of uninspired hockey with Korpisalo in net after game 1. They came alive when Elvis came in.

No matter who is in goal, they are going to have a quick hook in this series. I believe you don't mess with something that is working. This isn't Martin Brodeur with Chris Terreri as his backup. This is a team with 2 number 1 goalies on the roster. Torts has never claimed that Korpisalo has won the job outright. You ride the hot hand. This is finally an opportunity to do what everyone but you expected when the season started.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Elvis has to start tonight. Lose, and Korpi can go back in for game five.

If we make a deep playoff run, it wouldn't surprise me for both goalies to end up playing something like a 60/40 split. Keep them fresh.

Interesting to see if there's anyone new in tonight (Gerbe, Stenlund?). Some fresh legs wouldn't be the worst thing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The numbers and momentum of last night speak for themselves. They played 4 1/2 periods of uninspired hockey with Korpisalo in net after game 1. They came alive when Elvis came in.

No matter who is in goal, they are going to have a quick hook in this series. I believe you don't mess with something that is working. This isn't Martin Brodeur with Chris Terreri as his backup. This is a team with 2 number 1 goalies on the roster. Torts has never claimed that Korpisalo has won the job outright. You ride the hot hand. This is finally an opportunity to do what everyone but you expected when the season started.

Of course they were down 3 goals. What other choice did they have?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not to get ahead of myself but does everyone realize that if the CBJ win this series there is a really good chance it is a Tampa rematch? If I understand the round robin and the reseeding that happens, it all comes down to if the CBJ win, who wins the Montreal/Pens series and the outcome of Philly and Tampa on Saturday.

Tampa/Philly winner wins the round robin and I assume gets the #1 seed. If CBJ win and Montreal wins, CBJ essentially become the 7 seed and would play the loser of Tampa/Philly. If CBJ win and Pittsburgh wins, CBJ would be the 8 seed and play the TBL/PHI winner.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Of course they were down 3 goals. What other choice did they have?
Kept Korpisalo in until he gave up 5 and then left the bench for an early shower?

I'm not faulting him and saying he sucked but there was a definite momentum shift and you ride that momentum as long as you can. I would do the same to Elvis if the team needed to do something different.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I, for one, would be happy to never see Wennberg play another game for the Jackets. Game turned around when Torts stopped throwing him out there. Unfortunate that Bemstrom and Robinson were byproducts of the necessary benching of Pooh, but it is what it is. It wasn't like Bjorkstrand was much of a threat last night either, but he's "earned his stripes" or whatever. I thought Robinson's speed and size were a bit disruptive at times and Bemstrom, except for his flailing of the puck late on an early PP, is still pretty dangerous out there in the offensive zone. Still...I think Jarmo overhyped the kid a bit.

Anyway, hope we see Stenlund in there for Wennberg tonight.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Elvis has to start tonight. Lose, and Korpi can go back in for game five.

If we make a deep playoff run, it wouldn't surprise me for both goalies to end up playing something like a 60/40 split. Keep them fresh.

Interesting to see if there's anyone new in tonight (Gerbe, Stenlund?). Some fresh legs wouldn't be the worst thing.

Agreed. No way Elvis doesn't play.

I'd definitely swap Bemstrom out for Gerbe or Stenlund. Bemstrom sat most of the 3rd and OT so it's pointless to start him again if Torts doesn't trust him. The one shift he played in ot he was awful. Bemstrom needs to improve a bit.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The team seems to play a much more conservative style in front of Korpi, as if they feel a strong need to protect him. When Elvis is in there, the team seems more confident of Elvis standing on his own and so they play a more aggressive offensive game in front of Elvis.

Reactions: Reynys and Fro

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Not going to lie I'm gutted after last nights game. My goodness though Jones and Werenski are fun to watch and PLD is a problem! Hopefully the game 2 version of the Blue Jackets come out tonight :p.

Good Luck Jacket fans!
You’re lucky the rest of our offense is still MIA. :sarcasm:

Nyquist, Bjorkstrand, Atkinson are all underperforming heavily

Reactions: robertmac43

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Oh, and I'd be disappointed if I didn't give a shout-out to Riley Nash. I can't remember exactly when this happened, but I think it was about the 10' mark of OT. We were disorganized, and kept chipping pucks off the boards trying to clear, and it wasn't working. He won a battle behind our net, and showed a ton of patience with the puck, then skated the puck out before connecting on a pass to center. About ten seconds later he did the same thing at center ice, and a scoring chance was generated. It was a little thing, but it seems to completely settle everyone down, and we were much better after that.

We have to do a better job at keeping the puck.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Oh, and I'd be disappointed if I didn't give a shout-out to Riley Nash. I can't remember exactly when this happened, but I think it was about the 10' mark of OT. We were disorganized, and kept chipping pucks off the boards trying to clear, and it wasn't working. He won a battle behind our net, and showed a ton of patience with the puck, then skated the puck out before connecting on a pass to center. About ten seconds later he did the same thing at center ice, and a scoring chance was generated. It was a little thing, but it seems to completely settle everyone down, and we were much better after that.

We have to do a better job at keeping the puck.

Nash has been solid this series and I’d say even really, really good if you evaluate him based on his role/expectations.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
3 goals is too much for this group. 4 to win? HAH.

If we win I’ll drink enough whiskey to float a battleship. BOOK IT
Booked. I want photo evidence. I almost zoned out too...what an unbelievable turnaround. If that is PLD’s next step to stardom and not just a one game wonder, we have our #1C ... he has had stretches before but that was AWESOME

Reactions: thebus88

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Wennberg is doing nothing as a center to drive play. I would switch him with Nash and give 20 a shot playing up. He’s showing me more than 10.
Torts listened to me! And Wennberg would be 4th line/bench duties tonight assuming he dresses.

Reactions: eljefe72

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I could see it, he mentioned in post game that he pulled Korpi because he was looking ahead to tonights game. But I think you have to go with Elvis. At least at the start. Elvis looked a bit shaky in net to me. He stopped everything he saw, but outside of the three kick saves in OT I don't think they were very tough saves. He was very sharp with his stick disrupting passing lanes though.

But yeah, my guess is Elvis in net tonight.
Elvis’ sequence of saves In OT during a Toronto net barrage was incredible and confident as he stopped multiple shots directly in front of him.

Reactions: CPTN71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->