NHL postpones 2021 Winter Classic and All-Star Game

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
And no one was shocked. It was pretty clear this wasn't going to happen since the Wild haven't even been talking about it or selling tickets. At least it gives them more time to plan it and renovate target field for winter conditions.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
That works.

I was worried our first Winter Classic would feature a Wild team that's young and upcoming but still retooling. (Even though the Wild are going to be in the playoffs next year, book it)

Waiting a year falls perfectly into the retooling timeline.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The all star game has been a waste of time for years.

The Winter Classic kind of sucks to lose it would have been cool to open a new season with that.

But the all star game is garbage and has been for nearly 20 years

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Was looking forward to this since Minnesota was planning on making it a week long event that highlighted hockey history in our state. Sounded like they were going to have some type of festival my guess would be like hockey state fair going on. Minnesota wanted to have events and shows that would draw people to the area even if they didn't have a ticket to the game. Sounded like the NHL was blown away in the presentation and the reason why they picked Minnesota. They never released what the events would be but I could guess.
  • Concerts
  • food stands
  • Northstar and Wild Alumni
  • highschool hockey and youth hockey games
  • fair games
  • vendors
  • meet the team events
  • US hockey hall of fame might travel down
  • Minnesota hockey alumni.
  • Maybe even a college game
Probably sounds lame to people not from the state, but Minnesotans love eating fair food and drinking hot coco in the winter.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Was looking forward to this since Minnesota was planning on making it a week long event that highlighted hockey history in our state. Sounded like they were going to have some type of festival my guess would be like hockey state fair going on. Minnesota wanted to have events and shows that would draw people to the area even if they didn't have a ticket to the game. Sounded like the NHL was blown away in the presentation and the reason why they picked Minnesota. They never released what the events would be but I could guess.
  • Concerts
  • food stands
  • Northstar and Wild Alumni
  • highschool hockey and youth hockey games
  • fair games
  • vendors
  • meet the team events
  • US hockey hall of fame might travel down
  • Minnesota hockey alumni.
  • Maybe even a college game
Probably sounds lame to people not from the state, but Minnesotans love eating fair food and drinking hot coco in the winter.

This is why they don't axe the All-Star game/Winter Classic.

Its not that popular to watch on TV, I havent watched it in years. But it does create a buzz in the city that is hosting it. I havent watched the MLB all-star game in years either, but there was a sense of electricity in the air in the DC area with all sorts of events when they hosted it a few years back.

Hell, I still kept and reuse the ASG Metro (subway) card even though its pretty beat up and disgusting now even to this day.

20201023_095446.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HotDish

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Yeah no way they have any interest in the Winter Classic without fans. Can't sell $300 nosebleed seats to 45K+ fans as well as the new jerseys. I personally enjoy it on New Years Day...just wish they'd ditch the 283 other outdoor games.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad