NHL Playoff Games On The Golf Channel?

gbislander

Sep 21, 2015
Most media see it as a big “**** you” to the league for skipping the olympics which were NBC’s.

At the same time, however, Golf Channel is much more widespread then NHL Network.

Why are people in the media looking at this as being a "punishment" for the NHL? It's no different than having the games on CNBC. Actually, it makes more sense for the games to be on the Golf Channel and not CNBC in my opinion, because NBC Sports Net. and Golf Channel are right next to each other on the channel guide (I think*). Therefore, people who are trying to look for the other games, don't have to go fishing for the CNBC channel. Also, does anyone know if you get NBC Sports/Golf Channel you also get CNBC or are they separate packages? I'd assume if you get NBC Sports then you get Golf.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Why are people in the media looking at this as being a "punishment" for the NHL? It's no different than having the games on CNBC. Actually, it makes more sense for the games to be on the Golf Channel and not CNBC in my opinion, because NBC Sports Net. and Golf Channel are right next to each other on the channel guide (I think*). Therefore, people who are trying to look for the other games, don't have to go fishing for the CNBC channel. Also, does anyone know if you get NBC Sports/Golf Channel you also get CNBC or are they separate packages? I'd assume if you get NBC Sports then you get Golf.
I believe if you get NBCSN you get Golf. At least that’s how it is with me (FiOS)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Coming out of the lockout the league was on the OUTDOOR LIFE NETWORK. This is nbd though mildly amusing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is this for real? LMAO
I read somewhere that the GOLF channel is in more homes than CNBC and NHL Network is (don't quote me on that though). USA isn't really intended to be a sports channel and is rather filled with people in retirement homes watching binge episodes of Law and Order. It's more about not showing games on NBC and preferring the local news/Family ****ing Feud where the NHL should be angry about.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
I read somewhere that the GOLF channel is in more homes than CNBC and NHL Network is (don't quote me on that though). USA isn't really intended to be a sports channel and is rather filled with people in retirement homes watching binge episodes of Law and Order. It's more about not showing games on NBC and preferring the local news/Family ****ing Feud where the NHL should be angry about.

According to Wikipedia (I know I know) the Golf Channel is in 79 mil homes while CNBC is in 93 mil.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
To me, it makes more sense that NBC wants a different set of eyes on the Golf Channel than somehow sticking it to the NHL by placing them on a sports network where the median household income of viewers is much higher than USA.

Oh and these being on a Wednesday night, the night before golf tournaments begin should not be lost on anyone. People will fall asleep with hockey games on their TV and wake up to golf coverage.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
and 1st round games of the NCAA Tournament are broadcast on Tru TV...networks do this for events that have many games going on at once

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

It is in less homes than CNBC and USA Network (which are two of the most widely distributed channels). It is in about as many homes as NBCSN.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
So I guess USA can't air games on Wednesday because they have a new episode of Suits.

The title of next week's episode: Pulling The Goalie

:laugh:

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
I don't mind it, lol.

upload_2018-4-9_22-36-49.png

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
To me, it makes more sense that NBC wants a different set of eyes on the Golf Channel than somehow sticking it to the NHL by placing them on a sports network where the median household income of viewers is much higher than USA.

Oh and these being on a Wednesday night, the night before golf tournaments begin should not be lost on anyone. People will fall asleep with hockey games on their TV and wake up to golf coverage.

Sticking it to the NHL?? What? :huh: You're trying to make an issue where there isn't one.

Why not there are 8 playoff series and the NHL wants to show every second of them, so getting 8 channels/networks is a moderate challenge.

And why not expose some golfers to hockey in the first round??

How are NBC / NHL the "bad guys" here...? It's all good.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Why would NBC lose money by putting a hockey game on a worse network to "stick it" to the NHL?

I wonder if golf channel advertisers were willing to pay more to advertise to hockey fans. Makes sense actually.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Sticking it to the NHL?? What? :huh: You're trying to make an issue where there isn't one.

Why not there are 8 playoff series and the NHL wants to show every second of them, so getting 8 channels/networks is a moderate challenge.

And why not expose some golfers to hockey in the first round??

How are NBC / NHL the "bad guys" here...? It's all good.

I am not trying to make an issue where there isn't one. In fact, if you read the sentence that you bolded, you will see that I do not think that NBC is sticking it to the NHL. I then proceeded to make a similar argument you made later in your post in a better way shortly after.

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The programming lineup for the others channels during those games on the Golf Channel is laughable too, NBC really sticking it to the NHL

Both CNBC and USA have original programming that night. I suspect that played a part in the decision.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
golf and hockey are basically the same sport so this shouldn't really be surprising to anyone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad