News Article: NHL playoff format will knock out top teams early

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I will say this: it's not very often that the #1 & #2 teams ever face each other in the playoffs. The as of now decent possibility of that happening is pretty exciting. That said, it kind of feels like a video game where you have to fight the final boss half way through. Either #1 or #2 is going to miss out on a lot of gameplay... er, revenue.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
And if was 1 VS 16 with no care to divisions or conferences

NASH - FLD
WPG - NJ
TB - CLB
BOS - PHIL
VEG - LOS
WASH - SJ
TOR - PITTS
MINN - ANA
This does not work because teams in the west only play 2 games against the Eastern teams.
But Western conference teams play 4 games against teams in their own division and 3 against the other western division teams so 1 vs 8 within the conferences would work.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
To be the best you need to beat the best, I don't care which round it's in.
Then why have seeding at all if that is your logic? Why not just do a random draw, like the Champions League in soccer?

The reason for me is that we want the best teams playing each other when it matters the most, therefore maximizing entertainment value.

This has zero to do with “beating the best” - it’s the timing of when that happens.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I agree with both sides here. I am a fan of these rivalry first round matches..they are awesome! But, it comes at a price and the price is if the top teams advance to the second round, they likely are playing Western and Eastern Conference Finals one round early. I can live with that as the best team should win regardless of when you play each other.

In 2014, the Hawks were about to go back to back to the Cup Finals, but we had to play the Kings....every single hockey fan knew that the 2 best teams in the league that year was the Hawks and Kings....so what many of us fans felt was we played the Stanley Cup right then and there between the two top teams...sometimes that is just the odds and luck of it all...you have stronger conferences than others, it really isn't fair that the Hawks who lost in 7 games to the Kings (and in OT) didn't get to go play for the Cup and destroy the Rangers..

There are always going to be circumstances that some fans won't like, but I understand what the league is trying to do, and if the Preds and Jets meet next round, the best team will win and likely cruise to the Cup...I honestly do not see a bad matchup here anywhere in either conference...both sides are pretty solid this year and I doubt anyone runs the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad