NHL Players You've Played with or Against

Status
Not open for further replies.

gameface

May 30, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
This one may have been discussed before, but I was too lazy to look into it.

I don't really talk too much about playing hockey in my youth (I'm now 40), but when the above-mentioned topic comes up, I've got some interesting names to throw out.

The only player I've played with that ever made the NHL was a Bruins draft choice who only had a cup of coffee - Doug Kostynski. I've played against some though. Cam Neely of Maple Ridge. Brett Hull at North Shore Winter Club. Cliff Ronning at Burnaby Winter Club. There were a few others that played a couple of games, but that's about it.

Funny thing about Hull. When he was 15 or thereabouts, he was a little roly-poly who couldn't skate but had a Howitzer of a shot. From all the slagging I see him taking on these boards, he must have returned to that shape.

Ronning had all the talent in the world but everybody thought his size would hold him back.

Neely was OK (played rep in what, at the time, wasn't too good of an organization), but really blossomed when he hit Midget. Once he got to Portland, he was pretty much unstoppable.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I'm too young to have played against guys in the NHL at the moment but I've played against Mark Katic for 5 seasons. Katic is a future first round pick in the NHL.

ProctorSilex

Played with: Travis Roche, Jordin Tootoo, Rocky Thompson (Rocky just in pickup games at the rink and street hockey).
Against: Justin Cox, Mike Comrie, Joffry Lupul

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Sharks pick and Sens farmhand Jesse Fibiger skated a few times at the rink where me and my buddy played pickup; he and some other college guys (none I recognized) who were all from around the local area (Victoria, BC) would show up after the college season. They all usually stuck to themselves at one end of the rink and shot on their goalie, but once they scrimmaged with us peons. Night and day in terms of skill; it was quite an eye-opener.

Habsaholic

May 23, 2004
I have played against John LeClair in a HS tournament. He mustve developed late because I was a better player than him, one thing he had was one hell of a slapshot. He was also very disciplined. I also played against some of the Bruins in the early 90s as a walk on try out.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
In the last couple weeks I've played with/against a few in a summer pickup skate session. They are petty much prospects just staying in shape. Eric Fehr, Alex Steen, Owen Fussey and a few more.

Two years ago I played a season with Craig Millar - the guy who Edmonton traded Miro Satan for.

In midget I played against a couple guys who were drafted really high - Scott Kelman and Jeff Hereema, but neither turned out to be successful, although Hereema still has a chance to play.

And I skate once in a while with a group of ex-Jets, Thomas Steen is sometimes out, another old goon named Perry Miller is there - funny, funny man.

That's all I can remember right now, I'm probably missing a few.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
I played in the same arena but not against or with Rob Niedermayer.... girlfriend went to school with Brad Lukowich and Cam Ondrik.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Just skated with Berezin like a month ago. Um......i dont think anyone else, I'm too young though to have played against anyone like that.

ProctorSilex

It's kind of funny about almost all our stories and how you'd never expect some guys to make it where they did. Travis Roche for example was a average at best player here, but he worked his ass off and deserves everything he got. Justin Cox used to be a joke around our team "that kid that acts like he can stickhandle but just slaps his stick on the ice really loud".

But then again, Mike Comrie was amazing, he burned us bad once and got a good 6 goals, I remember just trying to stop him but he'd break my ankles turning me inside out. God I hate that guy.

ProctorSilex

I never even thought about it until I saw his name a couple minutes ago, but my bantam team played against some Ukraine Select team that travelled all over Alberta. Only one on the team that made it anywhere was Dainus Zubrus.

He actually fought our goalie Blair in the first period and they were both kicked out, so I never got to see how good he was, but I remember the buzz going in.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
In minor hockey, I played against Patrick Marleau, Curtis Brown, Jeff Friesen, Lynn Loyns, Cam Severson, lots of minor leaguers (too many to mention). Only ever played with one guy though and he's currently only in Worcester (I guess Peoria now), Blake Evans.

In men's league hockey, I've played against many in our summer league: Sean Brown, Joffrey Lupul, Brian Sutherby, Georges Laraque (with and against), Brant Myhres, Cory Cross, Kurt Lackton, etc...Geez, can't remember any others, but I know there were more. It's a good summer league with many junior and NHLers coming back to play.

Oh and in an exhibition game, we played this Russian select under 18 team with a 15 year old by the name of Fedor Fedorov.

Always fun to lace 'em up against these guys...

*EDIT* Just thought of Cam Severson...

Last edited:

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I'm playing on a team with Sergei Gusev right now here in Tampa, and played with Rudy Poeschek in nationals 2 years ago. I've played against a team that Ted Nolan was coaching in a tournament a few years ago, and his son Brandon who plays for Manitoba was playing for them. I played against Paul Stastny in juniors 2 years ago, he'll probably be a 1st rounder this year, maybe 2nd rounder.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
I used to play with and against Neal Broten and Steve Christoff at the Bloomington Ice Gardens, the year after they won the gold at Lake Placid and just before they went pro. Soctty Bugstad and Aaron Broten played sometimes, too, but Neal was there every night. The guy was a rink rat. Best player I every skated against, by far. Made me look absolutely foolish one day.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Sean Toomey, who played on a line with Brett Hull at UMD, then with the north stars...and I just skated with AJ Thelen, 12th overall in the 04 draft

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I helped out at Tretiak's goalie school a couple years ago, and I sniped a sweet goal on Nabokov. He was having a horrible day and all the kids were scoring on him, it was hillarious, I don't think he wanted to be there

eaton28

Feb 5, 2005
too young for NHL guys but i have played agianst a few players that got drafted to the OHL, Yves Bastien, Ryan Crouch, Justin Levec, Cory McGillis, Christian Cundari, and Danny Battochio

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
The only NHL player I've played with is Stevie Weiss.

As for NHL quality prospects, I've played against several including Sydney Crosby, Alexander Picard, while playing with Patrick O'Sullivan, Chad Painchaud, Kyle Quincey, David Shantz.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
ProctorSilex said:
I never even thought about it until I saw his name a couple minutes ago, but my bantam team played against some Ukraine Select team that travelled all over Alberta. Only one on the team that made it anywhere was Dainus Zubrus.

He actually fought our goalie Blair in the first period and they were both kicked out, so I never got to see how good he was, but I remember the buzz going in.
Zubrus has had nothing to do with the Ukraine. He's lithuanian and plays for Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad