NHL players who have grew up with adversity?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Makes you wonder… when the talent pool is so filtered to begin with, all the people who could’ve become great hockey players if they grew up in different circumstances

Yup, essentially anyone gifted with the athletic ability plus the opportunity could've. Hopefully we see more diversity in the game in our life times.

Reactions: elitepete

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Sounds like mortgages are too high and workers are getting low-balled. That means people have to live in large households, and believe me, it's not a choice. The banks and companies are screwing you, not other people just trying to make a living.

You mentioned competition. We don't have to compete with each other. The few people holding almost all of the world's wealth are creating that mindset.
It is 100% happening. You dont have to believe it.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
It's the business owners that are driving down salaries even as 2020 was the best year most companies ever had.

Don't fight over crumbs.

You don't say... I wonder why that would be?

Could it have anything to do with the labor market being distorted since you now have 100 people vying for the same job when before it was only 10?

Business owners aren't evil, they're just not stupid to pay more than they have to. People are predatory and it's a dog eat dog world. That's why you need to give your population the best shot at a good job by not flooding the talent pool.

May 17, 2009
Maine
I literally said I don’t trust either the media or Trump. For the record I am not a Trump supporter either. I am a Trunp defender because of the continuous lies from the media which has lost all credibility. The whole “fine people” lie is a perfect example of that.

So admittedly, I misread that part. I'm thoroughly confused. If you don't trust trump why do you accept his statement that this was fabricated by democrats but not the clear context of his tweets?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It is 100% happening. You dont have to believe it.
It's happening but it doesn't have to be happening.

Every single person in this thread is closer to homelessness than being rich and always will be, and we hate each other over it.

We can't even celebrate people overcoming adversity without a "hey I had adversity too" dick measuring contest.

I think it's sad that there's so much disdain for people for literally no reason.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Could it have anything to do with the labor market being distorted since you now have 100 people vying for the same job when before it was only 10?

Business owners aren't evil, they're just not stupid to pay more than they have to. People are predatory and it's a dog eat dog world. That's why you need to give your population the best shot at a good job by not flooding the talent pool.
Don't even speak to me.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
So admittedly, I misread that part. I'm thoroughly confused. If you don't trust trump why do you accept his statement that this was fabricated by democrats but not the clear context of his tweets?
I dont trust him Democrats or the media. I do research and judge from there. Most times even as a liberal I tend to support republicans.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017

If you're dining with owners of NBA teams maybe you should check your own privilege first.

Everyone forget about the common guy.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
It's happening but it doesn't have to be happening.

Every single person in this thread is closer to homelessness than being rich and always will be, and we hate each other over it.

We can't even celebrate people overcoming adversity without a "hey I had adversity too" dick measuring contest.

I think it's sad that there's so much disdain for people for literally no reason.
I agree. But at the same time I think a lot of what is happening is political and bullshit from the far left and far right and not really willing to be reasonable and just want to have a different opinion Becuse they have to. Which is disgusting. We are all pawns

May 17, 2009
Maine
If you're dining with owners of NBA teams maybe you should check your own privilege first.

Everyone forget about the common guy.

So since I once had dinner with a friend and her spouse and the spouse happened to be the child of an NBA owner, I'm automatically leading a life of privilege? I'll definitely concede that I have it better than many but your extrapolation misses the mark greatly.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
That you're not white just makes having those views even sadder tbh

Why? Because I should hold a group view and identity instead?

I am an individual first and foremost. I am not defined by my genes and heritage but by my actions, beliefs, desires, and character.

Shame on you for trying to allude otherwise.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So since I once had dinner with a friend and her spouse and the spouse happened to be the child of an NBA owner, I'm automatically leading a life of privilege? I'll definitely concede that I have it better than many but your extrapolation misses the mark greatly.
I kiss the ground every day for the opportunities I have. I want others to have the same.

People saying "you're lucky so you don't get to be upset about disadvantages" isn't the gotcha people think it is.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Why? Because I should hold a group view and identity instead?

I am an individual first and foremost. I am not defined by my genes and heritage but by my actions, beliefs, desires, and character.

Shame on you for trying to allude otherwise.

I get that too and I hate it tbh. People expect cause youre _____ you definitely believe ______. Excuse the wording but things aren't so black and white.:thumbu:

Shout out to my man Evander cause he had to scrape to make it to the NHL. Stewart brothers too and I think I read it about Nuge.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Zack Kassian grew up with a single mother after his father passed away when he was young. Iirc, he wasn’t able to afford equipment a lot of the time as well, and other parents from has teams chipped in a lot to get him equipment.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Blame government and the people voting them in, as they're the ones encouraging mass immigration. More workers means more competing for the same wages meaning less opportunity for everyone, which ultimately results in stagnant wages over extended periods.
I think you have ZERO knowledge of economics

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

That is evil when the livelihood of people depends on it.

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
Hockey is a rich white guys sport, these guys don’t grow up with the same circumstances/in the same neighborhoods as many ball players. Much easier to stay out of trouble when you aren’t living in an environment that breeds it...
some players have overcome difficult things like losing there dad's when they were young

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
NHLers are largely and increasingly coming from rich kid backgrounds, as the sport becomes more expensive and demanding. But that's still far from being everybody.

"Kids who grew up in Russia in the 1990s" should encompass most of the NHLers who grew up in poverty. Russia was in a state of economic collapse in the 90s and many people were on the edge of survival. Alcoholism was at epidemic levels, you can look through rosters of Soviet teams from the 1980s and see how many of the players died in the 1990s - either from alcohol directly or from violence or car crashes. Half of some teams died young from various causes! Deaths from gang violence would have succeeded anything comparable in any part of the United States. Sport was an entirely public investment prior to that point and suddenly all public support disappeared. There were many rinks closed down.

So that makes it all the more stunning that a kid like Panarin was able to make it. Artemi wore shoes inside of his grandfather's skates, his grandmother sewed his gloves from old leather, and they taped together discarded equipment that they found. He was still far from the rink and had to travel on public transport alone as a boy to get to Chelyabinsk, and he was supposedly often shaken down on the way.

What are the stories with Datsyuk and Kuznetsov?

1. Pavel Datsyuk is a player who has overcome a lot to become an NHL player both on and off the ice.
    He lost his mother when he was only 16 years old, and he often had to overcome his lack of size as a youngster.
    Datsyuk is only 5'11" and weighs under 200 pounds. That is small for an NHL player.
    During his youth, Datsyuk played in RSL before being drafted in 1998 after being passed over in 1996 and 1997.
    Although he had talent, his size was always an issue. It took a while for him to fully make an impact.
    Now Datsyuk is considered one of the best players in the world, but his journey to superstardom was unlikely and unprecedented.
    info from a 2013 Bleacher report article

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
some players have overcome difficult things like losing there dad's when they were young
I didn’t mean to say that NHL players don’t have to deal will adversity, just different forms of it from the examples used in OP. Everyone has their struggles, and no two are the same.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

As someone who has also experienced that terrible misfortune, I don't think we should consider it comparable to the misfortune of growing up in poverty or growing up in violence. With a strong family you can still achieve a lot even after losing a parent. I don't think the odds are nearly as good for those coming from poverty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad