NHL players who have grew up with adversity?

May 17, 2009
Maine
Is that what he meant becuse the media told you that or because there was a serious threat from religious groups. Look at The most populous Muslim countries in the world. How many of those were included in the ban?

*herp derp the media told you to believe that* is a f***ing weak sauce argument. Yes, the report is that he said something to the effect of "why are we taking so many people from shithold countries" which directly implies that he would have preferred to either take few legal immigrants or to take legal immigrants from 'better' countries.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can't speak for Canada but if you grow up in the United States and you can't get a job in tech, engineering or finance because of immigration please blame yourself.

I would argue that net-net immigrants add more to the economy than they take. The money they earn does, generally speaking, return to the local economy. Some goes back home in the form of remittances but that is more than made up for in what the undocumented immigrant community provides in subsidy to our economy in the form of inexpensive labor that American citizens are unwilling to do.
In my professional opinion (not to toot my own horn), not only do they add more, but we basically lean on them. They disproportionately do work in the most essential industry there is (food) and these are jobs that native-born American/Canadians absolutely will not do. Never have. It's back-breaking work and it doesn't pay.

It shouldn't be that way. We shouldn't lean on people making piss-ant wages to make the world go around. But it is that way and until it isn't, maybe we should be less mean to these people at the very least.

Talk about player backgrounds, every foreign-born player (including Canadians in the US and vice versa) are there to work as immigrants. The man does the sportsball good and you buy a shirt with his name on it, but the man putting food on your table needs to get lost. Again, it just shows what people take for granted in a reality where having food every night is normal.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Give an example of where it was xenophobic in this thread. Or is this just another way to derail an argument by throwing out xenophobic racism islamaphobic homophobic etc. etc. etc. you know the drill.
Oh yes, let's not derail the conversation....we wouldn't want that to happen in this thread titled "Why immigrants suck" wait, when did OP change the title?

Reactions: Quadruple Dion

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
*herp derp the media told you to believe that* is a f***ing weak sauce argument. Yes, the report is that he said something to the effect of "why are we taking so many people from shithold countries" which directly implies that he would have preferred to either take few legal immigrants or to take legal immigrants from 'better' countries.
so we just beleive the Democrat that said he said it? Just like when the media says there is a source that says this and that and never reveal the source. And when a republicans says anything the media takes it with a grain of salt.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
so we just beleive the Democrat that said he said it? Just like when the media says there is a source that says this and that and never reveal the source. And when a republicans says anything the media takes it with a grain of salt.
If you can't trust "unnamed sources" who can you trust? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Puckclektr

May 17, 2009
Maine

Trump's tweets in response to that story breaking essentially confirmed the truth of what he said. Furthermore, Republicans on the hill also condemned his comments which tells me they received private confirmation of it from someone they trusted (most likely Mario Diaz-Balart). Believe what you want, but my acceptance of the apparent truth of that anecdote is based on the fact that it was confirmed through two sources, that Republican electeds participated in the condemnation and that Trump's tweets doubled down on at least the spirit of the statement.

Reactions: Eisen

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I mean, somebody in this thread basically did but I have a feeling you're not going to see it that way because you don't want to.
Well then I must’ve missed it. Can you quote it? Because as a child of immigrant parents I don’t like comments like that. And that’s a nice presumption. Just because I have certain views doesn’t mean I don’t like immigrants especially when I am from an immigrant family

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Trump's tweets in response to that story breaking essentially confirmed the truth of what he said. Furthermore, Republicans on the hill also condemned his comments which tells me they received private confirmation of it from someone they trusted (most likely Mario Diaz-Balart). Believe what you want, but my acceptance of the apparent truth of that anecdote is based on the fact that it was confirmed through two sources, that Republican electeds participated in the condemnation and that Trump's tweets doubled down on at least the spirit of the statement.
He also said it was made up by Democrats. We can agree to disagree on that. I don’t trust Trump or the media

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well then I must’ve missed it. Can you quote it? Because as a child of immigrant parents I don’t like comments like that. And that’s a nice presumption. Just because I have certain views doesn’t mean I don’t like immigrants especially when I am from an immigrant family
It was the same person who said poverty isn't adversity, which is one of the worst, most tone-deaf comments I've ever seen on the internet.

"Lmao, you're right. It's magic, there's no way how could hundreds of thousands of people coming in each year into Canada alone could possibly drive down Trucking, Engineering, Technology, Finance, Construction, and Retail wages.

It's funny because before people used to blame making such statements on "racism". Now immigrants who came long before are finding their children unable to find jobs out of school because they're competing with mass immigration. You reap what you sow."

This comment doesn't even say illegal immigration, it just says immigration. And you don't get to hide behind "mass immigration" either because 1) it's bullshit, the populations of Canada and the US haven't jumped in a generation and 2) once you're putting a number on it, then yes, you're a saying a certain number of immigrants suck.

I'm not trying to presume anything but you're playing devil's advocate a lot in this thread, and I feel that we're so caught up in politicization, both-sidesism, and made up culture wars that people just say horrible things like this and we sit there and analyze it as a political opinion instead of the spew and vitriol that it is.

May 17, 2009
Maine
He also said it was made up by Democrats. We can agree to disagree on that. I don’t trust Trump or the media

So you come at me for just believing whatever the media tells me and when I lay out all the context for why I trust the account of what happened you dig your heels in and just believe whatever Trump tells you. That's priceless.

Reactions: Eisen

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
It was the same person who said poverty isn't adversity, which is one of the worst, most tone-deaf comments I've ever seen on the internet.

"Lmao, you're right. It's magic, there's no way how could hundreds of thousands of people coming in each year into Canada alone could possibly drive down Trucking, Engineering, Technology, Finance, Construction, and Retail wages.

It's funny because before people used to blame making such statements on "racism". Now immigrants who came long before are finding their children unable to find jobs out of school because they're competing with mass immigration. You reap what you sow."

This comment doesn't even say illegal immigration, it just says immigration. And you don't get to hide behind "mass immigration" either because 1) it's bullshit, the populations of Canada and the US haven't jumped in a generation and 2) once you're putting a number on it, then yes, you're a saying a certain number of immigrants suck.

I'm not trying to presume anything but you're playing devil's advocate a lot in this thread, and I feel that we're so caught up in politicization, both-sidesism, and made up culture wars that people just say horrible things like this and we sit there and analyze it as a political opinion instead of the spew and vitriol that it is.
I started by saying it isn’t a rich mans sport and that you don’t have to be rich to play the sport. Then it took off from there. Byfield is a perfect example. His parents couldn’t afford it and they had help.

Last edited:

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
So you come at me for just believing whatever the media tells me and when I lay out all the context for why I trust the account of what happened you dig your heels in and just believe whatever Trump tells you. That's priceless.
I literally said I don’t trust either the media or Trump. For the record I am not a Trump supporter either. I am a Trunp defender because of the continuous lies from the media which has lost all credibility. The whole “fine people” lie is a perfect example of that.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA

And he is right to an extent when it comes to competeting. Many immigrants coming from many regions continue to drive down salaries by lowballing contracts Becuse they have 3-5 families in a house and can afford to do that. Is it smart? Yes. I dont blame them. It It’s probably the only way to get ahead. But those people are preventing other people from getting jobs where they can make it liveable wage. That is a fact

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is started by saying it isn’t a rich mans sport and that you don’t have to be rich to play the sport. Then it took off from there. Byfield is a perfect example. His parents couldn’t afford it and they had help.
That's a perfectly valid point and I would respond by saying that anecdotal evidence doesn't change the overarching statistical pattern that it's easier to make it in hockey with pre-existing wealth, like it is with anything else.

That's exactly why there's a thread celebrating those who overcame it.

Also, acknowledging that people struggled doesn't mean it's *easy* for others, especially when we're talking about making it to the highest league in the world. We're all on this rock together, we all mostly want the same things, and it doesn't always have to be a competition. Competition is what we watch sports for and we should leave it there.

And then the thread gets derailed by people saying things that are just mean and nasty under the guise of politics and "that's just my opinion."

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And he is right to an extent when it comes to competeting. Many immigrants coming from many regions continue to drive down salaries by lowballing contracts Becuse they have 3-5 families in a house and can afford to do that. Is it smart? Yes. I dont blame them. It It’s probably the only way to get ahead. But those people are preventing other people from getting jobs where they can make it liveable wage. That is a fact
It's the business owners that are driving down salaries even as 2020 was the best year most companies ever had.

Don't fight over crumbs.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
That's a perfectly valid point and I would respond by saying that anecdotal evidence doesn't change the overarching statistical pattern that it's easier to make it in hockey with pre-existing wealth, like it is with anything else.

That's exactly why there's a thread celebrating those who overcame it.

Also, acknowledging that people struggled doesn't mean it's *easy* for others, especially when we're talking about making it to the highest league in the world. We're all on this rock together, we all mostly want the same things, and it doesn't always have to be a competition. Competition is what we watch sports for and we should leave it there.

And then the thread gets derailed by people saying things that are just mean and nasty under the guise of politics and "that's just my opinion."
It definitely is easier for wealthier people to make the NHL then someone who is poor. By a wide margin.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
It's the business owners that are driving down salaries even as 2020 was the best year most companies ever had.

Don't fight over crumbs.
It has been going on for years. Low balling contracts in construction and other industries preventing living wages for others Becuse they are paying 1/4 of a mortgage and not a whole mortgage.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It has been going on for years. Low balling contracts in construction and other industries preventing living wages for others Becuse they are paying 1/4 of a mortgage and not a whole mortgage.
Sounds like mortgages are too high and workers are getting low-balled. That means people have to live in large households, and believe me, it's not a choice. The banks and companies are screwing you, not other people just trying to make a living.

You mentioned competition. We don't have to compete with each other. The few people holding almost all of the world's wealth are creating that mindset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad