NHL players who have grew up with adversity?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Donald Brashear. From Wikipedia :

His father was an alcoholic who relentlessly abused his family, including slashing Donald with belts and electrical cords. On one occasion, when Donald was only six months old, he picked him up and hurled him through a window.[2] Nicole, afraid that Johnny might kill her, left the family and returned to Canada. Later, she came back to take the children, but left Donald to live with his father for another four years,[2] until Donald's paternal grandmother sent him to Canada.[3] Donald's mother later stated that she left him behind because her future husband was prejudiced and wanted to avoid having another mixed-race child in the house.[2]
Brashear eventually moved in with his mother and stepfather in Lorretteville, Quebec. Unfortunately, because of his stepfather's racist attitude, he suffered further abuse in his new surroundings; for instance, he was forced to sleep with a garbage bag tied around his waist to keep him from wetting the bed, and was verbally berated for not being able to tie his shoes.[2] His mother finally decided to give him up to foster care, due in part because of what she called "mental problems" from the abuse he had suffered, and because he did not accept her as his mother.[2] Brashear lived in two different foster homes that sent him away since the families believed he was a "little too much to handle."[3

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
I think adversity comes in all forms. It's not tied to money necessarily. Money just changes the forms of adversity people face. And each person handles it differently.
Good comment. Anyone whose ever been around the AAA scene knows how absolutely nuts these kids parents can be and the amount of pressure that gets put on them. I've seen it as young as 6-7 years old. It's borderline abuse. This kind of stuff happens all.the.time.

These comments in this thread about "hur dur white rich man sport no adversity hur dur" are inane.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Why are we trying to make this some sort of contest? Everyone experiences adversity.
Yeah. Just because you're rich, and white (not sure why so many people are bringing up race here, but apparently it's allowed in this case for some reason) doesn't mean you don't struggle through things.

Sure, maybe they didn't live in fear of getting shot up by a drive by or mugged outside of their homes, but there are many other struggles people can face. In the mind especially.

They all had to work hard and many struggled through cuts/rejection/being told they're not good enough to get to the best league in the world, too, I'm sure.

Reactions: HBK27

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Good comment. Anyone whose ever been around the AAA scene knows how absolutely nuts these kids parents can be and the amount of pressure that gets put on them. I've seen it as young as 6-7 years old. It's borderline abuse. This kind of stuff happens all.the.time.

These comments in this thread about "hur dur white rich man sport no adversity hur dur" are inane.

Yeah it's just not based in reality. Some of the most disturbed people I've met are wealthy. And some of the most down to earth people who are great people aren't wealthy at all. I'm sure vice versa is true. Adversity doesn't stop with a high bank account or skin color.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Some of the most disturbed people I've met are wealthy.

Yeah, growing up poor or relatively poor and you can have the greatest and most supporting parents ever. And conversely, growing up rich and you can have the most disturbed parents ever.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The most adversarial thing about Nikolishin's upbringing was the cold of Vorkuta, which is in the Arctic. Nikolishin and the other players had to play in -40, outside, and shovel snow off the ice before even beginning, not to mention not having any kind of zamboni or anything. Somehow he developed into a great player from that beginning.

I suspect the forced labor bit is misleading folks. Vorkuta wasn't a forced labor colony (gulag) anymore when Nikolishin was born, and hadn't been for almost two decades, since the mid 50s when the gulag system ended after Stalin died. His father was initially sent there as a prisoner but stayed for other reasons, perhaps because the pay was higher in the Arctic (yes people were paid varying salaries in the Soviet Union, not all the same amount as most Americans imagine).

The camp was closed in the early 1960s, after Stalin died there was a major riot in Vorkuta, but it was suppressed by force. Most former inmates that stayed in Vorkuta after their release stayed because they couldn't go anywhere else, after imprisonment they were social outcasts and had no financial means. Many like Nikolishin's dad were also legally forbidden from leaving for 25 years, this kind of forced exile continued until the 1980s, long after Vorkuta had been converted into a city. Today the place is available in Google Street View for those that want to make a trip they otherwise never would.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
This is anecdotal so take this as you will. In my line of work I talk to all types of people and families. I've noticed the wealthier families there are the more disfunction there is within the family. Drug abuse, power struggles, expectations, a ton of mental abuse from people who hold the wealth onto their children. The more wealthy I've noticed the more and more disfunctional the family is. The more poor a family is the closer the families are in my experience because they have to rely on one another for their own well being which in my opinion creates a bond.

I think living in a poor area is physically dangerous because of the area you're in. The wealthier you are the more you're under the spotlight and deal with immense stress from disfunction in family. A lot of abandonment...

I think adversity comes in all forms. It's not tied to money necessarily. Money just changes the forms of adversity people face. And each person handles it differently.

Money doesn't stop you from facing adversity at all. Like the only thing I can think of is that living in a richer area your neighborhood is more safe. That's about it.
I'd take the "problems" coming with money much, much rather than the ones coming from poverty.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Hockey is way too expensive so people who grow up poor/in a rough environment can't even start to play on ice let alone make the NHL.

For exemple in Quebec (and I'm sure most other areas as well) most elite players come from the suburbs or rural areas. Reason is because families settled there have money to buy a house, cars, hockey equipment, playing fees, etc. In the city is a lot of students and immigrants and families leaving in small appartments so no one can play hockey.

The players who make the NHL from Montreal are mainly from the West Island where there are families with money (Lac St.Louis region)

Perron, Huberdeau, Drouin, Bergeron, Letang, Brassard, Fleury, Marchessault, Mantha, Danault, Gourde, Dubois, etc all raised in suburbs or rural areas.

Only two I can think of (active players) who are from Montreal are Vlasic and Duclair and they are both from West Island region.

Even QMJHL is filled with players from outside Montreal even though 1/4 population lives in that city. The Midget AAA team from Montreal and Laval is usually average at best even though these are the 2 biggest regions in Quebec

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
This is anecdotal so take this as you will. In my line of work I talk to all types of people and families. I've noticed the wealthier families there are the more disfunction there is within the family. Drug abuse, power struggles, expectations, a ton of mental abuse from people who hold the wealth onto their children. The more wealthy I've noticed the more and more disfunctional the family is. The more poor a family is the closer the families are in my experience because they have to rely on one another for their own well being which in my opinion creates a bond.

I think living in a poor area is physically dangerous because of the area you're in. The wealthier you are the more you're under the spotlight and deal with immense stress from disfunction in family. A lot of abandonment...

Money doesn't stop you from facing adversity at all. Like the only thing I can think of is that living in a richer area your neighborhood is more safe. That's about it.

Bolded smells strongly like confirmation bias imo. What about all the single parents, children of alcoholics/druggies, children of parents with health issues(mental and physical) who can't find work, etc etc. Messy divorces happen at every economic status...

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'd take the "problems" coming with money much, much rather than the ones coming from poverty.

Yes, if given the choice people would rather grow up with money.

That being said, there's a lot of people in here acting like money solves everything and that kids growing up in that environment don't face any adversity or for some have really miserable childhoods. Maybe it's less likely to happen, but it sure as hell still happens.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Tim Thomas' parents sold their wedding rings so they could afford to send him to hockey camp.

David Pastrnak's dad died when he was a very young age and his mother had to work multiple jobs to make ends meet

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I'd contribute a few names to this list, but I don't see why it's anybody's business.

I don't think it's people looking for family secrets. I thought the vibe of the thread was to mention players who overcame a shitty situation to become a successful hockey player.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
What pisses me off is that there are several comments in this thread calling it a "rich white kid sport". So we are allowed to now be racist on this board?

What if we called Basketball a "poor (blank) kid sport" or soccer a "poor (blank) kid sport).

Should not be allowed either way.

Adversity is different for everyone.....I grew up playing with Travis Zajac, he came from a well-off family, but I have never seen anyone else work as hard as he did towards a goal. He skipped out on a lot of social events and put a lot of hours in at the gym etc. Might not be typical adversity, but he knew what he had to do if he wanted to make it.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
They unfortunately didn't make the NHL, but Dalton and Josh Thrower.

I believe Michael Ryder could have ended up like his brother, Dan, who might still be in jail.

I believe it was Burmistrov who wrote Datsyuk asking for equipment(or money to buy it) because his family was so poor.

I always get confused somehow, but Redden, or Phillips didn't have it easy growing up.

Bobby Stevenson

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
I think Curtis Joseph had hard times growing up too, but don't remember his exact story..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad