News: NHL players to KHL in 2018 offseason

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Yakapov, worst #1 in history. Maybe he will come back later on though. All the best to him

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He never really adjusted to NHL play or systems. He played well for short spurts when the coaches let him loose, but he always struggled when asked to play a system based game. I loved Yak's enthusiasm and his skill set, it just seemed that he never fit in with an NHL team, both in terms of his personality, and his on ice playing style. I hope he lights up the KHL. Hopefully he gets a chance to regain some confidence. To hell with Dallas Eakins for stripping him of it. He never did recover that swagger he had when he entered the league.
It is hard to predict what happens. SKA is a complicated animal. Whether or not he will get time and coach's trust is completely in the stars.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's true though. Three different NHL teams, dozens of elite, professional players.

You could see it in Edmonton, players didn't want to pass the puck to him because he'd cough it up, execute a tight turn throwing linemates off or offside, or take a dumb shot. He is unpredictable.
He was quite predictable at WJC or in the KHL. Maybe it's not completely on him. I am not saying he is a legit 1OA, but he should have tried a change to the KHL long ago.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I hope Yakupov can salvage his career in Russia. He’s a well liked guy in the locker room and works his ass off. He just wasn’t quite good enough for the NHL. Maybe in the KHL his speed and natural talent will be enough to overcome his hockey IQ.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Guy had success when he played in the KHL the first time around. Essentially if he was there the whole year would've lead the team in goals by a longshot. As it is he had 10 in 22 games team leaders were 14 in 44/52 gp.

Could just be him going back home to gain his confidence back. He will also be in a league that finishing a month and half earlier than the NHL. Could give himself a chance to really find a skills coach and work on his flaws before coming back for the 19-20 season.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
It says a lot about a guy who is one of the biggest draft busts of all time, that just about every fan of a team he has played for still wishes him the best, you could never say it was lack of effort, man that guy tried and tried. I hope he does great there and is a top player in the KHL.

My coach once told me, you could work hard doing the wrong things in life. Yakupov was a definition of that.
He worked hard, skated hard but making life more difficult for him

Mogily once eluded to the fact that once he learned to slow down, he became a complete player.

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It says a lot about a guy who is one of the biggest draft busts of all time, that just about every fan of a team he has played for still wishes him the best, you could never say it was lack of effort, man that guy tried and tried. I hope he does great there and is a top player in the KHL.
Hard to hate a guy that buys a homeless man dinner and pays for a hotel room for the guy as well.

Blackmon

Mullet
Jun 23, 2018
Cambridge Bay, NU
Really rooting for Yakupov to put things together. He was loved in the community here in Edmonton. My wife worked at Sportchek during his time here, and they would do the “Shop With A Pro” day for underprivileged kids every year. There were a few guys she said were just unpleasant, and not great with the kids. Yakupov wasn’t one of them. Despite his poor English, he was always really great and friendly with the kids. He used to go in there outside of that event too, just to shop for himself, and never acted like he was any more special than any other shopper. He was happy to chat with staff and sign autographs for them. The only other customer she said they regularly had like that was Edmonton Eskimos legend Gizmo Williams.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I wish you the best nail. hopefully you come back to the nhl in a few years and prove the doubters wrong!

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Hope he finds success in KHL and maybe a second chance here down the road.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Who was worse Yakupov or Daigle ? Daigle played in a higher scoring era & Daigle boasted at the draft about being #1 & not #2 like Pronger.......& things worked out quite well for Pronger in 2007.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So, just to make a single cute list:

Alex Grant ---> Jokerit
Kristers Gudlevskis ---> Dinamo Riga
Anton Slepyshev ---> CSKA
Iiro Pakarinen ---> Metallurg
Patrice Cormier ---> Barys
Viktor Antipin ---> Metallurg
Marek Hrivik ---> Vityaz
Miro Aaltonen ---> Vityaz
Beau Bennett ---> Dinamo Minsk
Andrey Pedan ---> Ak Bars
Nikolai Kulemin ---> Metallurg
Curtis Valk ---> Barys
Nail Yakupov ---> SKA
Yohann Auvitu ---> Sochi
David Desharnais ---> Lokomotiv

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Patrick Wiercioch signed with Dinamo Minsk.

Alex Grant ---> Jokerit
Kristers Gudlevskis ---> Dinamo Riga
Anton Slepyshev ---> CSKA
Iiro Pakarinen ---> Metallurg
Patrice Cormier ---> Barys
Viktor Antipin ---> Metallurg
Marek Hrivik ---> Vityaz
Miro Aaltonen ---> Vityaz
Beau Bennett ---> Dinamo Minsk
Andrey Pedan ---> Ak Bars
Nikolai Kulemin ---> Metallurg
Curtis Valk ---> Barys