NHL Players Tiers v1.0

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Good effort but there are some oversights. Tarasenko obviously does not belong in the top tier, especially looking at this season. Kopitar ahead of Barkov/Giroux/Backstrom/Tavares/Kuzy/etc. also doesn't make much sense. And having Nino Niederreiter ahead of players like Boeser (and now Meier as well)? Yikes.

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
Good effort but there are some oversights. Tarasenko obviously does not belong in the top tier, especially looking at this season. Kopitar ahead of Barkov/Giroux/Backstrom/Tavares/Kuzy/etc. also doesn't make much sense. And having Nino Niederreiter ahead of players like Boeser (and now Meier as well)? Yikes.

Love the user image bro! Not too many have heard of them.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Selyanin

#StammerTime
May 2, 2014
The North
How are San Jose even a playoff team? They have 2 wingers low on the list, 1 good d-man and 1 middle of the list. No centers. Just curious?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't think it is unreasonable to label Ovechkin as the fourth best left winger currently. Here is some transitional metrics comparing the players ahead of him. Personally, I can see the argument for him above of Benn, however, I personally valued Benn higher than Ovechkin.

View attachment 158459
View attachment 158461

I put little merit to all these new advanced stats, that somehow mean more than actual goals and assists. If a guy generates 30 shots per 60 and is on for only 15 against, but doesn't score hardly any points, than who cares. I will take a guy who is reverse of that, but actually scores points and goals a lot every day of the weak. To me all these new stats were invented by those wanting to disparage the results of players who played in earlier eras. Not one of these new stats makes the game any more enjoyable to watch, or appreciate, and is part of over analytics which actually take joy away from things. All these stats seem to do, is bring down the players of the past, and prop up the players of the present, which is disingenuous to me.

Nowadays we are all sitting there micro analyzing each and every mistake a player makes and passing judgement on whether they suck or not. Instead of realizing that this is a game, one that is supposed to be fun to watch, and realizing that this game is played on ice at high speed, and everyone is going to turn the puck over, and everyone is going to make bad plays, it is called hockey or competition.

I like Taylor Hall a lot and much more than Ovechkin, but I am sorry he is not better than Ovechkin. Goals and Points speak volumes to this, and while Hall was unreal good last year, he is still not better than Ovechkin. Panarin is a great producer and a lot of fun to watch, but he too, doesn't have the real stats, G and A, that matter.

Reactions: Benedict Kovalchuk

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Actually upon looking at data via Hockeyviz.com, it looks like last year Bailey played majority LW and Lee played majority RW. Here's the link: NYI 1718 F Lines
Dunno what to tell you, but that website is very, very wrong. Lee has played exclusively LW for virtually his entire pro career, and Bailey has played RW for many years. Used to alternate, but it has been a long time since he's done that. I watched the vast majority last year, saw it all. Can probably still find the lines on twitter if you look hard enough

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
The first rule of any statistics -> reality check. As long as Ovechkin holding Richard no one would take this list seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
His 5v5 scoring rate in that span is about 2/3 of Matt Duchene and Yanni Gourde’s. And his possession numbers in that span have fallen from great to slightly above average.
Silly guy must think power play points actually matter. Smart people like you and I know they have zero impact on the game and should be disregarded-at least if that supports your hot take!

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I can assure you Eichel is not a mere tier 1 C compared to Skinner being a superstar B....he drives the offense of the Sabres so much more than Skinner.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There's 145 players here. Alex Tuch is one of the 57 players at a point per game or higher but is not here.

Come on, bud.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
The first rule of any statistics -> reality check. As long as Ovechkin holding Richard no one would take this list seriously.

His argument is that 5v5 is all that matters. That's what happens when stat watchers give up on common sense and ignore the fact that Ovi's PP superpowers is a huge factor to Washington's success (among other things)

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
List is made up on a combination of tangible stats (goals, assists, etc.) as well as underlying metrics (CF%, rel CF%, xGF%, etc.)

I think that generally it comes down to personal preference with the order of the players within categories. We can go back and forth on Taylor Hall and his contributions compared to the likes of Artemi Panarin and Alex Ovechkin.

To give insight on Nino Niederreiter, he is a top-six caliber winger in terms of scoring efficiency (1.92 P/60 since 2016). He also sports a 54.07 CF%, 6.99 rel CF%, 56.92 xGF%, and 3.85 rel xGF%.
If that is why you have Nino there, I fail to see how Gallagher isn't there either.

At 5v5 (since 16-17), he has 1.9 P/60, 55.56 CF%, 5.35 CF%, 52.05 GF%, 2.5% rel GF%, 56.53 xGF% and 5.49 rel xGF%. I'm not a fan of using xGF for evaluating the past, and tend to prefer it to evaluate the future, and know that his GF is under Nino's. But, at the same time, Gallagher's game impact is significantly higher than Nino's (2.28 WAR/82 vs 1.38 WAR/82). I know this WAR metric is still far from perfect, but it can be telling.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
I guessing defense plays a much bigger factor in this list than goals and assist. I figure if your driving play and controling play with possession they advanced metrics reward that.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Feels odd that Cam Atkinson isn't even on the list. He has been a pretty consistent goal scorer the last couple years and to me should be in the 1A or 1B list.

Yeah right eh? Werenski middle sheet, Seth Jones 4th.. no CBJ offense in the top 175 players... yet we are 17-2-5 in the last 1/3 of season, we must just have superior goal tending. It really doesn't matter if our guys are not on your stat sheet the Blue Jackets seem to be doing something right. The only ex - jacket ranked is Wild Bill Karlson & clearly not protecting him was a huge mistake. Oh yeah, just figured this out..its not players or Goalies.. you guys are recognizing that mad genius John Torts.. ha ha ha. Love it.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Yeah right eh? Werenski middle sheet, Seth Jones 4th.. no CBJ offense in the top 175 players... yet we are 17-2-5 in the last 1/3 of season, we must just have superior goal tending. It really doesn't matter if our guys are not on your stat sheet the Blue Jackets seem to be doing something right. The only ex - jacket ranked is Wild Bill Karlson & clearly not protecting him was a huge mistake. Oh yeah, just figured this out..its not players or Goalies.. you guys are recognizing that mad genius John Torts.. ha ha ha. Love it.
wtf? This thread is two seasons old. How is it relevant to the current season? Why did you even search through the forums to find this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad