NHL Players Tiers v1.0

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
I didn't really analyze it, but as soon as I saw Tarasenko ahead of like Kane, Laine, Rantanen, and Pasta I was like "I'm done here."
I'd like to hear your case for those players ahead of Tarasenko. I'll admit that Kane should be included in the "elite" tier.

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
Why is Couturier ahead of Seguin?

Dashboard 1 (6).png

Here's one example of why I'd have Couturier over Seguin. Great production with more DZ Starts.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I don't necessarily agree that Bergeron is a class below Marchand for their respective positions. Bergeron should be upgraded. Also disagree that Kopi is a tier above Bergeron.

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
that site is wrong, I've watched every game they've played or close to it. How many have you watched?
The site is never wrong. It's a bot that tracks all the data for Micah (the owner). He also tracks TOI and other such data for each team.

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
lol, sure chief.

How about you check with other people that have watched them play, or you can insist you're site is correct and be 100% wrong....
If you'd like for me to confirm the data with him, I'll gladly reach out to him on Twitter. The NHL roster via NHL.com isn't 100% accurate. For example, they list Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier as both centers. Yet they have played 307.49 5v5 TOI together this season. That's 90.27% of Couturiers 5v5 TOI w/ Giroux and 91% of Giroux's time with Couturier. Someone isn't playing center and is playing the wing.

Like I said, I'll gladly reach out to him to see what's up with NSH.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
If you'd like for me to confirm the data with him, I'll gladly reach out to him on Twitter. The NHL roster via NHL.com isn't 100% accurate. For example, they list Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier as both centers. Yet they have played 307.49 5v5 TOI together this season. That's 90.27% of Couturiers 5v5 TOI w/ Giroux and 91% of Giroux's time with Couturier. Someone isn't playing center and is playing the wing.

Like I said, I'll gladly reach out to him to see what's up with NSH.
Seems more like a flawed system he uses

Looked at Avs one, and it has Landeskog as a center for three entire games. When in reality, he never plays it. He just takes face offs sometimes.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I'm basing some of it off of 2018, but from sharing this with others, the recency bias hits hard when discussing placement of players who are performing well in 2018 . Marner and Nylander are both good in their respective sides. Personally, I'd rather have Nylander over Marner, but I can see the case for either or.

Reilly is listed.

*Rielly, not Reilly.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
I don't necessarily agree that Bergeron is a class below Marchand for their respective positions. Bergeron should be upgraded. Also disagree that Kopi is a tier above Bergeron.

Any data driven model is always going to underrate defensive players. It's a very hard skill to quantify.

Reactions: compan

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Any data driven model is always going to underrate defensive players. It's a very hard skill to quantify.
It’s not even a data driven model. It’s just some guy looking at data over a couple years and deciding what he thinks is important in arbitrary cases

Reactions: Freeeeedom

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
It’s not even a data driven model. It’s just some guy looking at data over a couple years and deciding what he thinks is important in arbitrary cases

Oh I thought I read in one of his replies where he said it was a model. That definitely makes less sense then.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I know it's early, but I can't help but feel that Thomas Chabot is light years ahead of players like Nick Leddy and TJ Brodie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad