NHL Players Tiers v1.0

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
I think Ehlers is too high, and Kyle Connor is too low. There's a good case to be made that Connor is now a better player than Ehlers (and definitely not two tiers below him). I also think Granlund is too low.

Neat list overall though, good work!

Reactions: phillyjabroni

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
His numbers this year are pretty solid in terms of puck possession, looks like he is first on the team. However, simply being the best on one's team does not mean you automatically are one of the best at your position. Faceoffs have minimal impact on game results on a macro level.
I'm essentially telling you as a fan of the team with the MOST points in the NHL that you could say ryan johansen has been our BEST player. he has the best possession numbers (driving play), great at faceoffs (on the ice to win big draws), kills penalties, is near a point per game.

it seems silly to dismiss what i am telling you as non important. it matters in the standings it seems. your ratings, while high in effort and i commend you for that, seem to not really matter in the game that is played on the ice.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Not just this season. Basically an evaluation of their play since 2016.

Including playoffs?

I just don't see how anyone takes another LW over Ovechkin. Won the Rocket 5 of the past 6 seasons (I realize your criteria doesn't reach back that far - but that is a problem for evaluating a 3 time MVP and 2 time Hart Finalist). Won Conn Smythe. Attracts tons of attention on the PP.

Also I do not know how Orlov is so high. He is very good but is paired with Niskanen - which helps a lot. I look at some of the guys in his block and he doesn't belong IMO.

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
I'm essentially telling you as a fan of the team with the MOST points in the NHL that you could say ryan johansen has been our BEST player. he has the best possession numbers (driving play), great at faceoffs (on the ice to win big draws), kills penalties, is near a point per game.

it seems silly to dismiss what i am telling you as non important. it matters in the standings it seems. your ratings, while high in effort and i commend you for that, seem to not really matter in the game that is played on the ice.

I affirmed the possession play as being solid. He leads the team in rel CF%. I value that, however, over the past three years or so, I don't think those numbers compensate for him being placed within the top-29. Faceoffs have little impact on the game on a macro level. Meaning, who wins a faceoff isn't correlated with scoring a goal in the long run. Points are not the only thing considered here.

He is currently 4th on NSH in Penalty Kill TOI this season.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
4th in PK TOI is pretty high for a #1 C as he is for the preds. that should definitely be a notch or 2 for his case.

there is no way he isn't top 30 this season. if you want to go back a few seasons, sure to each their own.

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
Including playoffs?

I just don't see how anyone takes another LW over Ovechkin. Won the Rocket 5 of the past 6 seasons (I realize your criteria doesn't reach back that far - but that is a problem for evaluating a 3 time MVP and 2 time Hart Finalist). Won Conn Smythe. Attracts tons of attention on the PP.

Also I do not know how Orlov is so high. He is very good but is paired with Niskanen - which helps a lot. I look at some of the guys in his block and he doesn't belong IMO.

I threw some graphs about this a page or so back. Playoffs aren't a big enough sample size to drastically change a player's positioning in the tiers.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
This is just a bad bad list. it's not 2018 at all.

MacKinnon the hart trophy finalist is elite no doubt
Rantanen the points leader is elite no doubt. He has 122 points in last 104 games.
AND Laine the goal leader now and since he came into the league he has the most goals per game too. He is elite not even a question.

And then you have Tarasenko, Benn, Panarin etc ahead of them? What xD

Btw I think Barkov, Matthews and Bergeron are too elite.

Reactions: gtrower

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
This is just a bad bad list. it's not 2018 at all.

MacKinnon the hart trophy finalist is elite no doubt
Rantanen the points leader is elite no doubt. He has 122 points in last 104 games.
AND Laine the goal leader now and since he came into the league he has the most goals per game too. He is elite not even a question.

And then you have Tarasenko, Benn, Panarin etc ahead of them? What xD

Btw I think Barkov, Matthews and Bergeron are too elite.

Awards that are voted on by beats mean nothing to me. Sure, we can throw all those guys into the "elite" category. In doing so, we inflate the meaning of the word elite.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
This list...just yikes. Too many problems to work through, but using metrics to make an argument for Ovi being the 4th best LW is a great example of misuse of metrics.

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
Metrics that make an argument for Ovi being the 4th best LW are a great example of misuse of metrics.
How so? I posted some graphs on some underlying metrics that strongly support the case that Ovechkin isn't in the top-2 of left wingers.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
FWIW, Aho converted to center this year, and Teravainen plays on the right. Also, any Canes fan will tell you that Slavin is in a higher tier than Hamilton.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
I'm not completely sold on Rantanen yet. Maybe at the end of the year we can analyze his play. He currently has a PDO of 106.71, so I would hold off before clamoring for his rank. I can see the argument for Granlund in a higher tier.

If we double Tarasenkos numbers, he is STILL behind Rantanen.

You rank Tarasenko TWO whole tiers above him.

YES You are disqualified :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MrThomas

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
How so? I posted some graphs on some underlying metrics that strongly support the case that Ovechkin isn't in the top-2 of left wingers.

I could put together a metric sheet that makes Beagle look better than McDavid. And that would also be a misuse of metrics.

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
FWIW, Aho converted to center this year, and Teravainen plays on the right. Also, any Canes fan will tell you that Slavin is in a higher tier than Hamilton.
Teravainen does play right. The source I used had him at both I think. Aho played the majority left wing so I kept him there.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Nice job on the graph! And good on you for backing all this up.

On the OV/Benn debate- Benn is much better than OV at getting into fights to "fire up" his team when they're trailing, while coincidentally taking their best goal-scorer off the ice for 5 minutes.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This isn't terrible if it's based on 2016-2017. It seems you put a lot of work into it.

If you're considering 2018 there's a lot that needs to be changed.

Marner is not in the same tier as Nylander.

Taresenko is really way to high. Rantanen is way ahead of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillyjabroni

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
I could put together a metric sheet that makes Beagle look better than McDavid. And that would also be a misuse of metrics.
PlayerSeasonGP/60CF%Rel CF%xGF%Rel xGF%ixGFiSh%PDOZSRTOI% QoTTOI% QoC
ALEX.OVECHKIN2016-2019512.2849.790.3648.910.3242.0311.02102.4458.2230.8729.62
ARTEMI.PANARIN2016-2019352.3155.186.5150.980.5628.6610.54102.3470.6631.4129.57
JAMIE.BENN2016-2019392.1550.130.0651.01-0.4129.111.93101.7849.8731.3429.74
TAYLOR.HALL2016-201933252.035.1754.546.8241.267.78100.9652.9929.8529.46
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
These are mostly the stats I used to make my comparisons + the transitional entries. I can see the argument for Ovechkin ahead of Benn (I'll concede), but I find it hard to throw him ahead of Hall and Panarin.

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
This isn't terrible if it's based on 2016-2017. It seems you put a lot of work into it.

If you're considering 2018 there's a lot that needs to be changed.

Marner is not in the same tier as Nylander.
I'm basing some of it off of 2018, but from sharing this with others, the recency bias hits hard when discussing placement of players who are performing well in 2018 . Marner and Nylander are both good in their respective sides. Personally, I'd rather have Nylander over Marner, but I can see the case for either or.

Reilly is listed.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'm basing some of it off of 2018, but from sharing this with others, the recency bias hits hard when discussing placement of players who are performing well in 2018 . Marner and Nylander are both good in their respective sides. Personally, I'd rather have Nylander over Marner, but I can see the case for either or.

Reilly is listed.

Nylander is a 6.5 million dollar player, Marner is approaching 9.0-10 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->