NHL Players Tiers v1.0

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Jamie Benn is wayyy too high. On no list should he be above Ovi and several others that are below him

Also Niederreiter and Tarasenko are wayyy too high as well

What was the chart order mostly based on? Feels like I'm really missing something here lol

Orlov and Klefbom as well weirdly very high

Last edited:
Reactions: strongisland

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Rasmus Ristolainen isn't even close to the same tier as McAvoy, that much I know for sure.

Interesting list though, I like a lot of it, good thought process you put in to it.

Reactions: HavocWreaker

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
Jamie Benn is wayyy too high. On no list should he be above Ovi

Also Niederreiter is way too high as well

What was the chart order mostly based on?
List is made up on a combination of tangible stats (goals, assists, etc.) as well as underlying metrics (CF%, rel CF%, xGF%, etc.)

I think that generally it comes down to personal preference with the order of the players within categories. We can go back and forth on Taylor Hall and his contributions compared to the likes of Artemi Panarin and Alex Ovechkin.

To give insight on Nino Niederreiter, he is a top-six caliber winger in terms of scoring efficiency (1.92 P/60 since 2016). He also sports a 54.07 CF%, 6.99 rel CF%, 56.92 xGF%, and 3.85 rel xGF%.

Reactions: Steerpike

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Couturier should be in the red tier.
Getzlaf should be in at least the red tier, maybe the green one.
I'm not sure exactly how to fix this one, but there's no way Eberle is in the same tier as Bailey/Lee.
Leddy should be in the teal(?) tier

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
List is made up on a combination of tangible stats (goals, assists, etc.) as well as underlying metrics (CF%, rel CF%, xGF%, etc.)

I think that generally it comes down to personal preference with the order of the players within categories. We can go back and forth on Taylor Hall and his contributions compared to the likes of Artemi Panarin and Alex Ovechkin.

To give insight on Nino Niederreiter, he is a top-six caliber winger in terms of scoring efficiency (1.92 P/60 since 2016). He also sports a 54.07 CF%, 6.99 rel CF%, 56.92 xGF%, and 3.85 rel xGF%.

As a Stars fan, whatever Benn's stats say does not represent his play at all, and he is certainly not playing like a top end left winger right now. Is this including their careers or is it just this season?

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
As a Stars fan, whatever Benn's stats say does not represent his play at all, and he is certainly not playing like a top end left winger right now. Is this including their careers or is it just this season?

Not just this season. Basically an evaluation of their play since 2016.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
as expected on most lists Stamkos is very overrated

uhm Couturier ahead of Barzal Point...?

Reactions: Rasmi

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
What is this based on? How in the world is Tarasenko ranked higher than Pastrnak, Rantanen, Kane and Laine? That was just the glaring column. Just curious?

I personally valued the sustainable success that Tarasenko has had during his playing time. All of the data I use is only from 5v5 since that is the only time that I think is valuable when assessing a player in their caliber. I can see the argument for Kane being ahead of him, but I just think that at this point and time, it's too early to throw Pastrnak, Rantanen, or Laine above him. Maybe at the end of the season we will get a bigger picture of how this all shakes out.

Reactions: nofehr

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
as expected on most lists Stamkos is very overrated uhm Couturier ahead of Barzal Point...?

The sustainable play of Couturier at 5v5 is what has him ahead of those players. Prior to last season, Couturier played about 31% of his career 5v5 TOI with Matt Read - not exactly a scorer. While Couturier may jut start getting tangible points, he has carried every line he has played on in his career and has been a great defensive asset for his club. Barzal and Point are still relatively new to the league so placing either ahead of Couturier may be the result of the recency bias.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
As an Isles fan:

Leddy is a tier too high.
Bailey is a RW these days and has been for a while now. Also should be a tier higher, along with Radulov.
I'd rank Lee a tier higher.
Barzal and Eberle are about right.
And Ovi should be #1 LW.

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
Niederreiter above Granlund is absurd. Since his move to wing at the start of the 2016-17 season, Granlund has pretty much gone point-for-point with Tarasenko.

Niederreiter's play driving is what has him ahead of Granlund. Much better possession numbers in that same time period relative to Granlund.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Jamie Benn is wayyy too high. On no list should he be above Ovi and several others that are below him

Also Niederreiter and Tarasenko are wayyy too high as well

What was the chart order mostly based on? Feels like I'm really missing something here lol

Orlov and Klefbom as well weirdly very high

Can you explain the methodology used

phillyjabroni

Nov 24, 2018
Ovechkin is the 4th best LW, that is pretty funny!
I don't think it is unreasonable to label Ovechkin as the fourth best left winger currently. Here is some transitional metrics comparing the players ahead of him. Personally, I can see the argument for him above of Benn, however, I personally valued Benn higher than Ovechkin.

Comparison Dashboard (3).png

Comparison Dashboard (4).png

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
what has matthews done to be ahead of backstrom, tavares,giroux etc? id move him to that teir(for now atleast, he hasnt really dont anything to be considered separated from that pack)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad