NHL players of Yugoslavian descent

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
from wiki..
Hockey

* Frank Mahovlich - NHL Hall of Famer (1958 Calder Trophy Winner)
* Peter Mahovlich - Fmr. NHL player, nr. 2 in 1963 NHL Amateur Draft
* Joe Sakic - NHL player (2001 Hart Memorial Trophy Winner)
* John Kordic - Fmr. NHL player
* Dan Kordic - Fmr. NHL player
* Mark Pavelich - Fmr. NHL player (Miracle on Ice)
* Matt Pavelich - first NHL linesman inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame
* Marty Pavelich - Fmr. NHL player
* Cory Sarich - NHL player
* Adrien Plavsic - ([Serb] father, [Croat] mother) Fmr. NHL player
* Tony Hrkac - Fmr. NHL player
* Joel Prpic - Hockey player (brief appearance in the NHL)
* Rob Valicevic - NHL player
* David Spanjol - WPHA play

Last edited:

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
I heard Vlasic was part Croatian.

I always thought Jovanovski was Macedonian, but apparently he considers himself Croatian, or at least part Croatian (I know someone who used to baby-sit his kids when he played in Vancouver).

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I heard Vlasic was part Croatian.

I always thought Jovanovski was Macedonian, but apparently he considers himself Croatian, or at least part Croatian (I know someone who used to baby-sit his kids when he played in Vancouver).

This is 100% false because I played hockey and went to school with a number of his cousins (He is from the windsor area) and he is Serbian.

Reactions: Red

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
This is 100% false because I played hockey and went to school with a number of his cousins (He is from the windsor area) and he is Serbian.

It is possible that his cousins are Serbian and he is not. I am Croatian, but have Serbian cousins (my first cousins are even half-Serbian).

Again, I always thought he was Macedonian or even Serbian, but a family friend of mine who used to babysit his kids said that Ed himself considered himself at least part Croatian (I think she said on his mother's side, but not sure). He could be a mix of Macedonian, Croatian, and Serbian for all I know. I'm just passing on what I heard; never met him personally.

As for Dragan Kesa, wikipedia says he's actually Lucic's uncle.

Last edited:

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
It is possible that his cousins are Serbian and he is not. I am Croatian, but have Serbian cousins (my first cousins are even half-Serbian).

Again, I always thought he was Macedonian or even Serbian, but a family friend of mine who used to babysit his kids said that Ed himself considered himself at least part Croatian (I think she said on his mother's side, but not sure). He could be a mix of Macedonian, Croatian, and Serbian for all I know. I'm just passing on what I heard; never met him personally.

As for Dragan Kesa, wikipedia says he's actually Lucic's uncle.
Vlasic is definitely of Croatian descent.

However, Ed Jovanovski has nothing to with Croatia. Milan Lucic is Serbian, something I can tell you as a fact even from personal knowledge. What are some other Serbian NHLers? I guess there is Milan Lucic, Sasha Lakovic, Stan Smrke, Ivan Boldirev, Branko Radivojevic, Mike Glumac, Dan Kesa, Mark Popovic, Peter Zezel. There is probably more but I cannot think of them at the moment.

I was also wondering if there are any other players from the former Yugoslavia. I am pretty sure Matt Stajan is Slovenian.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
How about Mark Fistric, Mark Popovic, Alex Petrovic (2010 eligible), and Luke Gazdic. To be honest I don't know the difference between Serbian and Croatian.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
How about Mark Fistric, Mark Popovic, Alex Petrovic (2010 eligible), and Luke Gazdic. To be honest I don't know the difference between Serbian and Croatian.
Mark Popovic - Serbian (mentionned him in the previous post)
Alex Petrovic - Serbian
Luke Gazdic - Croatian
Mark Fistric - Croatian

To this list we can add Phil Oreskovic who is also Serbian.

There is a distinct different between Serbian and Croatian surnames, but sometimes it is very hard to differentiate as a few Croats lived or still live on the territory of Serbia while several hundreds of thousands of Serbs lived on the territory of Croatia, and some still do. Therefore, there has been a lot of ethnic mixing between the two peoples and we have had examples of a proud Croatian such as Drazen Petrovic (former NBA Legend) wearing a typically Serbian surname (Petrovic) yet being or considering himself of Croatian ethniciy. Similarly, there is a football/soccer player called Antonio Rukavina on the Serbian national team, while this is a typically Croatian surname (and given name as well). There is a player called Ante Rukavina on the Croatian national team. So, as you can see, the differences are distinct but because of the mixing, it is often very hard to say. The vast majority of surnames will either be Croatian or Serbian, but some of them can be used for both.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Vlasic is definitely of Croatian descent.

However, Ed Jovanovski has nothing to with Croatia. Milan Lucic is Serbian, something I can tell you as a fact even from personal knowledge. What are some other Serbian NHLers? I guess there is Milan Lucic, Sasha Lakovic, Stan Smrke, Ivan Boldirev, Branko Radivojevic, Mike Glumac, Dan Kesa, Mark Popovic, Peter Zezel. There is probably more but I cannot think of them at the moment.

I was also wondering if there are any other players from the former Yugoslavia. I am pretty sure Matt Stajan is Slovenian.

Wikipedia and other sources say Stajan is Slovenian, though I remember an interview a fews years ago where Stajan's mother said he was Croatian. I'll try and find out if his mother is Slovenian or just the father.

Other Slovenians include Anze Kopitar, Wade Belak, Bill Hajt, Chris Hajt, John Jakopin, Ed Kastelic, Greg Kuznik, Dean Malkoc, Stan Smrke, and Randy Velischek.

I think Stamkos is Macedonian.

Also, he has yet to play in the NHL, but St. Louis prospect Nicholas Drazenovic is Croatian.

Mark Popovic - Serbian (mentionned him in the previous post)
Alex Petrovic - Serbian
Luke Gazdic - Croatian
Mark Fistric - Croatian

To this list we can add Phil Oreskovic who is also Serbian.

There is a distinct different between Serbian and Croatian surnames, but sometimes it is very hard to differentiate as a few Croats lived or still live on the territory of Serbia while several hundreds of thousands of Serbs lived on the territory of Croatia, and some still do. Therefore, there has been a lot of ethnic mixing between the two peoples and we have had examples of a proud Croatian such as Drazen Petrovic (former NBA Legend) wearing a typically Serbian surname (Petrovic) yet being or considering himself of Croatian ethniciy. Similarly, there is a football/soccer player called Antonio Rukavina on the Serbian national team, while this is a typically Croatian surname (and given name as well). There is a player called Ante Rukavina on the Croatian national team. So, as you can see, the differences are distinct but because of the mixing, it is often very hard to say. The vast majority of surnames will either be Croatian or Serbian, but some of them can be used for both.

I had heard Fistric was Serbian, but you may very well be right.

Yes, the line between Croatian and Serbian is often more blurred than many would like to admit. Many people have both Croatian and Serbian relatives or where born in the other country. For example, Dado Prso (Croatian national soccer player) and Nikola Tesla are/were both ethnically Serbian, but were both born in Croatia, so they identify with both groups. Also, by tradition (in many places) a slavic child usually takes the ethnicity of the father, even if the mother is something different.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
There is a distinct different between Serbian and Croatian surnames

Hm... It's not that simple anymore.

Maybe between people living abroad for dozens of years, but here, it's gotten so mixed up you can't really tell people by their last names anymore.

Yes, some surnames are Serbian and some are Croatian.
But it's not a guarantee it's not a Serbian with a Croatian name or vice-versa after all the mixing.

The other thing is the apparent hate for each other both Serbs and Croatians living abroad have for each other, when here, smack dead middle of where the was actually was, normal people (read: non-right wing, militant idiots with an intelligence of a squished mellon) hang out with each other and generally don't give a crap who's Serbian and who's Croatian.

Anyway...
The best thing to happen to Croatian hockey is the EBEL League, the building is packed every game, it's a genuine pleasure to go to the games, there's a lot of Canadians of Croatian descent playing (and some former NHLers, like Joel Prpic.... Jeff Hereema is also here), and I had the pleasure of being there when Aaron Fox scored this goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HoOyDge8k4

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Hm... It's not that simple anymore.

Maybe between people living abroad for dozens of years, but here, it's gotten so mixed up you can't really tell people by their last names anymore.

Yes, some surnames are Serbian and some are Croatian.
But it's not a guarantee it's not a Serbian with a Croatian name or vice-versa after all the mixing.

The other thing is the apparent hate for each other both Serbs and Croatians living abroad have for each other, when here, smack dead middle of where the was actually was, normal people (read: non-right wing, militant idiots with an intelligence of a squished mellon) hang out with each other and generally don't give a crap who's Serbian and who's Croatian.

Anyway...
The best thing to happen to Croatian hockey is the EBEL League, the building is packed every game, it's a genuine pleasure to go to the games, there's a lot of Canadians of Croatian descent playing (and some former NHLers, like Joel Prpic.... Jeff Hereema is also here), and I had the pleasure of being there when Aaron Fox scored this goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HoOyDge8k4

I heard MedveÅ¡čak get 5 to 6 thousand a night, which is really amazing since I think there are only 3 senior teams left in the entire country. News stations are also showing small clips on tv.

There isn't any, genetically speaking. They're mostly (99%) segregated by religion and 1% by name.

That's not completely true. For example, in Dalmacija there are a lot of people with Italian/Venetian/Illyrian blood, where as I don't think too many Venetians made the trek to Serbia two hundred years ago. It really depends on the region. Nationalism as we know it today is still a fairly new concept.

hadzija

Jan 11, 2010
According to wikipedia there was a Croat who played in the league in season 03-04. Does anybody know who played and were?

It is stupid to discuss about the difference between Croats and Serbs. It is the same with Americans, Canadians, Australians etc. Which nationality is Ryan Getzlaf or Sean Crosby?
For a French guy who doesn’t know who they are they could easily be any national in English spoken countries.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Stamkos - Sakic - Lucic

Radivojevic - Kopitar - Stajan

Belak - Mursak - Urbas

Razingar - Rodman - Rodman

Jovanovski - Sarich

Mitchell - Vlasic

Bezina - Oreskovic

Popovic - Fistric

Hamonic - Gregorc

Team Yugoslavia.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Stamkos - Sakic - Lucic

Radivojevic - Kopitar - Stajan

Belak - Mursak - Urbas

Razingar - Rodman - Rodman

Jovanovski - Sarich

Mitchell - Vlasic

Bezina - Oreskovic

Popovic - Fistric

Hamonic - Gregorc

Team Yugoslavia.

Stamkos is greek and you could add Luke Gazdic, and I think Mark Katic, and Zach Miscovic

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
According to wikipedia there was a Croat who played in the league in season 03-04. Does anybody know who played and were?

I assume it is Goran Bezina, he was born in Split, Croatia but represents Switzerland in international hockey, in fact played in the 2006 Olympics and is in the squad for this years as well. He only played 2-3 games for the Coyotes, spent most of his time in the AHL before returning to the Swiss league

About Vlasic, thats the one I want to know as well, I know Vlasic is Croatian surname, but his first name makes it seem he isn't 100% (French mother, or not first generation)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->