NHL players general knowledge questions

sly731

Dec 9, 2014
The recent Bernier faux pas made me think about a similar situation; a video segment when NHL draftees (or soon to be) were asked general knowledge questions, and failed miserably.

I believe it was 2-3 years ago. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but Stamkos (Kane?) flunked an easy algebra question.

Does anyone have any idea about what I'm talking about?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
It was Gerry Dee feature and I believe it's on YT

edit: found it assuming we're thinking of the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjrKzn4RGdA

:laugh::laugh:

1) Can't blame them, I knew it wasn't Sydney but had no idea what the capital actually was.

2) Not so sure that is a gr.8 question like they claim but most people with some sort of background in high school math or an understand of what an exponent is could get that one

3) No reason to not get the boiling point, especially for the Canadian guys when it is simply 100.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
I love some of these guys, but some of the answers were a bit embarrassing. :laugh:

KevinBXA

Professional Caveman
Nov 4, 2010
The Roxy
4 to the power of 0..... It's 4?

hahaha, it's fun to laugh at successful people with millions of dollars more than me!

goawaygary*

:facepalm:

I feel embarrassed watching that video. "What's an exponent?" :laugh:

I had to think about it for a second too.

Outside of high school or college math, I don't think I've ever had to know what an exponent is in any situation ever. It's easy to forget if you don't see it often. Not everybody is an engineer

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006

Outside of high school or college math, I don't think I've ever had to know what an exponent is in any situation ever. It's easy to forget if you don't see it often. Not everybody is an engineer

I don't think it's too much to expect, especially since they were like 3 years removed from high school. I'll let it go though... they're doing great things on ice. ;)

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

When they tell you on the news that an earthquake was a magnitude of 6 what do you think they're telling you?

What about your finances? If your business started at $13 profit and is now doubling in profits every month, how much money do you have after 31 months?
You could waste 10 minutes calculating it like $13x2, $26x2, $52x2 etc 384 times or do it in seconds using a logarithmic equation

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Who cares? These guys are in a bubble from the time they're kids, and I doubt any of them tried at all in school - and frankly I can't blame them.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Who cares? These guys are in a bubble from the time they're kids, and I doubt any of them tried at all in school - and frankly I can't blame them.

Cogliano went to St Mikes for high school, and Michigan for 2 years. Doesnt mean he's smart, but I guarantee you he had to put some effort into school

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
As much as he's seen as a bit of a moron, watching the Avery interview on Strombo a few years ago gave some interesting insight into the life of a pro hockey player. At one point when talking about how competitive it is in junior hockey, he talked about how none of his teammates focused on study much because they all assumed or believed they'd make it pro one day. He even says something like "I kind of wish I didn't have to use the dictionary function on my phone while I'm texting".

Pro athletes work really ****ing hard for their success, and they sacrifice a ton of opportunities in education to follow their dream.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
As much as he's seen as a bit of a moron, watching the Avery interview on Strombo a few years ago gave some interesting insight into the life of a pro hockey player. At one point when talking about how competitive it is in junior hockey, he talked about how none of his teammates focused on study much because they all assumed or believed they'd make it pro one day. He even says something like "I kind of wish I didn't have to use the dictionary function on my phone while I'm texting".

Pro athletes work really ****ing hard for their success, and they sacrifice a ton of opportunities in education to follow their dream.

The most respectable players in the game are the ones who handle both sports and their academics. The amount of players that have done well in University and gone on to be pro's in sports is a handful. Here is a good article here

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/combining-brains-and-brawn

Craig Adams was the only one to attend Harvard, the number 1 University in the world

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
On the other hand a player can be extremely smart regardless of education. Having those credentials implies intelligence but doesn't necessarily prove anything.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I HATE these questions. Hockey-players generally aren't that smart and journalists take advantage of it. Just let them play hockey, no need to make headlines by embarrassing people.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You don't need to try in school to know these. It's all elementary.

That's the thing though. These are all basically memorization questions, including the math one, which doesn't really say much about intelligence.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
That's the thing though. These are all basically memorization questions, including the math one, which doesn't really say much about intelligence.

True. It's all designed to make them look, if not bad, then at least entertaining.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
True. It's all designed to make them look, if not bad, then at least entertaining.

This. It's about a bunch of people who wish they could live the life of a hockey player but not doing it patting themselves on the back because they know the capital of Australia.

Them knowing general facts is in no way a reflection of their intelligence, and lording it over them like it is is more of a reflection on certain people's bitterness.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
The most respectable players in the game are the ones who handle both sports and their academics. The amount of players that have done well in University and gone on to be pro's in sports is a handful. Here is a good article here

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/combining-brains-and-brawn

Craig Adams was the only one to attend Harvard, the number 1 University in the world

I think it's fantastic that they're well educated, and I actually believe junior hockey players need to be mentored, but it's not surprising that most of the more well educated players aren't considered superstars. I'd be impressed if someone could complete a college degree at a serious university and become a superstar in the NHL - and that isn't said in the *******y way of "I'd be impressed", it'd be genuinely awesome and encouraging to see.

I guess Marty is the best example - Small Business Management from Vermont and a Hart Trophy winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->