NHL players from your hometown

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
With a Chicago birthplace listed (but who knows where they grew up)

Bates Battaglia
Chris Chelios (grew up in Evergreen Park, IL and San Diego)
Lee Fogolin
Ed Olczyk

Noteables with suburban Chicago birthplaces:

Craig Anderson
Joe Corvo
Tony Granato
Todd Krygier
Brett Lebda
Tom Preissing
Blake Sloan
Rick Zombo

Not bad for a state that doesn't border Canada.

You can add Al Montoya to that list as well. He went to my high school.

nnynetpotato

Sep 9, 2008
I'm more from the country area south of Ottawa, I won't include Ottawa, but will include little towns within 30 mins or so of me.
Alright that's enough of that :laugh:, sorry lots of little towns around here. None of them have more than a couple thousand people in them though, all in one county though.

From across the river in St.Lawrence County (pop.100,000 or so);

Craig Conroy,Mike Hurlbut,Jimmy Howard(born in Syracuse raised in Ogdensburg),Zack Bogosian.(all NHL)

Also,Jim Brown ND,3 games w/ LA) was born in Canton,but don't recall him devloping here.

Several minor leaguers including a guy who my nephew ran track with.

Of course I could write about the SLU and Clarkson boys who made it all day.:yo:

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
I live in Calgary but from my community hockey team I have seen 3 players make the NHL... Mike Green, Ryan Stone and Jay Beagle

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
St. Louis

Paul and Yan Statsny, Pat Lafontaine, and the real star from nearby Eureka... Cam Janssen!!!

alx83*

No one is from Wylie, Texas. I doubt that there ever will be a player from Wylie, Texas.

Koffein

Mar 20, 2009
Oslo
Closest thing my hometown has got is my old classmate Johan Berggren who was taken in the 4th round in '04 by the Wings I believe. Some of the nearby towns has produced some players previously though, like Jonas Höglund and Magnus Arvedsson from Karlstad, Anders Håkansson, Thommie Bergman and Peter Nordström from Munkfors and Willy Lindström and Thomas Steen from Grums, all less than an hour from here.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
With a Chicago birthplace listed (but who knows where they grew up)

Bates Battaglia
Chris Chelios (grew up in Evergreen Park, IL and San Diego)
Lee Fogolin
Ed Olczyk

Noteables with suburban Chicago birthplaces:

Craig Anderson
Joe Corvo
Tony Granato
Todd Krygier
Brett Lebda
Tom Preissing
Blake Sloan
Rick Zombo

Not bad for a state that doesn't border Canada.

Preissing grew up in Minnesota and Krygier grew up in Michigan.

You missed Mark Lavarre

12Kerr

Let's go Flyers
Apr 17, 2007
In the Crease
Jeff Halpern current Montreal player and former Caps, and Stars grew up in Gambrills Md. which is in Anne Arundel County and I grew up in Pasadena which is roughly 20-25 mins away...he's the closest...

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Lee Norwood and Brooks Orpik. In terms of regular NHL players, that is it. Ryan Miller played for the Santa Clara Blackhawks program, so he is connected to this region. The Bay Area is known for producing baseball and football talent. Joe Dimaggio, Barry Bonds, Tom Seaver, Randy Johnson, Dennis Eckersley, Jimmy Rollins, Troy Tulowitzki, CC Sabathia, Tom Brady (same HS as Bonds), and Aaron Rodgers, among others.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
George Allen
Viv Allen
Sherman White
Bobby Copp
Daryl Boyce

Nobody of major consequence (though one Stanley Cup) but given a population of about 1000 and no hockey rink within significant distance, not bad.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Lee Norwood and Brooks Orpik. In terms of regular NHL players, that is it. Ryan Miller played for the Santa Clara Blackhawks program, so he is connected to this region. The Bay Area is known for producing baseball and football talent. Joe Dimaggio, Barry Bonds, Tom Seaver, Randy Johnson, Dennis Eckersley, Jimmy Rollins, Troy Tulowitzki, CC Sabathia, Tom Brady (same HS as Bonds), and Aaron Rodgers, among others.

I heard that Lee Norwood and Brooks Orpik spent little time in Ca. My nephew played in the US Midget Nationals in 1977 against Norwood when he played for one of the
Detriot Area AAA programs. My understanding was that Norwood grew up in Gross Pointe, Michigan. Orpik from my understanding grew up in Amherst, NY.

This thread needs to do a better job of differentiating between WHAT HOSPITAL and PRESCHOOL the players went to and where they actually grew up and learned their
hockey skill.

For instance Brian Leetch was born in Texas, but he sure never played any hockey there beyond advanced clinic.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Mike Green
Dany Heatley
Chris Phillips
Jason Smith (retired)
Mike Vernon (retired)
Tim Hunter (retired)

Probably more but thats all I can find atm.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
49 players have been born in Kitchener, a bunch of others not born here grew up here.

Scott Stevens, Daryl Sitter (Grew up in nearby Elmira/St Jacobs), Paul Reinhart, the Kraut Line, Howie Meeker are the biggest ones (HOF, very famous or HOF talent in Reinharts case)

Shadyone33

Aug 14, 2007
Toronto
Should try the player search on Hockeydb, might not KNOW of players that have come from Moncton but there are definitely a couple.

Charlie Bourgeois D 1959 Moncton, NB 1979-1993 290GP 16G, 54A
Rick Bowness C 1955 Moncton, NB 1972-1984 173GP 18G 37A (Former Head and Assistant coach)
George Carroll D 1897 Moncton, NB 1924-1925 15GP 0G,0A
Gordie Drillon R 1914 Moncton, NB 1935-1950 311GP 155G 139A
Scott Fraser R 1972 Moncton, NB 1990-1999 72GP 16G,15A
Dick Gamble L 1928 Moncton, NB 1946-1970 195GP 41G,41A
Gary Geldart D 1950 Moncton, NB 1968-1978 4GP
Rollie Melanson G 1960 Moncton, NB 1977-1994 1980-92 in NHL

Not the greatest but like I said there are a few!

Kind of ironic this thread came up, I was wasting time yesterday just going through towns around my area and checking who had grown up there.

Is there a hometown search? Can you tell me how?

The 2 players that come from Rexdale are both D-men. P.K. Subban and Carlo Colaiacovo. Stupid NHL.com puts them as Toronto.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Our NHL'er is Blake Geoffrion from Brentwood, TN, a suburb or Nashville. He was born in Florida but has lived in Nashville since he was a year old.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
My home town of Sorel-Tracy, Quebec; population 30,000; has produced WAY more NHLers than I ever thought it had.

The better known ones...

- Francois Beauchemin
- Marc-Andre Fleury
- Pierre Mondou
- Frederic Cassivi
- Mathieu Aubin

JoeMalone

Apr 12, 2009
Ray Sheppard is from the same town as me.
Knocked out my older brother's front teeth playing street hockey.

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland
From my home town of Turku, Finland. ~177k population (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turku). Players that have played at least 1 NHL game:

Miika Elomo
Mikko Eloranta
Jani Hurme
Marko Kiprusoff
Miikka Kiprusoff
Tom Koivisto
Mikko Koivu
Saku Koivu
Lauri Korpikoski
Petteri Lehto
Antero Niittymäki
Petteri Nummelin
Kai Nurminen
Sami Salo
Hannu Virta

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Surprised they actually listed his proper hometown on hockey reference rather than just Rochester... Marty Reasoner represent! His mom was a reading teacher at my primary school, and more recently I've worked summers there and talked to her now and then. She retired last year and gave me and my buddy some signed Marty Reasoner stuff. Not much to brag about in the grand spectrum of things, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Gionta and Callahan are from not too far away either. Reasoner, Gionta, and Callahan are usually the "local boys" around here that everyone roots for.

Rory Fitzpatrick never did much at the NHL level, but he might be the most recognizable Rochestarian to a non/casual hockey fan from Rochester. Played in the AHL for the Amerks for a good stretch, he was playing for one of the earliest live hockey games I went to that I can remember clearly. Never knew he himself was from Rochester.

Yes, no one from Livonia, NY, so Reasoner is the closest one I can claim. ~10 miles down road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad