NHL players from your hometown

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Moncton.... uhhh :/

Should maybe get some in the future now that we've had a Q team for 15 years, so kids who grew up watching them are now NHL-Age (say they were 5 back then they're 20 now etc...).

Should try the player search on Hockeydb, might not KNOW of players that have come from Moncton but there are definitely a couple.

Charlie Bourgeois D 1959 Moncton, NB 1979-1993 290GP 16G, 54A
Rick Bowness C 1955 Moncton, NB 1972-1984 173GP 18G 37A (Former Head and Assistant coach)
George Carroll D 1897 Moncton, NB 1924-1925 15GP 0G,0A
Gordie Drillon R 1914 Moncton, NB 1935-1950 311GP 155G 139A
Scott Fraser R 1972 Moncton, NB 1990-1999 72GP 16G,15A
Dick Gamble L 1928 Moncton, NB 1946-1970 195GP 41G,41A
Gary Geldart D 1950 Moncton, NB 1968-1978 4GP
Rollie Melanson G 1960 Moncton, NB 1977-1994 1980-92 in NHL

Not the greatest but like I said there are a few!

Kind of ironic this thread came up, I was wasting time yesterday just going through towns around my area and checking who had grown up there.

Rille

Jan 22, 2011
Örnsköldsvik
Peter Forsberg
Markus Näslund
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Tobias Enström
Victor Hedman
Niklas Sundström
Anders Hedberg
Tomas Gradin
Samuel PÃ¥hlsson
Hans Jonsson
Per Svartvadet
Mattias Timander
Andreas Salomonsson
Niklas Nordgren
Lars Molin

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Bill Dineen and Sam St Laurent were born in Arvida , Quebec. Dineen didn't actually play there (left at about 18 months old) but his father was the engineer who designed and laid out most of the town for Alcan.

Think I'm gonna claim Peter Lee too. Born in England but learned to skate in Arvida.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
No NHLers, but we have Jason Isringhausen, the original Michael Myers, and the vice president/long time driver of Bigfoot is my guitar tech. LOL

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
Peter Forsberg
Markus Näslund
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Tobias Enström
Victor Hedman
Niklas Sundström
Anders Hedberg
Tomas Gradin
Samuel PÃ¥hlsson
Hans Jonsson
Per Svartvadet
Mattias Timander
Andreas Salomonsson
Niklas Nordgren
Lars Molin

Pretty good for a small 30k town in the middle of nowhere.

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
None from Stephenville, NL. There have been 3 players who made it to the minors though and one guy made it up to the AHL for a couple of stints.

On the other side of the coin, a few NHLers played for the Stephenville Jets, our local senior team, after their big league careers ended.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I'm from Gatineau:

There's Daniel Briere, Mathieu Carle, Francois Guay, Eric Landry, Steve Martins, Alexandre Picard, Christian Soucy.

then there is Hull, which is now a part of Gatineau:

Derrick Brassard, Michel Larocque, Guy Larose, Christian Matte, Rob Murphy, P A Parenteau, Stephane Richer, Dominic Roussel, and Guy Trottier

BamBamCam*

I've lived in Acton, MA for the past 18 years, so I consider it my hometown. Acton and neighboring Boxborough have a combined school system. So here's the rundown of NHLers who grew up in Acton, Boxborough and/or attended A-B high school. Acton and Boxborough have a combined population of about 26,000.

Tom Barrasso (Lived in Stow, MA, but graduated from A-B high and went straight to the NHL, winning the Calder and Vezina one year out of A-B.)
Jeff Norton
Bob Sweeney
Ian Moran
Bob Brooke
Brad Norton
Ted Crowley

And Hal Gill supposedly played in the Acton-Boxborough Youth Hockey organization in his early years, but his hometown is Bolton, MA.

I think Gill was from Walpole and I believe he was their star QB and was a better football player so I have been told.

Edit:

Here I found it and you are correct : http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08113/875433-61.stm

The kid from Nashoba Regional High School, Hal Gill recalls, certainly could throw a football.

dannythekid

Nov 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Some guys who are local to my area (20 mile radius):

R.J. Umberger (Played for Pittsburgh Hornets at the same complex I coach at)
Ryan Malone (Kid I used to work with played against Malone in H.S.)
John Zeiler (My cousin is friends with Zeiler's sister in law or something like that)
George Parros
Bill Thomas
Nate Guenin
Dylan Reese

Last edited:

Gylf

Dec 29, 2007
Mats Näslund
Kjell Dahlin
Peter Andersson
Tommy Sjödin
Fredrik Modin
Henrik Zetterberg
Erik Gustafsson

And recently signed...
Anton Lander
Sebastian Erixon

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Rick Zombo and I were born in the same town. Al Montoya grew up not to far away in Glenview and went to school with my cousin at Loyola.

Thats about as close as it gets tho..

Not exactly like the Chicago area is an NHL hotbed for prospects.

Football, Baseball and Basketball are a totally different story...

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Surprisingly, my American town has quite a few players that have made the jumped to the NHL.

Bobby Allen - Hull, Ma
Jim Carey (moved to Weymouth as a youth, we used to tool him playing shinny)
Mark Holden - Weymouth, Ma
Gerry McDonald - Braintree, Ma
Bobby Sheehan - Weymouth, Ma
Kurt Walker - Hingham, Ma
Tim Sweeney (ex-teammate of mine in WYH) - Weymouth, Ma
Brian Noonan - S. Boston, Ma.
Cleon Daskalakis (not sure if he was Weymouth or Hingham) - Canton, Ma

Not bad for a small American town.

Fixed the towns BAMBAM Carey, Holden, Sheehan, & Sweeney are from Weymouth, Ma.

Last edited:

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Born: Somerville, MA
- Niko Dimitrakos
- Jack Hughes

Grew up: Newton, MA
- David Jensen
- Frenchy Lacroix
- Bob Taylor
- CJ Young

Current : Mission Hill, MA
- Don't know how many of the 27 Boston born players are from this neighborhood. There are others also listed from the Charlestown, Brighton and Dorchester neighborhoods, (probably the Catholic hospitals).

David Jensen grew up in Needham, not Newton.

Last edited:

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
Surprised they actually listed his proper hometown on hockey reference rather than just Rochester... Marty Reasoner represent! His mom was a reading teacher at my primary school, and more recently I've worked summers there and talked to her now and then. She retired last year and gave me and my buddy some signed Marty Reasoner stuff. Not much to brag about in the grand spectrum of things, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Gionta and Callahan are from not too far away either. Reasoner, Gionta, and Callahan are usually the "local boys" around here that everyone roots for.

Rory Fitzpatrick never did much at the NHL level, but he might be the most recognizable Rochestarian to a non/casual hockey fan from Rochester. Played in the AHL for the Amerks for a good stretch, he was playing for one of the earliest live hockey games I went to that I can remember clearly. Never knew he himself was from Rochester.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
With a Chicago birthplace listed (but who knows where they grew up)

Bates Battaglia
Chris Chelios (grew up in Evergreen Park, IL and San Diego)
Lee Fogolin
Ed Olczyk

Noteables with suburban Chicago birthplaces:

Craig Anderson
Joe Corvo
Tony Granato
Todd Krygier
Brett Lebda
Tom Preissing
Blake Sloan
Rick Zombo

Not bad for a state that doesn't border Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->