Nhl players and endorsements

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Just caught a video on YouTube about Steph Curry and his deal with under armour.

Its quite an interesting story, about how nike basically owns the nba endorsement market, but they slighted curry when it was time to renew and curry chose under armour instead.

Long story short currys deal with nike was around 3m for 4 years. Under armour offered him 4 m and shares. Not sure if i understood correctly but it sounded like currys deal could be worth a billion by the time its all said and done.

Anyways, seeing a few marner commercials lately, and wondering what kind of money those smaller time ads pay?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
From what I understand, advertising is worth a lot more than what you make playing.
I've heard both but not sure what's the truth.

Like seeing Connor McDavid on a billboard for used cars - surely that's a 5 figure deal, and a lower one at that?

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
I've heard both but not sure what's the truth.

Like seeing Connor McDavid on a billboard for used cars - surely that's a 5 figure deal, and a lower one at that?
McDavid doesn’t even have 800k follower on IG. There are girls with big butts that have 3x as many followers. I know IG followers is not the only indicator of marketability, but it gives you a good idea. NHL players are just not that marketable. Especially compared to NBA superstars.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
I feel bad for NHL players with their endorsement money. It’s just too bad the NHL has the worst marketing I’ve ever seen. Does the NHL market anything but Original 6 crap that nobody cares about? Why doesn’t any other vastly more successful league in North America only push their “original” franchises?

Reactions: Galactico

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
NBA vs NHL endorsements are not even close, but it's not the fault of the NHL.

NBA players play wearing shoes. Everyone wears shoes. Therefore a shoe endorsement is an opportunity to market and sell many many shoes.

NHL players play wearing skates. A relatively small percentage of people are ever in the market for skates. Therefore the endorsement markets just don't compare.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
From what I understand, advertising is worth a lot more than what you make playing.
For nba players that is true. Not for hockey players. Some perspective below:

Crosby In 2010 signed with Reebok for $10 mill over 7 years. That’s total money. In 2015 James Harden signed with adidas for $200 million over 13 years. So, Harden would have $100 mill over 6.5 years. Basically 10 times what Sid got per year.

You simply can’t compare the marketing reach of an nba player to a nhl player.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
For nba players that is true. Not for hockey players. Some perspective below:

Crosby In 2010 signed with Reebok for $10 mill over 7 years. That’s total money. In 2015 James Harden signed with adidas for $200 million over 13 years. So, Harden would have $100 mill over 6.5 years. Basically 10 times what Sid got per year.

You simply can’t compare the marketing reach of an nba player to a nhl player.
Insane. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

NBA players play wearing shoes. Everyone wears shoes. Therefore a shoe endorsement is an opportunity to market and sell many many shoes.

NHL players play wearing skates. A relatively small percentage of people are ever in the market for skates. Therefore the endorsement markets just don't compare.
Yeah that's an interesting take on the differences between the sports. You would think there would be some room to be creative there with basic fashion for nhl players, you know if you always saw mackinnon in a certain brand of hat or shoes.

The major junior deals (i think ccm goal equipment) must influence a lot of kids? I remember 25 years ago all the goalies in the dub wore Louisville pads, and guess what i bought?

Inigo Montoya

Aug 29, 2008
Newmarket, ON
NHL players are making nowhere close to what NBA players make in endorsements. It just isn't the same market. Highest NHL player is likely making low seven figures in endorsements, NBA is far beyond that.

Not all of Marner's deals are exclusive endorsement agreements. His Intact deal is, but not his Apple commerical - Apple is a league partner and likely just purchased a production day and an appearance.

I would say Mitch has made mid to high six figures across all of these deals.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah that's an interesting take on the differences between the sports. You would think there would be some room to be creative there with basic fashion for nhl players, you know if you always saw mackinnon in a certain brand of hat or shoes.

The major junior deals (i think ccm goal equipment) must influence a lot of kids? I remember 25 years ago all the goalies in the dub wore Louisville pads, and guess what i bought?

how often do you see players wearing clothing outside of the hockey equipment? unless you are a team stalker not very often. all interviews are done with team branded stuff for the most part.

basketball players can wear the gear they are sponsored by on the court since most of them are shoe company's that sponsor players.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
how often do you see players wearing clothing outside of the hockey equipment? unless you are a team stalker not very often. all interviews are done with team branded stuff for the most part.

basketball players can wear the gear they are sponsored by on the court since most of them are shoe company's that sponsor players.
Idk. Instagram? I'm old and avoid social media

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Been through this multiple times. NHL endorsement deals earn peanuts compared to other sports.

There are only ~3 players earning 2m+ in endorsement deals (Crosby 4.5, McDavid 4, Ovi 3ish). And once you get to the ~10th highest endorsement totals they drop to under 1m.

This is also total endorsements, not each endorsement.

Edit: Found one of the links. Not the highest endorsement deals, but highest paid players and including endorsement totals. Should have at least the highest 5 endorsement deals and gice perspective... You can google search and find older versions of just endorsement deals if you have time.

The NHL's Highest-Paid Players 2018-19: Connor McDavid On Top At $19 Million

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
p-k-subban-weber-ad.jpg

PK Subban's endorsment of Weber.
It's real, and it's hilarious

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Just caught a video on YouTube about Steph Curry and his deal with under armour.

Its quite an interesting story, about how nike basically owns the nba endorsement market, but they slighted curry when it was time to renew and curry chose under armour instead.

Long story short currys deal with nike was around 3m for 4 years. Under armour offered him 4 m and shares. Not sure if i understood correctly but it sounded like currys deal could be worth a billion by the time its all said and done.

Anyways, seeing a few marner commercials lately, and wondering what kind of money those smaller time ads pay?
For a crappier shoe.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008

Has anyone compared endorsement deals that did NOT involve shoes?

I still believe NBA players would be making a lot more to endorse headphones, burgers, insurance, etc. than an NHL player - simply because the NBA has a MUCH bigger following than hockey. Most Americans probably couldn't even identify most hockey players.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
McDavid would have to have a personality to be in marketing. Dude looks like he get hit in the head constantly.

I would love to see players get more opportunities for advertising and getting more money, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter to me. I don't know or care about the NBA players, and athletes in general don't make me more likely to buy a product. If anything the opposite is true, if some low life is getting paid by a company, IE Nike, I won't buy their product.

The only thing I would like to see if players making more money and get more recognition for the great sport of hockey.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Most NHLers have no endorsement deals. Some have small time local deals. You need to be a big deal to make money out of endorsements. A scrub 4th liner out of Russia playing 16 games a year isn't getting anything outside of his salary.

Equipment and travel is free anyway for NHL pros, so the kind of endorsement deals PGA pros for instance have, don't exist. Like, wear a hat and we pay for your clubs and travel etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad