NHL players acquired by a team but played zero games with the team.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Damphousse signs with Avalanche
Vincent Damphousse provides us with quality forward depth,” Avalanche general manager Pierre Lacroix said in a statement. “His versatility and experience will definitely contribute to the future success of our club.”

Darn lockout.

Red Wings sign G Nabokov to one-year deal
The Detroit Red Wings signed goaltender Evgeni Nabokov to a one-year deal, the team announced Thursday.

He went on waivers at noon ET Friday; the waiver period ends at noon ET Saturday.

Darn Islanders.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yes, when a spouse cheats, then it is safe to say that the marriage isn't 100% healthy and happy.

However, it is a bug scumbag move for Shanahan and Brown to even get involved with married women. Either find a single woman or wait until the marriage completely falls apart before making a move.

This is particularly true when it is your teammate's wife.

I was a hockey wife — and it just about killed me: My stint with NHL veteran Kirk McLean | National Post

At least according to McLean's wife, she never met Jeff Brown.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

that’s not the same mclean wife as the one rumoured to have had the affair with jeff brown

as per wikipedia:
Involved in thoroughbred horse racing, he co-owned Regal Discovery, a colt who won the 136th Queen's Plate in 1995, with his wife Lesley and her parents Anne and Ron.[92] McLean and Lesley have since divorced.[93] He was also briefly married to Canadian journalist Jane MacDougall, a columnist for the National Post newspaper.[94]
He is now married to ex-model and media account consultant Genevieve Duford, living together in Vancouver. 2017/05/19

Reactions: Brodeur

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Iafrate Retires Due To Injuries

Found this one by accident. Nashville selected a few impending UFAs during their expansion draft (Mike Richter, Uwe Krupp, Al Iafrate) with the intention of getting a compensatory draft pick. I thought Nashville wanted to keep Iafrate, but it looks like he signed with Carolina that offseason and retired before training camp started.

It's probably a different bucket, but Dean Lombardi realized in 2002 that there was nothing stopping him from using the same technique of acquiring an impending free agent just to lose him a few days later to gain a draft pick (Sharks would acquire/lose Theo Fleury). This led to be a bunch of odd moves from 2002-04 where a small market team would acquire a UFA while the big market team would get back a draft pick for his rights rather than lose the player for nothing. Thanks to this, the 2005 CBA no longer included draft pick compensation.

Fleury was with the Sharks briefly?!

Brian Leetch was with the Oilers briefly. So was Tim Thomas.

I’ve been hoping to find a picture of Thomas with Edmonton (he played 3 games in the 1998 pre-season) and @Doctor No has so far failed in that regard.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Fleury was with the Sharks briefly?!

Yeah it was a paper transaction. It's kinda amusing to see how the market for that sort of trade changed rapidly. I think Lombardi/San Jose had legitimate interest in Fleury a few years earlier, so initially most figured they wanted his negotiating rights prior to UFA. But word quickly got out that San Jose simply wanted the compensatory pick.

June 22, 2002: San Jose gets rights to Fleury + 2003 6th round pick (ended up being #179) for a 2002 6th round pick (#194). San Jose wound up with a late 2003 2nd round pick (#66) as compensation.

June 29, 2002: Dallas traded rights to Ed Belfour to Nashville for a 2003 5th round pick. Nashville got the 48th pick in 2003 back (Shea Weber) as compensation from the league for "losing" Belfour.

June 30, 2002: Toronto traded rights to Curtis Joseph to Calgary for a conditional 2003 3rd round pick (#78). Calgary got pick #47 back for losing CuJo.

Reactions: MarkusKetterer

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Yeah it was a paper transaction. It's kinda amusing to see how the market for that sort of trade changed rapidly. I think Lombardi/San Jose had legitimate interest in Fleury a few years earlier, so initially most figured they wanted his negotiating rights prior to UFA. But word quickly got out that San Jose simply wanted the compensatory pick.

June 22, 2002: San Jose gets rights to Fleury + 2003 6th round pick (ended up being #179) for a 2002 6th round pick (#194). San Jose wound up with a late 2003 2nd round pick (#66) as compensation.

June 29, 2002: Dallas traded rights to Ed Belfour to Nashville for a 2003 5th round pick. Nashville got the 48th pick in 2003 back (Shea Weber) as compensation from the league for "losing" Belfour.

June 30, 2002: Toronto traded rights to Curtis Joseph to Calgary for a conditional 2003 3rd round pick (#78). Calgary got pick #47 back for losing CuJo.

You’d think I’d have remembered that Fleury trade. Now I really want to see a photoshop of him in that Sharks teal :laugh:.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Claude Lemieux with the NY Islanders. Was traded to Colorado(formerly Quebec) the very same day for Wendel Clark.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I’ve been hoping to find a picture of Thomas with Edmonton (he played 3 games in the 1998 pre-season) and @Doctor No has so far failed in that regard.

This one has vexed me as well - I keep checking in case a new edition gets added to the news database. Surely someone has one. Actually, I'm currently in that summer lull where I'm scanning in old media guides - I'll check to see what's in the Oiler editions of that vintage.

Reactions: MarkusKetterer

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This one has vexed me as well - I keep checking in case a new edition gets added to the news database. Surely someone has one. Actually, I'm currently in that summer lull where I'm scanning in old media guides - I'll check to see what's in the Oiler editions of that vintage.

There was an image of Thomas playing for Edmonton in the “What are you doing in that uniform, pt. II” thread, but that may have been just the image of the Thomas jersey you can find online. The link is now unfortunately dead (I assume due to the migration).

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Jaro Halak was traded by St. Louis to Buffalo for Miller. Buffalo then traded him to Washington. He didn’t play a game for Buffalo (although he dressed as a back-up for 1 game).

Marian Gaborik recently “won” his second Stanley Cup as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning organisation.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Steve mason was traded to Montreal as part of the Joel Armia deal.

Montreal immediately bought out mason's contract. I don't think mason has seen the nhl since.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Veli-Pekka Ketola signed (free agent) with Vancouver Canucks in March of 1979. He was supposed to join the team after the season in Finland ended. But apparently wrist injury prevented him going. Then in summer thet made a one year deal, but before the training camp Ketola told that he wanted to stay in Finland (wanted that kids would stay in Finland in school and did not want to go alone). Canucks GM Milford decided to respect that decision even though they did have contract. I think Ketola did some European scouting for Canucks. Few years later Ketola who was badly past his prime had horrible stint with Rockies (mainly to be chaperon to younger Finns with Rockies).

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
If you count the movement of players' FA rights, in the summer of 2003 the Rangers traded Mark Messier's rights to San Jose and Brian Leetch's rights to Edmonton right before the start of free agency, neither team had any intent to sign either player and acquired them just to get a compensatory pick. They both went straight back to New York as free agents.

Vincent Damphousse signed with Colorado after the lockout but retired before the season began. Valeri Bure signed with the Kings after the lockout but never played for them. Obviously Lundqvist with Washington this year. The Kings also traded for Stephane Quintal after the 03-04 season, and he also wound up never playing for them.

What about guys that were regulars in the NHL that got traded and then buried in the minors by the team that acquired them?

Like Brian Glynn. The pretty much forgotten piece that came to Detroit from the Whalers along with Brendan Shanahan for Paul Coffey, Keith Primeau and a 1st round pick.

Despite Glynn having not played in the minors for around 6 years, the Wings quickly thereafter banished him to the San Antonio Dragons of the IHL (not the Wings affiliate in Adirondack/AHL). He was rarely (if at all) mentioned after that. Even when the Wings got hit with some injuries on D midseason, Bowman opted to use forwards Sergei Fedorov or Mathieu Dandenault there instead of calling up a defenseman with 431 NHL games under his belt.
Sort of similarly- Dany Heatley was acquired by Florida from Anaheim in 2015 and was sent to San Antonio, never playing a game for the Panthers, but he had spent most of the season in the AHL with Norfolk already (he had played a handful of games for the Ducks that year)

Reactions: RussianShark

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
in the 2010 offseason, vancouver traded michael grabner, along with a couple other pieces, to florida for keith ballard. florida attempted to sneak grabner through waivers before the season (i think he also had a bad training camp and didn't deserve a spot on the team) and he was claimed by the islanders. he went on to immediately put up a 30+ goal calder finalist rookie season for them.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I remember Nils Ekman was once Rangers property in the early 2000s, and was traded to SJ before playing an NHL game for them. I remember being very frustrated by that when he broke out with the Sharks and became a 50 points scorer.

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Bay Area
Pretty interesting tidbit about the Sharks/Messier trade is the picks that were later involved.

The 4th round pick that the Rangers received in the trade became Ryan Callahan, while the compensatory 3rd round pick the Sharks received was traded to Dallas and later Vancouver, who selected Alex Edler.

Not too shabby for mid-round picks.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Valeri Bure signed with the Kings after the lockout but never played for them.

valeri-bure-of-the-los-angeles-kings-greets-his-congratulatory-after-picture-id55828115

My buddy always jokes that he's honored that he went to the one preseason game where Bure dressed for the Kings before deciding to retire.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Vegas signed Nikita Gusev to a one-year deal in April 2019 to basically burn his entry level contract but was then traded to New Jersey as an RFA that summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad