NHL plans to disperse talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Parity equals scoring, IMO. Because you won't have teams like the Rangers dragging down the league's top talent.
The Rangers do the league a favour by accepting all the spoiled and grossly over paid players, put them on one team and sink the ship.

Besides, parity doesn't equal scoring. Parity is clutch and grab, defensively smothering teams and falling asleep before the game is over.

Last edited:

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Yeah, definetaly not an idea I would be for, I'd get rid of the current waiver draft if I could actually, the NHL should encourage player loyalty.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
It wouldnt work, for example the Flyers would make LeClair, Amote and Burke available and noone would take them.

If they did, it would actually help them out so they can avoid buy out costs.

There would be a lot of overpaid, overaged bums and only the Leafs would be interested in signing any of them. :D

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Bettman is on record as saying there would be no grandfathering of contracts when a cap came in. Numerous teams took him on his word, and took steps to prepare for the upcoming season. Others continued business as usual.

Once again, any team who is negatively affected by this will be because of bad management, not because of the cap.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
PecaFan said:
Bettman is on record as saying there would be no grandfathering of contracts when a cap came in. Numerous teams took him on his word, and took steps to prepare for the upcoming season. Others continued business as usual.

Once again, any team who is negatively affected by this will be because of bad management, not because of the cap.

Bang on.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
kruezer said:
Yeah, definetaly not an idea I would be for, I'd get rid of the current waiver draft if I could actually, the NHL should encourage player loyalty.

I definitely agree with you on this: NHL should encourage player loyalty.
Not sure i agree completely about the waiver draft 'cause it's sometimes a good help for marginal players careers (not always you might said)

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
WHy not just a a complete league draft every year. All players are redrafted, worst team gets first pick, and so on, each year. ITs just laundry. And the only important thing is we manufacture equality. Who wants to see young teams rebuilding, developing teams make the playoffs for the first time, teams in their prime contending, great teams contending for years, and then all having to rebuild again. A dispersal draft would seem important for engineering the parity.

I think one of the more important points was
Furthermore, Linden said he was insulted when told during the talks that players would have no more say in how the NHL is run than auto workers have say over how an auto company is run.

I have to confess, my perspective on the players being the product has been challenged. This seems central to the power struggle at play to me. Maybe the players need to work on this perspective.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
If the league really did say this, then it is pure genius!!!!!!

Now, when the league needs to bend and give back something to the NHLPA, they can use this as a major chip!....sure, we'll give you something in return for accepting the cap, we won't have a dispersal draft.........

......This has left the NHL with a variety of options now. Great move in my opinion. You have the majority of fans (sans a few markets) behind you, it won't hurt you publicly.........great, great posturing IMO.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Trottier said:
Must say that I am astounded that some folks here actually endorse the concept of teams having to give up their talent to lesser ones, for the benefit of "parity" (read: "my" team having a better chance of winning a hollow Cup.).

Maybe we could have this system go into effect annually? Top five teams in the regular season have to divest themselves of 10-15 players...all of whom go to the bottom feeders. Would that meet your definition of "parity"?

I don't agree with the idea (although it would be interesting to say the least), but it has nothing to do "lesser teams" and "bottom feeders".

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Seachd said:
I don't agree with the idea (although it would be interesting to say the least), but it has nothing to do "lesser teams" and "bottom feeders".

Not for the owners, but for some fans of non-contenders, it most certainly does. Just read the boards.

I actually respect posters who have the guts/honesty to say they want a hardcap to "even out talent" across the league. It's a misguided, myopic point of view IMO. But at least these folks have the courage to admit that they only want a CBA that will help their otherwise middling team masquerade as a contender, every year (while deconstructing other, superior run/better financed franchises.)

That is more intellectually honest than implying that one really cares whatseover about seeing a more equitable distribution of league revenue amongst owners and players.

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
You don't think they're serious?

http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/Home/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CP-AllSports&newsitemid=17328017

Linden also says the cap will shred teams like the Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs, Philadelphia Flyers or Colorado Avalanche with star players stripped away.

"Those teams can't look the same under this system," Linden said.

Daly sees a different outcome, saying under the old collective bargaining agreement even rebuilding teams lost players before they were ready to compete because they could no longer afford them.

"You've got teams now that have to be broken up because of the financial reality of the situation," Daly said.

So we're not really talking about a "rumour" now, are we?

Direct quote there.

Daly seems to be saying the rich teams will be busted up, and my team is one of them. :eek:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
PepNCheese said:
http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/Home/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CP-AllSports&newsitemid=17328017
Daly seems to be saying the rich teams will be busted up, and my team is one of them. :eek:

You misread him. He said that teams *already* have been or will be broken up under the *old* system, due to being unable to financially compete.

If it happens under a cap in the future to the big market teams, it's nothing new, is it? Same result, different reasons, at worst.

If these teams are as well managed as they claim to be, they'll be fine.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
PecaFan said:
You misread him. He said that teams *already* have been or will be broken up under the *old* system, due to being unable to financially compete.

If it happens under a cap in the future to the big market teams, it's nothing new, is it? Same result, different reasons, at worst.

If these teams are as well managed as they claim to be, they'll be fine.

Are you sure?

It looks like he's talking about breaking up the rich teams now, just like poor teams had to be broken up under the old CBA because of financial concerns.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
HF2002 said:
The Rangers do the league a favour by accepting all the spoiled and grossly over paid players, put them on one team and sink the ship.

Besides, parity doesn't equal scoring. Parity is clutch and grab, defensively smothering teams and falling asleep before the game is over.
The Rangers are the ones that make those players over paid.

In the NHL today you've got players like Primeau and Gagne playing checking line duties in Philly, while Konstantin Koltsov and Brian Holzinger play first line duties in Pittsburgh. You can't tell me that's good for scoring.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Trottier said:
I actually respect posters who have the guts/honesty to say they want a hardcap to "even out talent" across the league. It's a misguided, myopic point of view IMO. But at least these folks have the courage to admit that they only want a CBA that will help their otherwise middling team masquerade as a contender, every year (while deconstructing other, superior run/better financed franchises.)

Isnt that the reason everyone wants a cap? To help their team compete or have its team keep an edge over the competition? Are there any posters who arent arguing for or against based on their feelings?.

I might be the only one who wants a cap because its good for the league. I think having a cap would allow the league to sell hope. Every fan could, in theory, could have a chance to win in any given year.

Could the NHL really get any more boring then the current crap product that is put on the ice? The eighties and early to mid nineties were far more entertaining.

Bring in the cap, sell the fans on hope, open the rules to increase offense. Ive always seen a soft cap with exceptions to keep players the team drafted as the best way to go. I just see that as the best way to sell the product and make more money.

Its all about money. The owners are the NHL. Why shouldnt I support them making more money? This is the business of hockey board is it not? The bottome line is all the anti cappers, especially the totally insane ones, will be right in line buying tickets and merchandise the second the NHL restarts with a cap. How could I not support it.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
In the NHL today you've got players like Primeau and Gagne playing checking line duties in Philly, while Konstantin Koltsov and Brian Holzinger play first line duties in Pittsburgh. You can't tell me that's good for scoring.

And 10-12 years ago Pittsburgh was dominating the league, while the Flyers were in the midst of 5 consecutive years missing the playoffs.

Things change.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

robcav

Mar 9, 2004
I was a huge baseball fan at one time but the excessive player movement and the myriad of labor problems turned me off totally. Now I could care less. The NHL is also leading me down this road. The NHL's idea of a dispersal draft has to be one of the stupidest of all times. It will turn the league into a fantasy or rotisserie league. How ludicrous is this. Any one who supports the owners should look at this and see how foolish it is. The more you watch Bettman and his cronies the more that you have to realize that this is a huge money grab and an attempt to break the union.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
me2 said:
They should grandfather down high payroll teams and grandfather up low payroll ones.

It doesnt make sense to have teams that are already losing money to all of a sudden add a 9 million dollar contract like John Leclair's right away. There should be a time period, a year or two, for teams to get under the cap and for lower teams to get to the minimum. How is the NHL going to disperse the talent? Would the NHL pick which players from teams go to Pittsburgh and Buffalo or would the teams at least have a say in which players they want to protect?

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
This seems more than a little missguided to me.

One of the problems with the league is that fans tend to root for their respective cities, or as some have put it, "colors". This will do nothing to help fans indentify better with their respective teams.

Well, the lockout is already eroding the fan base regardless...

jacketracket*

Jacobv2 said:
See ... they're already in the process of redistributing the league's top talent to lesser teams ... Holzinger was sent to save Columbus. ;)

robcav

Mar 9, 2004
This is just another example of how Bettman shows he has no clue about how to run the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->