NHL Pension Plans

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
This brief article was in the Tampa Tribune a few days ago, thought I'd post it for something different to talk about. Is there some current discussion of pension plans within the NHLPA? I'm not totally sure why this was in the paper exactly, unless the author was interviewing Espo (who's quoted in the article) and the topic came up. :dunno:

NHL Pension Struggles Tested Players' Resolve

When NHL players were forced to work offseason jobs to feed their families, wages were as frozen as the ice they skated on.

And once they stepped off the ice, the brawling really began.

Members of the Original Six franchises faced vengeful behavior and scandal while fighting for postretirement benefits.
In 1957, the Detroit Red Wings dealt the popular Ted Lindsay to Chicago after the Hall of Fame left wing dared to take an active role in trying to create the initial Players Association.
In an interview with the Toronto Star six months ago, the 81-year-old Lindsay reflected on the long, hard climb.

"I can't live on my pension … I'm ashamed almost to mention it," he said. "Players today don't need a pension. After they play two years, they should be able to live the rest of their lives in comfort."
I do like to bring this stuff up every once in a while for the people who pine for the "good old days" when teams were run by "hockey men". The players got treated like cattle, and if a 19 year vet who was relatively well-paid like Phil Esposito is getting a pension of $32k (Canadian) a year, earlier players or guys with fewer years in must be getting peanuts. I'd imagine there's something in the current CBA covering pension plans, since estimates for a few current players are given.

Fugu

I'm having an altruistic moment, but how many of these old guys can there be? Wouldn't it be nice if the NHL and NHLPA set up a fund to help those that came before?

Momentary weakness over. It's tough to live off all those extra millions....

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
The fact that the NHLPA has never given the OLD players a boost is disgusting.
Inserting a retroactive minimum retirement amount is just the right thing to do.
Setting the minimum requirements to about 7 full years of NHL service sounds about right to me and the minimum amount at 20k per year would do it.

20k + the government standard pension puts these guys at what 30-35k per year and that is a livable amount in Canada as a retirement. Sure no trips to Paris but enough for rent,food,gas,and the odd thing or two.

Lots of the old guys are dead, some are in poverty, THEY NEED HELP.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Yeah I read an article a while back about the Russian Hockey stars and how poor they are. They too felt forgotten.

There should be a way that Hockey Hall of Fame or whoever is still making money off the oldtimers could be required to pay a stipend/royalty to the alive players - Especially those really living below the poverty line. I guess they'd have to take a means test.

My understanding is that back in the day they were considered well compensated compared to the general population? My dad remembers gas at 10 cents a gallon in the 60s and a whole house could be bought for $4,000.00. Everything is relative.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
The fact that the NHLPA has never given the OLD players a boost is disgusting.
Inserting a retroactive minimum retirement amount is just the right thing to do.
Setting the minimum requirements to about 7 full years of NHL service sounds about right to me and the minimum amount at 20k per year would do it.

20k + the government standard pension puts these guys at what 30-35k per year and that is a livable amount in Canada as a retirement. Sure no trips to Paris but enough for rent,food,gas,and the odd thing or two.

Lots of the old guys are dead, some are in poverty, THEY NEED HELP.
I agree with you. It sounds to me like more could be done. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is disgusted to read that some of the old heroes are struggling. :handclap:

My understanding is that back in the day they were considered well compensated compared to the general population? My dad remembers gas at 10 cents a gallon in the 60s and a whole house could be bought for $4,000.00. Everything is relative.
Some of them probably were, especially if they were single. But many guys had summer jobs even into the 1970s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->