NHL passed on him last year, does Ben Fanelli get drafted in 2013?

dinglitis

Dec 15, 2012
Kitchener Ranger defenseman Ben Fanelli's name was not called at the 2012 NHL draft. Is he drafted this year?

Always thought his play/return was amazing. Info about Ben if you're interested:

2009-2010: horrible head injury in his rookie season after taking a check from the later banished Mike Liambas

2 years of recovery, started his own charity, did a triathlon for Head Strong

2011-2012: 67gp 16pts +19 (playoffs 16gp 4pts -2)

2012-2013 64 gp 21 pts +23 (playoffs 10gp 1pt +3)

--- Constantly starting shifts in the defensive end (Ryan Murphy - Evan Mceneny given offensive starts) and being matched up against other teams top players (such as Max Domi in London) Ben lead his team in +/- in both the regular season and the play-offs

--- as far as concerns about head injuries, Ben was hit in the head late in the season and missed 3 games or so, returning in time for the playoffs no worse for wear

--- recognized across the league as a leader and a physical presence, Fanelli is a player who has speed, strength, and defensive awareness.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Ben to me was probably the steadiest D man on the Rangers game in and out this season. I would love to see him get a shot at pro hockey. Just wondering if the head injury will scare NHL teams off? I along with many other fans in the league would like to see Ben get drafted but I think it's a real long shot.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
It would be great if Ben got drafted this season. It will be tough, but never say never. If he isn't drafted, he should be invited to NHL camps though as a free agent.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I imagine if he's not drafted he'll be signed as a free agent next year.

However, I'm not quite that high on his defense as other Rangers fans are. I think he'll put up 40-50 points next season and get signed as an overage free agent (Like Brenden Dillon from the WHL a couple years ago).

dinglitis

Dec 15, 2012
I honestly think that if Ryan Murphy, the king of the turnover, could play 20 mims in the NHL, Fanelli could at least pull off 15-20 in a shutdown/PK role. Fanelli has a near-impeccable and passionate work ethic - I hope NHL teams can see that

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I honestly think that if Ryan Murphy, the king of the turnover, could play 20 mims in the NHL, Fanelli could at least pull off 15-20 in a shutdown/PK role. Fanelli has a near-impeccable and passionate work ethic - I hope NHL teams can see that

If you really have kept an eye on hockey you would have known when Murphy was called up the last time the Canes he had the highest minutes on the team in four games or so and performed well for a rookies. Fanelli played real well in KW this season although soft. Most of the Ranger D played that type of hockey which doesn't bode well in the NHL.

dinglitis

Dec 15, 2012
If you really have kept an eye on hockey you would have known when Murphy was called up the last time the Canes he had the highest minutes on the team in four games or so and performed well for a rookies. Fanelli played real well in KW this season although soft. Most of the Ranger D played that type of hockey which doesn't bode well in the NHL.

I did keep an eye on it hence me referencing the 20mins a game or so that Murph was getting in Carolina. I also think he performed well.

Highly disagree with calling Fanelli soft - watching him play he seems like the type of guy you definitely don't want to match up against - all over you with either poke checks/stick lifts/body checks/etc. Especially in the playoffs. To each his own though. He is "soft" as in he doesn't get into fights or lay dirty hits, however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad