NHL opens satellite office in China, staffed by only one employee

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
giphy.gif
Reminds me of Neobux. When I had set an auto-clicker for the bonus clicks (which gave basically nothing).

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
Yes everyone sees the potential. Don't think this is a short-term engagement - continue planting seeds now and hope it grows to something. KHL has teams in China, NHL (Boston in particular) has deals with Chinese promoters and even had off season games there. I remain confident NHL players will be at next Olympics which should help too.

And Cadillac has the rights to their team’s arena, the Red Stars.

May soon have the feeling of Ukraine and the KHL...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Super Bowl numbers are less than that and MLB is almost not existent. NBA is the juggernaut of popularity.

I feel like that has to do with anti-American views from the government, who controls what people there watch.

NBA has had successful Asian players, i.e Yao so I think thats why their government loves basketball.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
The Gieco commercials were not proof enough? The NHL has long sold out to corporate America and is all about the mighty dollar. NHL brass could care less about on ice product and average joe fan satisfaction.
Why can’t the NHL do both exactly? There’s more than 1 employee at the North American office.

Also the NHL is a business first and foremost, so the almighty dollar always wins out. If they’ve realized that the growth in North America has tapped out, why not grow elsewhere to extend the life span of your product. It’s what all smart businesses do unless the goal of the NHL is to become another Blockbuster.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
The middle class in China has surged from around 30m people in the early 2000s, to around 500m today. It's expected to his 800m by 2025.

Add in the millions of wealthy Chinese, and you have a potential market that is 25x the population of Canada.

Or roughly 2.5x the entire population of North America.

The NHL should probably have more than 1 person working there.

Wrong. The U.S. should have nothing to do with China.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad