NHL opens satellite office in China, staffed by only one employee

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
giphy.gif

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Viewership for NHL Stanley Cup final games can already exceed 20 millions/game in China despite time zone differences. Sure this wont translate into proportional revenues but as China economy grows potential is there. Also with upcoming Olympics (expect NHL to send players) timing is good.

Surprised NHL doesn't already have a permanent office there.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I’m in China and am good at doing nothing, hire me!

Seriously though, NBA is huge here. NHL would be smart to fund a small developmental league, get the game growing here- my sense is that flattery is well respected here, so a concerted effort might actually yield results. Will never happen because it requires paying now for long term rewards, but damn I’d like to see it happen.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The middle class in China has surged from around 30m people in the early 2000s, to around 500m today. It's expected to his 800m by 2025.

Add in the millions of wealthy Chinese, and you have a potential market that is 25x the population of Canada.

Or roughly 2.5x the entire population of North America.

The NHL should probably have more than 1 person working there.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Its really all about the $ isn't it

The Gieco commercials were not proof enough? The NHL has long sold out to corporate America and is all about the mighty dollar. NHL brass could care less about on ice product and average joe fan satisfaction.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
The Gieco commercials were not proof enough? The NHL has long sold out to corporate America and is all about the mighty dollar. NHL brass could care less about on ice product and average joe fan satisfaction.

I’d argue the on ice product is the best it’s been since the early 90s

Reactions: Deegee

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I’d argue the on ice product is the best it’s been since the early 90s

Playoffs yes, regular season lol. Almost as trash as the clutch and crab. Instead of wrestling we get robotic fast skating and insane poke checking on the dump and chase with refs directing how the game should end.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Viewership for NHL Stanley Cup final games can already exceed 20 millions/game in China despite time zone differences. Sure this wont translate into proportional revenues but as China economy grows potential is there. Also with upcoming Olympics (expect NHL to send players) timing is good.

Surprised NHL doesn't already have a permanent office there.

Anything picks up 20 million viewers in China.

Reactions: Voight

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Super Bowl numbers are less than that and MLB is almost not existent. NBA is the juggernaut of popularity.

Fair enough. My point is we've been talking about the untapped potential of NHL hockey (or hockey in general) in China for a long time now and despite shifting demographics I just don't ever see it taking off in a meaningful way.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Fair enough. My point is we've been talking about the untapped potential of NHL hockey (or hockey in general) in China for a long time now and despite shifting demographics I just don't ever see it taking off in a meaningful way.

Isn't that what Xerox said about tablet PCs, Wifi, and mice?

Reactions: goku420

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Yes everyone sees the potential. Don't think this is a short-term engagement - continue planting seeds now and hope it grows to something. KHL has teams in China, NHL (Boston in particular) has deals with Chinese promoters and even had off season games there. I remain confident NHL players will be at next Olympics which should help too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->