NHL on Turner Sports too in US

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I can't remember 2 TV deals in the US for the NHL. That could be groundbreaking.

ESPN & Fox had the rights before NBC took over.

I could be wrong but I believe OLN/Versus were actually different companies than NBC until Comcast bought them all.

Edit: I think Comcast owned OLN & Versus initially. Then bought NBC somewhere along the line & merged everything. Versus became NBCSN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Will the flyers still be broadcast on csn philly? Csn regional sports networks also broadcasts a number of other teams. Essentially they saved a lot of money on national broadcasts which they were absolutely terrible at, while still being able to air major market team games in the area that matters.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Will the flyers still be broadcast on csn philly? Csn regional sports networks also broadcasts a number of other teams. Essentially they saved a lot of money on national broadcasts which they were absolutely terrible at, while still being able to air major market team games in the area that matters.

These are national tv deals with the NHL. The Flyers deal with NBC Philly is a regional based deal & unrelated to this.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That’s what I thought. Sounds like Comcast saved a lot of money and got rid of a difficult product to sell to half the country. Plus they no longer have to employ Mike Milbury or Pierre McGuire.

I mean hockey is certainly a niche audience/following in the US especially compared to the other major sports leagues. But it still has a following that fuels a multi-billion dollar industry. So it’s still pretty profitable in the general sense. ESPN just paid $2.8B & TNT payed about $1.6B in total for these deals.

So I don’t really necessarily think it was a lack of interest by NBC as they were still in the running along with Fox on top of obviously ESPN & TNT. They just couldn’t match those offers for whatever reason(s).

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
If your already broadcasting the Blue’s in St. Louis, why would you care about paying more to broadcast that game in Atlanta? Especially when Bettman is still trying to force feed hockey to arizona and florida while leaving traditional markets underserved.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If your already broadcasting the Blue’s in St. Louis, why would you care about paying more to broadcast that game in Atlanta? Especially when Bettman is still trying to force feed hockey to arizona and florida while leaving traditional markets underserved.

You’re conflating a regional broadcast with a national broadcast. TNT being in Atlanta is irrelevant when they’re going to be broadcasting nationally televised games around the country for league.

ESPN & TNT are going to do just what NBC did with relying on the big market American teams as much as possible. So the Rangers, Blackhawks, Bruins, Flyers, Penguins, Red Wings, etc. are still going to be heavily played as much as possible as that’s where the best ratings generally are.

Reactions: Larry44

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
That’s what I thought. Sounds like Comcast saved a lot of money and got rid of a difficult product to sell to half the country. Plus they no longer have to employ Mike Milbury or Pierre McGuire.
NBCSN is being shut down at the end of 2021, so NBC/Comcast had less incentive to buy a national sports package. With their current sports plus regular news and entertainment programming, NBC probably didn't have space to put enough games on their main station, and didn't want to spend the money to put games on some other network, (and the only real option they would have is USA, which they have used for overflow games in the past during the Olympics, but isn't really a sports channel). They are already moving some of their other sports properties like soccer and auto racing to Peacock. The NHL certainly wanted a commitment to a certain number of regular season games being on cable/broadcast instead of having only a streaming package.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
NBCSN is being shut down at the end of 2021, so NBC/Comcast had less incentive to buy a national sports package. With their current sports plus regular news and entertainment programming, NBC probably didn't have space to put enough games on their main station, and didn't want to spend the money to put games on some other network, (and the only real option they would have is USA, which they have used for overflow games in the past during the Olympics, but isn't really a sports channel). They are already moving some of their other sports properties like soccer and auto racing to Peacock. The NHL certainly wanted a commitment to a certain number of regular season games being on cable/broadcast instead of having only a streaming package.

NBC had to pony up to keep NFL.

So they took it from there NHL budget.

as far as regional goes.

sixers deal with nbcsp is through 2029
Phillies new deal started 2 yrs ago, I believe it’s 13 yrs.

not sure on flyers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->