OT: NHL not exploring in season tourney similar to the NBA

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
The in-season tournament is terrible and it's a joke it's even the NBA. Just play the season and get to the playoffs as normal. Glad the NHL has not followed suit from the NBA as keeping play-in too. Similarly, this is why I was rooting for the Bengals to knock the Bills out in the NFL so neutral site games can never see the light of day, these leagues are starting to experiment with screwing up their formats that don't need tinkering.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
They'll only ever adopt the format if it's wildly popular for a few years then tanks. Then the NHL will wait a year or two after it tanks and then get in on it.

The NHL is about to release NFT's. I'm not even kidding. It's insane to me that the NHL was the first major sport into Vegas. Must have been more of a broken clock is right twice a day kinda thing.

• Haha
Reactions: EddieTheEagle

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Olympics or bust. I don’t care about any of these tournaments whatsoever. The stakes are never real.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
What in the world is the point of a mid-season tournament? Who would care about who wins it. The hockey regular season is long and grueling enough, not to mention the playoffs. Nah. No thanks. Olympics or nothing (a World Cup also acceptable if it doesn't have any gimmick teams).

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I honestly don't understand why anyone would care about a mid-season tournament any more than regular season games. I'd watch them no more or less than the regular season.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I wish it were more feasible for the NHL to have regular season series like in baseball. Where say Minnesota comes to town for 3 games in 4 days. Cut down on travel time and give a little more spice to regular season games. Rivalries happen through playing a team/player a lot in a row.

The amount of teams sharing a stadium with an NBA team makes it unrealistic sadly

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I wish it were more feasible for the NHL to have regular season series like in baseball. Where say Minnesota comes to town for 3 games in 4 days. Cut down on travel time and give a little more spice to regular season games. Rivalries happen through playing a team/player a lot in a row.

The amount of teams sharing a stadium with an NBA team makes it unrealistic sadly
Toews actually lobbied for a system like that not too long ago.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
What in the world is the point of a mid-season tournament? Who would care about who wins it. The hockey regular season is long and grueling enough, not to mention the playoffs. Nah. No thanks. Olympics or nothing (a World Cup also acceptable if it doesn't have any gimmick teams).
It all matters in soccer leagues in Europe, it could work I guess but would be weird here.

To be honest the only fix absolutely 100 percent needed needed is for ensuring highest win percentage = most points in all scenarios.

Use ties as a tiebreaker only. In no world should the opposite be possible.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
It all matters in soccer leagues in Europe, it could work I guess but would be weird here.

To be honest the only fix absolutely 100 percent needed needed is for ensuring highest win percentage = most points in all scenarios.

Use ties as a tiebreaker only. In no world should the opposite be possible.
Soccer is also way more popular and will get an audience regardless, especially the various cups that can also include teams from lower tier leagues. It also helps that these tournaments are well established and some have been going on for 100+ years already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad