Confirmed with Link: NHL & NHLPA Reach tentative agreement on 56 game schedule

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Going to be interesting. Early games will probably have a lot of line experiments.

At the same time with just 56 games too, each one is more valuable to win than during a regular 82 game season

I am so stoked for this. I didn’t care to watch games between the coyotes or red wings. They are so many meaningless games every year. This year going to be so awesome

especially players with 1 year contacts, they are going to play their hearts out. Along with the fact that so many new faces with new teams with these one year deals

unfortunately another year where we won’t see any Jack Eichel in the playoffs

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I am so stoked for this. I didn’t care to watch games between the coyotes or red wings. They are so many meaningless games every year. This year going to be so awesome

especially players with 1 year contacts, they are going to play their hearts out. Along with the fact that so many new faces with new teams with these one year deals

If it wasn't for statistical records continuity is rather see the NHL play around a 62 game schedule under normal circumstances. Every team coasts for around 10-15 games every season (like the Leafs during West coast trips). Playoff hockey should ideally be over and done with by end of April.

Definitely should prove to be an exciting season this year for more than a few teasing

Reactions: fahad203

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's all up in the air now with Ontario set to enter a full scale province wide lockdown for 28 days starting on Christmas Eve.

I find it very hard to imagine that whatever was just agreed upon, Ontario would just shut it down the very next day. It's not like Ontario has just learned today that they will be putting in stronger restrictions. It's likely been brewing for a week and made it into discussions w/ the League.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

You are so spot on sire. You got it right and see this life and this thang correctly :clap: I'm bout that too. Our canadian division will stoke very other sucka like real hard when this thang gets going. 13th it is then. We are going to see some of the biggest hockey ever to be played this year. Gary Bettman is an ice hockey lover and he got his way again. Me and so many other hftoronto boarders knew this will happen. We knew the season was going to be played and stated so over 2 months ago again. WE WON!!!!! :pump: :stoked: :cigar: :burn: :human being: :human: :man: :ego: :toronto: :maple leaf: :maple leafs: :matthews: :tavares: :marner: :belfour: :drunk: :arrested:

Reactions: fahad203

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I find it very hard to imagine that whatever was just agreed upon, Ontario would just shut it down the very next day. It's not like Ontario has just learned today that they will be putting in stronger restrictions. It's likely been brewing for a week and made it into discussions w/ the League.

I hope you're right, but the last time around, there were no exemptions for professional sports leagues.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I hope you're right, but the last time around, there were no exemptions for professional sports leagues.

Once there was an agreement on precautions, I don't think there was concern it would be revoked later. I would think so long as testing across the league isn't showing signs of wide-spread infection across players and staff, the provinces who agreed would likely continue.

That said, it now appears that this is all contingent on provincial approval which is still in progress, so I suppose there is still opportunity for some provinces to shut it down.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

When Toronto entered the grey zone on November 23rd, there was an exempetion for the NHL:

What's allowed and what's not in Ontario's lockdown zone

Indoor individual and team sports (including training) not permitted with exemptions for high performance, including parasport athletes, and professional leagues (e.g., NHL, CFL, MLS, NBA)

From what I understand the further restrictions coming on Thursday is expanding the grey zone to cover the entire province, not re-defining the restrictions for grey zones.

We'll see what happens though,

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Once there was an agreement on precautions, I don't think there was concern it would be revoked later. I would think so long as testing across the league isn't showing signs of wide-spread infection across players and staff, the provinces who agreed would likely continue.

That said, it now appears that this is all contingent on provincial approval which is still in progress, so I suppose there is still opportunity for some provinces to shut it down.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where the games are played (from a fan standpoint). I'm sure the league is already working on contingency plans to be in place to house the Canadian teams in American cities just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If this were an election year, it would be a slam dunk we're playing.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
When Toronto entered the grey zone on November 23rd, there was an exempetion for the NHL:

What's allowed and what's not in Ontario's lockdown zone

From what I understand the further restrictions coming on Thursday is expanding the grey zone to cover the entire province, not re-defining the restrictions for grey zones.

We'll see what happens though,

That is reassuring. The article I read on CP24 earlier today suggested that the lockdown would resemble the one in March earlier this year.

member 300185

I like it. There is not one Canadian team better than the Leafs. Certainly not Montreal or Ottawa. Edmonton will be close.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
So, on paper, this format benefits the Leafs?

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong? Things usually turn out well for the Leafs, right?
tenor.gif

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
So, on paper, this format benefits the Leafs?

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong? Things usually turn out well for the Leafs, right?
tenor.gif
Your sarcasm is fantastico tico sire, but our leafs with our current new thugs is not to pushed with. Our current Simmonds, Bogostick and Big Joe Thornton.... mayne, these suckas is not to played withed. See how they score more than anybody (Joe's like the biggest point scorer ever behind wayne gretzky) and Simmonds being that powerful powerplay fool (although he'll play in our second PP), our current new thugs will rule the ice hockey world and yell thangs hard. They will TALK TALK AND TALK MORE. YELL YELL AND YELL MORE. Everybody will get an earful when this thang gets going sire. They gon need some ear plugs, hard. It's gon be the domi tucker days all over again. I love life sire. :heart:

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Besides Ottawa at #7, it's insane how close 1-6 is; should be a fun division to watch, especially in a 56-game season. I could see a division-clinch/playoff-miss going down to the wire.

My guess:
1. Leafs
2. Flames
3. Canucks
4. Canadiens
5. Oilers
6. Jets
7. Ottawa

Wherever Harmonic signs may shake it up.
Jets way too low

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Of those 7 CDN teams 4 are guaranteed to make the playoffs, and 2 are guaranteed to be in round #2 no matter what happens. You're never going to get any better odds than that !!!.

Considering last year the top 10 best teams in the standings all played in the USA, so that puts all 7 of the CDN in the bottom 20 in strength of competition. So you're eliminating 1/3 the leagues best teams from the Canadian Div competition, while guaranteeing 1 of those a final 4 spot in the playoffs in round #3.

So while Toronto gets to play Ottawa 9-10 times in the regular season, a team like Boston from our original Div needs to play Pens (Crosby/Malkin), Was (OV) and Philly 9-10 times etc just to qualify for the playoffs. Strength of Schedule of Div is not balanced, where equal odds of advancement would assume all teams are equal in strength so it doesn't matter whom you play.

For a Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup they only have to beat 6 other Canadian teams, and max 2 or 24 USA teams or 8 teams total to hoist the Cup and potentially never face Boston, TB, Pitts, Washington etc even a single game. :)

Of those 24 US teams 12 are guaranteed to make the playoffs, and 6 are guaranteed to be in round #2 no matter what happens. You're never going to get any better odds than that !!!.

Considering last year 9 out of 11 of the worst teams in the standings all played in the USA, so that puts over 70% of CDN division in the top 20 of strength of competition, and 70% of the US competition in the bottom 20 of strength of competition. So you're injecting 2/3 of the leagues worst teams into the US division competition, while guaranteeing 3 of those a final 4 spot in the playoffs in round #3.

So while Boston gets to play Buffalo and NJ 16 times in the regular season, a team like Toronto from their original Div needs to play Edm (McDavid/Draisaitl), Van (Pettersson, Q. Hughes) and Cgy 9-10 times etc just to qualify for the playoffs. Strength of Schedule of Div is not balanced, where equal odds of advancement would assume all teams are equal in strength so it doesn't matter whom you play.

For a US team to win the Stanley Cup they only have to beat 7 other US teams, and max of 1 or 2 Canadian teams or 9 teams total to hoist the Cup and potentially never face Toronto, St. Louis, Colorado, Dallas etc even a single game. :dunce:

Reactions: Deebo

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'm going to enjoy not playing Florida, Carolina, Buffalo, Columbus this season. All teams that seem to have thoroughly unenjoyable games vs the Leafs on a regular basis.

Reactions: Menzinger

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Of those 24 US teams 12 are guaranteed to make the playoffs, and 6 are guaranteed to be in round #2 no matter what happens. You're never going to get any better odds than that !!!.

Considering last year 9 out of 11 of the worst teams in the standings all played in the USA, so that puts over 70% of CDN division in the top 20 of strength of competition, and 70% of the US competition in the bottom 20 of strength of competition. So you're injecting 2/3 of the leagues worst teams into the US division competition, while guaranteeing 3 of those a final 4 spot in the playoffs in round #3.

So while Boston gets to play Buffalo and NJ 16 times in the regular season, a team like Toronto from their original Div needs to play Edm (McDavid/Draisaitl), Van (Pettersson, Q. Hughes) and Cgy 9-10 times etc just to qualify for the playoffs. Strength of Schedule of Div is not balanced, where equal odds of advancement would assume all teams are equal in strength so it doesn't matter whom you play.

For a US team to win the Stanley Cup they only have to beat 7 other US teams, and max of 1 or 2 Canadian teams or 9 teams total to hoist the Cup and potentially never face Toronto, St. Louis, Colorado, Dallas etc even a single game. :dunce:

Sounds like the excuses are starting early ;)

Me I just want to watch some hockey with some fans in the arena.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm going to enjoy not playing Florida, Carolina, Buffalo, Columbus this season. All teams that seem to have thoroughly unenjoyable games vs the Leafs on a regular basis.

Unless the Sens still suck or Winnipeg takes a step back, most games will be 50/50 and who wants it more. It won't be a picnic for the Leafs IMO unless they found a new gear since their exit from their playoff qualifier.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad