Confirmed with Link: NHL & NHLPA reach agreement on a new CBA until 2026. New CAP figures out again

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Stone got that extension because he was on the verge of heading to free agency and would have been a top player on the market. Vegas paid a premium on him.

If the Hawks get the extension done the summer prior, it's probably 7.5-8M which I think is affordable.

The summer prior the Sens were not shopping him. They were still hoping to hang on to him and at that point I don't think Stone had decided whether or not he would re-sign with Ottawa. I follow the Sens really closely as one of my closest friends is a huge fan and we go to games regularly when I'm up her way. I've seen the Sens play in person more than any other team.

In the summer of 2018 the Sens re-signed Stone to a one-year deal at $7.3 million. He was a RFA at that point and the deal took him to free agency. They were probably hoping they could work things out and he would be their new captain. But by the trade deadline it was clear the team was so bad Stone was not staying. Same thing with Duchene so they went on a selling spree.

Stone also fetched a high-end prospect in Eric Brannstrom who was picked 15OA and a second. I don't think the Hawks are in the business of making those trades at this point as they're currently rebuilding.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Stone got that extension because he was on the verge of heading to free agency and would have been a top player on the market. Vegas paid a premium on him.

If the Hawks get the extension done the summer prior, it's probably 7.5-8M which I think is affordable.

You are making a huge assumption with the salary that based on when he got from Vegas (where he was happy to go to) is just wrong. $9.5 AAV is what he wanted and it is what he would have asked for in Chicago.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't you claim that Stone was not getting traded and was resigning in Ottawa?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You are making a huge assumption with the salary that based on when he got from Vegas (where he was happy to go to) is just wrong. $9.5 AAV is what he wanted and it is what he would have asked for in Chicago.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't you claim that Stone was not getting traded and was resigning in Ottawa?
We've been over this before. If Melnyk didn't push him out, Stone was guaranteed to re-sign. He wanted nothing more than to re-sign there, but Melnyk refused to pay him in any capacity so Dorion was forced to move him.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
We've been over this before. If Melnyk didn't push him out, Stone was guaranteed to re-sign. He wanted nothing more than to re-sign there, but Melnyk refused to pay him in any capacity so Dorion was forced to move him.

Ok but you can't have it both ways. Either Mark Stone was available and the Hawks should have pursued him or he was negotiating with the Sens and hoping to stay until very close to the trade deadline so, how were the Hawks supposed to get him when the price at that point was $9.5 x 8? And as I said he cost a first round, very good prospect and a second for a trade and sign. Would you have been ok with the Hawks trading Boqvist or Mitchell in order to sign Mark Stone?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Ok but you can't have it both ways. Either Mark Stone was available and the Hawks should have pursued him or he was negotiating with the Sens and hoping to stay until very close to the trade deadline so, how were the Hawks supposed to get him when the price at that point was $9.5 x 8? And as I said he cost a first round, very good prospect and a second for a trade and sign. Would you have been ok with the Hawks trading Boqvist or Mitchell in order to sign Mark Stone?
I never said the Hawks could have gotten Stone. It was just an example of the kind of player Panarin should have been able to land.

Sick profile pic.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Oh, come on, this **** again? (specifically referring to Panarin, in case it isn't obvious).

WRT the others, a hard cap ceiling is hellish to adhere to and Bowman had very little choice.

Yes, that @#$% again...since it seems like everyone forgets we had Panarin tucked in for a couple of years when we moved him for Saad. It was most certainly not a situation where Panarin was due a big raise the 'hawks couldn't afford him; we traded him for Saad straight up 6M for 6M.

Stan could have sat on Panarin for a season or two and the sold high. We didn't get rid of Panarin because he was going to be too expensive down the road; we got rid of him because Kane couple produce with anyone it was hoped that Saad would sparkplug Toews' game.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yes, that @#$% again...since it seems like everyone forgets we had Panarin tucked in for a couple of years when we moved him for Saad. It was most certainly not a situation where Panarin was due a big raise the 'hawks couldn't afford him; we traded him for Saad straight up 6M for 6M.

Stan could have sat on Panarin for a season or two and the sold high. We didn't get rid of Panarin because he was going to be too expensive down the road; we got rid of him because Kane couple produce with anyone it was hoped that Saad would sparkplug Toews' game.
There was a possibility waiting would of made Panarin have less value, same with Hjalmarsson Thats why they sold that year on them with future cap saving in mind instead of waiting. With Panarin the value idea was way off, Hjalmarssons has been a better value as 2 of his years the decline of health they could see has taken the toll on him.

Saying they didn’t get rid of him for cap savings down the road is ignoring the entire selling point was long term cap security. But the value wound up easily looking terrible in return by play.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

4 years vs. 2 years (@ $6M/per), that was the primary rationale (secondary: getting Toews untracked).. FWIW, I don't blame Bowman for rolling the bones.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Saad has sparkplugged Toews' game. He had the best offensive season of his career in 18-19 and was on pace to post a career high in assists this year.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
4 years vs. 2 years (@ $6M/per), that was the primary rationale (secondary: getting Toews untracked).. FWIW, I don't blame Bowman for rolling the bones.
they should have gone all out for those two years with panarin and hammer...after that gone rebuild.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Bumping since Saravelli has a new update but it pretty much identical.

The CAP will rise 82.5M in 2022/23 & then 1M each year until 2026. Pretty flat but we the Captain's & Kaner's 10.5M coming off the books after 2023.

Reactions: bwana63

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
The CAP will rise 82.5M in 2022/23 & then 1M each year until 2026. Pretty flat but we the Captain's & Kaner's 10.5M coming off the books after 2023.

I remember in July of 2014 talking with people about how the cap would be $100m by the end of the Kane and Toews extensions. “Tar sands”, “strong Canadian dollar”, and other such phrases were thrown around. Reality check for sure.

it went up 50% from 2005-2006 to 2013-2014. From there until the covid season was only 25%. Whoopsies

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
So an extra million each year? Cool. I was expecting it to stay stagnant for the next few seasons, so a yearly one mil increase is great to hear.

Reactions: bwana63

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
So an extra million each year? Cool. I was expecting it to stay stagnant for the next few seasons, so a yearly one mil increase is great to hear.

Same, and could come we a good time as we have some decent cap flexibility when Toews/Kane contracts are up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->