Confirmed with Link: NHL & NHLPA reach agreement on a new CBA until 2026. New CAP figures out again

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

According to Scott Powers, the Hawks will have a shade over 1mil in bonus overage.

It appears Dylan Strome will hit a $212,500 bonus for ice time, and Dominik Kubalik will have three $212,500 bonuses for 20 goals, plus-minus rating among forwards and ice time among forwards. Kubalik will also likely be voted to the NHL’s all-rookie team, which would trigger another $212,500 bonus. If that’s the case, the Blackhawks would be at $1,062,500 for bonuses, which will carry over to next season because the Blackhawks ended the season at the cap ceiling.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If that’s the case, the Blackhawks would be at $1,062,500 for bonuses, which will carry over to next season because the Blackhawks ended the season at the cap ceiling.

Which is disappointing considering our record this season.

Reactions: Crow

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Which is disappointing considering our record this season.

Eh, look at the bright side. Kubalik attaining a bunch of bonuses means he's a much higher caliber player. People often talk about a lack of forward depths in the Hawks system, but adding a guy like Kubalik makes up for A LOT of that lack of depth. I mean how many teams hope a drafted prospect turns into a 30-goal scorer and when we don't have one in the pipeline, we go find one in Europe.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Eh, look at the bright side. Kubalik attaining a bunch of bonuses means he's a much higher caliber player. People often talk about a lack of forward depths in the Hawks system, but adding a guy like Kubalik makes up for A LOT of that lack of depth. I mean how many teams hope a drafted prospect turns into a 30-goal scorer and when we don't have one in the pipeline, we go find one in Europe.

Except the track record of Stan *keeping* those types of players is bad. Kubalik will mean nothing if we can't tuck him into the lineup for years to come (assuming this season was normal and not an anomaly--of course). See also: Panarin.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Except the track record of Stan *keeping* those types of players is bad. Kubalik will mean nothing if we can't tuck him into the lineup for years to come (assuming this season was normal and not an anomaly--of course). See also: Panarin.

We had Panarin when we needed him and we exited in the first round two years in a row. In the two years he played in Columbus this team was not competitive and Panarin would not have been the difference. In the following year he signed for $11 million. We got him for nothing and we didn't lose him for nothing.

I don't agree with every trade this team has made, the Danault trade, recently the Shaw trade was just abysmal and I 100% agree the Seabrook contract is an absolute disaster. But I don't have an issue with the Panarin trade.

I'm also fine with the Murphy/Hammer trade and don't blame the Hawks for the Bickell/Teuvo situation.

We got Kubalik for a 5th. Anything we get from him is gravy.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Oh, come on, this **** again? (specifically referring to Panarin, in case it isn't obvious).

WRT the others, a hard cap ceiling is hellish to adhere to and Bowman had very little choice.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Wouldn’t Saad + Shaw not being on the roster have covered Panarin’s cap hit though? Most of it at least.

As in, we don’t trade Saad for Panarin. Re-sign Panarin to an 8 year $10mAAV deal (that I’ll argue would’ve happened If we didn’t trade him) Don’t trade for Shaw. Saad+Shaw = $9.9mAAV.

Having huge chunks of our cap space tied up on LTIR contracts and/or bad contracts for 2-3 year chunks isn’t any better than having $31 million tied up on 3 franchise players.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Wouldn’t Saad + Shaw not being on the roster have covered Panarin’s cap hit though? Most of it at least.

As in, we don’t trade Saad for Panarin. Re-sign Panarin to an 8 year $10mAAV deal (that I’ll argue would’ve happened If we didn’t trade him) Don’t trade for Shaw. Saad+Shaw = $9.9mAAV.

Having huge chunks of our cap space tied up on LTIR contracts and/or bad contracts for 2-3 year chunks isn’t any better than having $31 million tied up on 3 franchise players.

Saad was brought in to fill the hole left by Hossa, not Panarin. This team's weakness isn't a lack of scoring wingers.

The Shaw trade was high risk and it failed, I agree but on paper you're better off with a Saad and Shaw instead of a Panarin when you already have Kane, DeBrincat and Kubalik. You need balance on a team.

You cannot have three forwards making $10 million with two of them being wingers. If we were going to give $10 million to another forward it should at least be a super star centre and even that is impossible with the Seabrook contract hanging around.

Reactions: Giovi and BobbyJet

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Saad was brought in to fill the hole left by Hossa, not Panarin. This team's weakness isn't a lack of scoring wingers.

The Shaw trade was high risk and it failed, I agree but on paper you're better off with a Saad and Shaw instead of a Panarin when you already have Kane, DeBrincat and Kubalik. You need balance on a team.

You cannot have three forwards making $10 million with two of them being wingers. If we were going to give $10 million to another forward it should at least be a super star centre and even that is impossible with the Seabrook contract hanging around.

Yes you can. You just can't also have $18.5 million tied up in bad contracts or guys on LTIR. If the cap is managed correctly then it's perfectly feasible to have 3 forwards with high cap hits. About 20% of the Hawks cap space this season is clearly misused. If better decisions were made Panarin would've fit fine here. Hell, keep the team as is but get rid of DeBrincat and Strome (whatever his cap hit is going to be) and we'd still be a better team with Panarin.

I was all for the Saad/Panarin trade when it happened and have been for a while, but it was IMHO not the right move and there were multiple ways of fitting him while being better than what we are now.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Didn't we still have Anisimov, Panik, and Hossa on the books?

Reactions: Giovi

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018

It’s been absolutely beaten to death but I’m still of the opinion that trading Panarin was the right move, just probably wrong target. Yes you can made Panarin contract work for a year or two but what about a few years down the line when these kids need extensions? Especially with this unexpected flat cap, having 3 forwards north of 10mil AND Seabrooks dead money it would have been impossible to build any kind of depth as those four players are about half your cap and one of them isnt even one of your top 18 skaters. Teams without depth don’t win cups ever. Kubalik would likely have been the first of many cap casualties.

top heavy teams with no depth tend to do well in the regular season to get figured out in the playoffs. I think with Panarin, were a team that doesn’t seriously challenge for the cup but ends up drafting low 20s/high teens. Not a good situation to be in at all. I just don’t see a scenario where signing Panarin at north of 10 mil would be good for the long term health of this team. It just would have created a bit more exciting hockey to watch right now.

I’m pretty sure I said that offseason that I’d like to see Panarin shopped for a young defenseman. Still think that would have been the best move but obviously have no clue if any realistic offers were available

Last edited:
Reactions: bwana63

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Absolutely nothing wrong with trading Panarin.

Absolutely everything wrong with trading Panarin for Saad.

Imagine if we traded Panarin for Mark Stone instead...

I would have been ecstatic with getting Stone for Panarin but at the time Stone wasn't available. Panarin was traded at the 2017 draft. The Sens had just come off their Game 7 OT conference final loss to Pittsburgh. They were buyers and would go on to trade a first etc. for Matt Duchene in November 2017. They were looking for a centre and were thinking they were going to compete before it all crashed.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Seems this often needs to be explained to so many who think managing an NHL team is like playing a video game.

As for reacquiring Shaw, Bergevin was rubbing his hands waiting for Stan to bite. Another example of the Hawks GM falling in love with an ex-player who at this point in his career was very high risk.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Mark Stone has a 9.5 M AAV. The Hawks couldn't have afforded him either.
Stone got that extension because he was on the verge of heading to free agency and would have been a top player on the market. Vegas paid a premium on him.

If the Hawks get the extension done the summer prior, it's probably 7.5-8M which I think is affordable.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Stone got that extension because he was on the verge of heading to free agency and would have been a top player on the market. Vegas paid a premium on him.

If the Hawks get the extension done the summer prior, it's probably 7.5-8M which I think is affordable.

Jesus imagine Stone Toews and Kubalik on our top line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad