Confirmed with Link: NHL & NHLPA reach agreement on a new CBA until 2026. New CAP figures out again

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Damn no kidding. I didn’t even think about that. Now I’m really hoping for Crawford to return for two years on a team friendly deal.
I think it's more likely that Crawford walks and they end up with someone like Khudobin, or they trade for a goalie. Honestly I don't even know if Khudobin is doable. Worst case scenario you ride with someone with pedigree like Subban and hope that he can prove himself as a starter.

Crawford would probably have to take 3.5M or less to stay with the Hawks.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I think it's more likely that Crawford walks and they end up with someone like Khudobin, or they trade for a goalie. Honestly I don't even know if Khudobin is doable. Worst case scenario you ride with someone with pedigree like Subban and hope that he can prove himself as a starter.

Crawford would probably have to take 3.5M or less to stay with the Hawks.
Most teams are in a similar situation as us cap wise. There isn't enough available cap dollars in this league for a guy like Crow (with all his issues) to be getting $4m a year.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It’s being argued that there won’t be compliance buyouts because it’s best for the owners. Makes sense I suppose. It’ll probably hurt their team’s ability to be as competitive as they could be, but it likely also means they can lower salary rates for pending RFA and UFA players for the next 3 years. Establishing a new baseline for salaries that’s been on the rise since the Toews and Kane deals were signed. Also, a compliance buyout would be a sort of double-whammy to the owners because they have to pay off those big and bad contracts, and then those players would most likely get re-upped a month or so later as UFA’s. Which is not ideal considering future revenue is so uncertain due to the pandemic.

It looks like I overestimated owner’s interest in making the most competitive teams they can. Disappointing for sure, but understandable in a big picture sort of way. Still feel bad for the pending UFA/RFA players in the next 3 years.

Nonetheless lots of teams are going to feel what we felt after we signed T & K to 8 year $10.5 mAAV deals under the assumption the cap would continue to rise.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
If he retires wouldn’t that be even more of a blow to our cap?
VVV
No I don’t think so. But he would be forfeiting the rest of his contract, which makes this totally unlikely.
Bingo: Seabrook is not a recapture contract like Keith. If he retires it doesn't affect our cap, but he leaves all of that money on the table. Aside: Keith is our last recapture deal.

LTIRetirement is still a viable option though--assuming there's a taker for his contract, and with the prospect of a flat cap looming that does become less likely. Arizona can only take so many of those on and since they'll be in the central once Seattle gets into the league, why should they help us?

Reactions: RayP

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
From an ESPN article with some new CBA facts.

NHL return-to-play timeline, testing plans, bubble life details

The NHL and the players were able to agree on an increase of their minimum wage. That salary rises from $700,000 to $750,000 next season, and will reach $800,000 by the sixth year of the CBA.

No-move and no-trade clauses are now portable with players, no matter what the team acquiring them wants. Previously, those teams had to agree to keep the clauses intact if they hadn't been triggered.

The "35-and-older" rule will be tweaked. If a player 35 years old or older signs a multiyear deal that is flat or ascending in value, there will be no cap hit left on the books if he retires before the deal is up. This was a smart fix to an unfortunate byproduct from a rule intended to penalize cap circumvention.

Here's an interesting one: No more conditional picks being traded that are contingent on a player re-signing with the team that acquired him.

No more getting rid of players just because they have a NTC/NMC that's about to kick in. The 35+ was a dumb rule to begin with and kept older players from potentially making more money. Selling teams will most likely get less value for deadline trades.

Reactions: Crow and Mrfenn92

Crow

May 19, 2014
“Here's an interesting one: No more conditional picks being traded that are contingent on a player re-signing with the team that acquired him.“

Why?

Reactions: Muffinalt

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
“Here's an interesting one: No more conditional picks being traded that are contingent on a player re-signing with the team that acquired him.“

Why?

From the article.

The players and the agents felt that it makes it tougher for a player to sign an extension with the team that acquired them if there's a conditional pick in play.

I can see this from the players perspective. If they have a bad showing with the team that traded for them that team may not be willing to give up the pick and re-sign them. The team may be willing to re-sign if the pick was not involved.

Reactions: Muffinalt and Crow

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
  • July 13 — Formal training camps open
  • July 26 — Teams travel to hub cities
  • Aug. 1 — Start of qualifying round
  • Aug. 10-12 — Phase 2 of draft lottery (TBD)
  • Sept. 20 — Stanley Cup Final begins
  • Oct. 2 — Last possible date for Stanley Cup Final
  • Oct. 6 — NHL Draft
  • Oct. 9 (or seven days after Stanley Cup Final ends) — Free agency opens
  • Nov. 17 — Opening of training camps for 2020-21 season
  • Dec. 1 — Opening Day of 2020-21 regular season

*All dates are subject to change, but these were the dates listed in the Memorandum of Understanding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad