NHL/NHLPA joint statement on player care (in wake of 3 deaths this summer)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587626

"Everyone at the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association is profoundly saddened by the loss, within a matter of a few weeks, of three young men, each of whom was in the prime of his life.

"While the circumstances of each case are unique, these tragic events cannot be ignored. We are committed to examining, in detail, the factors that may have contributed to these events, and to determining whether concrete steps can be taken to enhance player welfare and minimize the likelihood of such events taking place. Our organizations are committed to a thorough evaluation of our existing assistance programs and practices and will make immediate modifications and improvements to the extent they are deemed warranted.

"It is important to ensure that every reasonable step and precaution is taken to make NHL Players, and all members of the NHL family, aware of the vast resources available to them when they are in need of assistance. We want individuals to feel comfortable seeking help when they need help.

"NHL Clubs and our fans should know that every avenue will be explored and every option pursued in the furtherance of this objective."

Sounds like there will be more/expansion of NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance program (substance abuse, etc.) and perhaps other (new?) entities created.

MOD NOTE: Let's keep this thread focused more on the non-concussion mental health issue (i.e., depression), which can impact folk who never have had a concussion.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2011/09/01/sp-canucks-rypien-mental-health.html?cmp=rss

The Vancouver Canucks are taking a role in increasing awareness about mental health issues.

The NHL team plans to raise money that can be used for mental health education and treatment information through their Canucks for Kids Fund, Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis said in an interview Thursday.
"We are definitely going to create an appropriate way for people to contribute to mental health issues," said Gillis.

The exact details of how the money will be raised and where it will be spent haven't been decided. But Gillis wants to "create a vehicle where people can get involved and hopefully educate people."
A spokesman for Canadian Mental Health Association said sports organizations like the Canucks carry a powerful voice, especially in reaching young people.

"We need leadership for the silence to be broken," said Bev Gutry, chief executive officer of the association's B.C. division.

"We need champions to speak out about these issues. If we can break the stigma, not only will people reach out for help, they will get help."

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Matthew Schneider said on fan590 today that he and Brendan Shannahan just talked about the NHLPA and the emergency fund the other day while they were in New York. They were thinking about building a place (probably in Toronto) where players could come to, to get help.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=nc-nhl_depression_belak_boogaard_rypien_cotsonika_090111

Research has shown that depression is more common among elite athletes than the general population and even more common among elite athletes after retirement, according to a leading sports neurologist. NHL enforcers face a unique set of stressors.
But this is a more complicated issue than many are making it out to be, we don’t know the specific circumstances of these recent incidents, and jumping to conclusions about concussions or repetitive head trauma or other factors [like media pressure/speculation] could make the situation even worse.
Kutcher is a consultant for the NHL Players’ Association, the director of Michigan NeuroSport and the chair of the Sports Neurology Section of the American Academy of Neurology. He is an expert on concussions and return-to-play protocol, and he is beginning to study the long-term effects of repetitive brain trauma on athletes.
When it comes to cases like those of Boogaard, Rypien and Belak, Kutcher is less concerned with cause than effect. Cause takes years of scientific study to determine. Cause can vary depending on individual circumstances. Kutcher wants to focus on effect – the substance abuse or the depression itself.
“That’s the big message,” Kutcher said. “The cause is debatable and arguable, and we’re doing research here. I hope in 10 and 12 years I can tell you, ‘Here’s the risk of your average 10-year-old starting football getting depressed or having problems.’ I can’t tell you that now. In the meantime, let’s not make assumptions we don’t know about and let’s treat the problem.”

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/09/01/time-is-now-for-nhl-to-take-action

Calgary Sun editorial

Pro sports’ dirty little secret of players on Oxycontin to deal with their pain, concussions, alcoholism or depression is not an easy one to tackle.

But the NHL needs an immediate audit of what medications and painkillers players are being prescribed, what illegal drugs are being abused and what kind of counselling is available for players. The NHL has performance-enhancing drug tests. How about performance-enabling tests?

Could these deaths lead to a ban on fighting?

They could.

The problem with banning NHL fighting is there is too much money in it and the competition for dollars and eyeballs with the UFC is real. Hockey is not ballet but a tough, mean game. The players who play understand the risks and are compensated well.

Instead of eliminating fighting, maybe they will decide all that is needed is a rule that says someone in one must have also played a certain amount of minutes in a game, to eliminate the goons.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Instead of eliminating fighting, maybe they will decide all that is needed is a rule that says someone in one must have also played a certain amount of minutes in a game, to eliminate the goons.
Won't really help. Instead of 4th line goons who can barely skate, we'll start seeing 3rd line goons, who can spend the necessary minutes on the ice without being outskated badly.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Won't really help. Instead of 4th line goons who can barely skate, we'll start seeing 3rd line goons, who can spend the necessary minutes on the ice without being outskated badly.

knorthern Knight are you saying there is no room in the game for fighting, or no room in the game for the designated appointment fighter like Boogy or Grats? are you saying that the Thornton's and the Bieksa's can't drop the gloves?

i have historically loved a good fight in a hockey game but during the flow of the game by a couple of guys that play the game not by a guy on the end of the bench under a glass cover that says "break in case of emergency"

that being said for the first time in my life i have had second thoughts now after the rash of deaths this summer and some of the things i am hearing from BGL, Cote and others on the epidemic we might have on our hands (addiction, depression, pain killers, booze etc)

maybe the roll has been so marginalized now its time to take a really hard look at the designated goon at least and maybe fighting altogether.....can't believe i am saying that but Belak's death has been a tipping point for me (the enough is enough moment)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rather than ban fighting, the NHL should ban takedowns. Enough of that ****. Takedowns cause so many injuries these days. If you are losing a fight and just go for a takedown, I mean, is that really honorable at all?

Start suspending guys who deliberately take down another fighter. We will see a lot less head trauma in fighting that way.

badinsults

TWO WEEKS
Mar 15, 2011
Canberra, Australia
Is fighting the real issue here?

Who wants to bet these people had depression issues long before entering the NHL. Exposing these people to constant violence does not help, of course.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
knorthern Knight are you saying there is no room in the game for fighting, or no room in the game for the designated appointment fighter like Boogy or Grats? are you saying that the Thornton's and the Bieksa's can't drop the gloves?

i have historically loved a good fight in a hockey game but during the flow of the game by a couple of guys that play the game not by a guy on the end of the bench under a glass cover that says "break in case of emergency"
Fighting and brain trauma is a lot like smoking and cancer. Having just 1 cigarette won't kill you. It takes a cumulative dose of carcinogens from thousands of cigarettes over the years to do that. Similarly one fight rarely ever causes noticable brain trauma. But hundreds/thousands of punches hitting the head over the course of a career will cause CTE. Look at the decline of boxing as an exmple. I'm in my late 50's. When I was growing up, "the Louisville Lip" aka "Gaseous Cassius", i.e. Cassius Clay was literally a fast talker...

Then all those punches to the head took their toll. Here's an interview years later with Muhammad Ali. It is utterly painful to watch...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The problem with banning NHL fighting is there is too much money in it and the competition for dollars and eyeballs with the UFC is real.

Is there any actual data or market research to support that claim? A person who watches a UFC event is watching it specifically for fighting, because they know that is the entire purpose of the event. Does anyone really watch a 2.5 hour hockey broadcast to (potentially, since plenty of games are played without a single fight) watch a sloppy, non-technical fight that might last a minute at the most?

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Is fighting the real issue here?

Who wants to bet these people had depression issues long before entering the NHL. Exposing these people to constant violence does not help, of course.

Depression is more common among pro athletes then the general population, add in PCS, making the depression even worse. A big cause of it is isecurity, while you may be confident in one area (you need to be to make the NHL), but you may be insecure in every other aspect of your life (Forgarty would be a prime example). Players may feel like that's all their good for, is playing hockey, and if they think about that too much, they'll go nuts.

The way some of these players are pushed as kids by their parents, and coaches will put a burden on them as well. "You need to push yourself, if you're not playing hockey, what good are you?". That may push kids when they're young, but it can stick around with them for a very long time.

Realisticly, the money going into pro sports is a waste, millions of dollars going to someone so we can see them skate around with a hockey stick in their hands, shooting a rubber ball... really? Combine all that with insecurities, and some of these players feel like they're a burden on society. Then you look at the enforcers, all your good for is playing 3min a game, and punching someone in the head, it can only be worse.

Just personal opinion someone who's had issues with depression for a very long time.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Depression is more common among pro athletes then the general population, add in PCS, making the depression even worse. A big cause of it is isecurity, while you may be confident in one area (you need to be to make the NHL), but you may be insecure in every other aspect of your life (Forgarty would be a prime example). Players may feel like that's all their good for, is playing hockey, and if they think about that too much, they'll go nuts.

The way some of these players are pushed as kids by their parents, and coaches will put a burden on them as well. "You need to push yourself, if you're not playing hockey, what good are you?". That may push kids when they're young, but it can stick around with them for a very long time.

Realisticly, the money going into pro sports is a waste, millions of dollars going to someone so we can see them skate around with a hockey stick in their hands, shooting a rubber ball... really? Combine all that with insecurities, and some of these players feel like they're a burden on society. Then you look at the enforcers, all your good for is playing 3min a game, and punching someone in the head, it can only be worse.

Just personal opinion someone who's had issues with depression for a very long time.
even one of the greatest goalies (look at my avatar) in NHL history had depression problems which were medicated by alcohol.....

too bad there weren't programs back then to help him...he could've been alive today...

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
knorthern knight - you can say the same thing about checking, though. Heck, given the relative scarcity of fights vs. check (what, an average of 0.5 fights a game versus 40-50 "hits" each game, which doesn't count off-puck jostling), I would venture a guess that far more concussions/blows to the head/whatever are caused by checks.

But there are also real issues of mental illness (depression, bipolar, borderline personality and more) and substance abuse that have nothing to do with blows to the head. Justin Bourne on Puck Daddy had an excellent blog recently on the breadth of painkiller abuse in hockey. It's an astounding problem, made more complicated by the fact that there are very real needs for some of those drugs given the injuries these guys suffer.

And removing fighting won't remove the need for painkillers either. Again, because of the relative scarcity of fights versus the common amount of dings from other things (rolled ankle, check, puck to unpadded area, wrenched shoulder from falling after a crease battle, whatever), removing fighting would likely have a negligible effect on any of the problems mentioned.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
knorthern knight - you can say the same thing about checking, though. Heck, given the relative scarcity of fights vs. check (what, an average of 0.5 fights a game versus 40-50 "hits" each game, which doesn't count off-puck jostling), I would venture a guess that far more concussions/blows to the head/whatever are caused by checks.
Agreed on that, but the main problem is hits to the head. A fight with several punches landing on the head is more dangerous than a CLEAN bodycheck. But the NHL also has to go after head shots. Hits to the head, regardless of of whether it's a punch or a shoulder, are the dangerous part. Also, padding should be softer. It has now become an offensive weapon.

Another problem is that NHL players are larger/heavier today, meaning that each hit is that much more punishing. They used to be 150-to-175 pounds. Then along came the line of Esposito-Cashman-Hodge. They weren't THAT much more skilled than everybody else, but they were bigger/heavier and that much harder to push out of the slot. They tore up scoring records, and redefined how large a forward should be. Would Henri Richard make it in today's NHL? I don't think so.

But there are also real issues of mental illness (depression, bipolar, borderline personality and more) and substance abuse that have nothing to do with blows to the head.
I believe that Rypien lost his girlfriend to a fatal traffic accident, when she was on her way to watch him play a junior hockey game.

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
I work with many children who have anger/depression, none of it comes from fighting however. I suppose if they started taking multiple blows to the head it could worsen, but the fact remains that Hockey is more exciting with fighting.

There is nothing un-enjoyable about that imo, even though it was a blow to the head, it's still very exciting to watch.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/129574388.html

The NHL and NHL Players' Association will spend much of training camp reinforcing to players that there are resources available if they have problems with addiction or depression.
The offseason deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak also caused the parties to say they would examine each death and conduct an evaluation of existing programs and practices.
"I know they're taking a beating right now, but they've had programs in place for years to help," former Florida Panthers fighter Peter Worrell said. "I think a lot of it is the mentality that guys don't want to take that leap, to make that phone call and say, 'Look, I need help.'
"Hopefully now guys will say, 'I don't want this to be me.'"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad