NHL/NHLPA joint statement on player care (in wake of 3 deaths this summer)

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by LadyStanley, Sep 1, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587626

Sounds like there will be more/expansion of NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance program (substance abuse, etc.) and perhaps other (new?) entities created.

MOD NOTE: Let's keep this thread focused more on the non-concussion mental health issue (i.e., depression), which can impact folk who never have had a concussion.

2. trueblue9441

trueblue9441 Registered User

It shouldnt have taken 3 player deaths to look into doing something like this.

3. Hasbro

Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

Drone
    Considering how obstinant Fehr is, this is downright proactive.

4. chasespace

chasespace Registered User

Aside from Boogard did any of the players have drugs turn up in a toxicology report?

5. Kritter471

Kritter471 Registered User

Staff Writer
    Toxicology for Belak likely isn't done yet. that can take a couple of weeks.

I linked this one one of the main-board threads, but here's a fairly interesting article about something called post-competition depression. I ignored the part about "Oriental medicine," but the top section is fairly interesting and applicable to this thread.

http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/article.php?id=30171

6. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2011/09/01/sp-canucks-rypien-mental-health.html?cmp=rss

7. Jonas1235

Jonas1235 Registered User

Matthew Schneider said on fan590 today that he and Brendan Shannahan just talked about the NHLPA and the emergency fund the other day while they were in New York. They were thinking about building a place (probably in Toronto) where players could come to, to get help.

8. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=nc-nhl_depression_belak_boogaard_rypien_cotsonika_090111

9. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/09/01/time-is-now-for-nhl-to-take-action

Calgary Sun editorial

10. knorthern knight

knorthern knight Registered User

Won't really help. Instead of 4th line goons who can barely skate, we'll start seeing 3rd line goons, who can spend the necessary minutes on the ice without being outskated badly.

11. ps241

ps241 Registered User Sponsor

knorthern Knight are you saying there is no room in the game for fighting, or no room in the game for the designated appointment fighter like Boogy or Grats? are you saying that the Thornton's and the Bieksa's can't drop the gloves?

i have historically loved a good fight in a hockey game but during the flow of the game by a couple of guys that play the game not by a guy on the end of the bench under a glass cover that says "break in case of emergency"

that being said for the first time in my life i have had second thoughts now after the rash of deaths this summer and some of the things i am hearing from BGL, Cote and others on the epidemic we might have on our hands (addiction, depression, pain killers, booze etc)

maybe the roll has been so marginalized now its time to take a really hard look at the designated goon at least and maybe fighting altogether.....can't believe i am saying that but Belak's death has been a tipping point for me (the enough is enough moment)

12. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers ordinary corrupt human love

corporate drone
    Rather than ban fighting, the NHL should ban takedowns. Enough of that ****. Takedowns cause so many injuries these days. If you are losing a fight and just go for a takedown, I mean, is that really honorable at all?

Start suspending guys who deliberately take down another fighter. We will see a lot less head trauma in fighting that way.

13. badinsults

badinsults TWO WEEKS

student
    Is fighting the real issue here?

Who wants to bet these people had depression issues long before entering the NHL. Exposing these people to constant violence does not help, of course.

14. knorthern knight

Fighting and brain trauma is a lot like smoking and cancer. Having just 1 cigarette won't kill you. It takes a cumulative dose of carcinogens from thousands of cigarettes over the years to do that. Similarly one fight rarely ever causes noticable brain trauma. But hundreds/thousands of punches hitting the head over the course of a career will cause CTE. Look at the decline of boxing as an exmple. I'm in my late 50's. When I was growing up, "the Louisville Lip" aka "Gaseous Cassius", i.e. Cassius Clay was literally a fast talker...

Then all those punches to the head took their toll. Here's an interview years later with Muhammad Ali. It is utterly painful to watch...

15. Epsilon

Epsilon #basta

Is there any actual data or market research to support that claim? A person who watches a UFC event is watching it specifically for fighting, because they know that is the entire purpose of the event. Does anyone really watch a 2.5 hour hockey broadcast to (potentially, since plenty of games are played without a single fight) watch a sloppy, non-technical fight that might last a minute at the most?

16. cupface52

cupface52 Registered User

Depression is more common among pro athletes then the general population, add in PCS, making the depression even worse. A big cause of it is isecurity, while you may be confident in one area (you need to be to make the NHL), but you may be insecure in every other aspect of your life (Forgarty would be a prime example). Players may feel like that's all their good for, is playing hockey, and if they think about that too much, they'll go nuts.

The way some of these players are pushed as kids by their parents, and coaches will put a burden on them as well. "You need to push yourself, if you're not playing hockey, what good are you?". That may push kids when they're young, but it can stick around with them for a very long time.

Realisticly, the money going into pro sports is a waste, millions of dollars going to someone so we can see them skate around with a hockey stick in their hands, shooting a rubber ball... really? Combine all that with insecurities, and some of these players feel like they're a burden on society. Then you look at the enforcers, all your good for is playing 3min a game, and punching someone in the head, it can only be worse.

Just personal opinion someone who's had issues with depression for a very long time.

17. sawchuk1971

sawchuk1971 Registered User

even one of the greatest goalies (look at my avatar) in NHL history had depression problems which were medicated by alcohol.....

too bad there weren't programs back then to help him...he could've been alive today...

18. Kritter471

Kritter471 Registered User

Staff Writer
    knorthern knight - you can say the same thing about checking, though. Heck, given the relative scarcity of fights vs. check (what, an average of 0.5 fights a game versus 40-50 "hits" each game, which doesn't count off-puck jostling), I would venture a guess that far more concussions/blows to the head/whatever are caused by checks.

But there are also real issues of mental illness (depression, bipolar, borderline personality and more) and substance abuse that have nothing to do with blows to the head. Justin Bourne on Puck Daddy had an excellent blog recently on the breadth of painkiller abuse in hockey. It's an astounding problem, made more complicated by the fact that there are very real needs for some of those drugs given the injuries these guys suffer.

And removing fighting won't remove the need for painkillers either. Again, because of the relative scarcity of fights versus the common amount of dings from other things (rolled ankle, check, puck to unpadded area, wrenched shoulder from falling after a crease battle, whatever), removing fighting would likely have a negligible effect on any of the problems mentioned.

19. knorthern knight

Agreed on that, but the main problem is hits to the head. A fight with several punches landing on the head is more dangerous than a CLEAN bodycheck. But the NHL also has to go after head shots. Hits to the head, regardless of of whether it's a punch or a shoulder, are the dangerous part. Also, padding should be softer. It has now become an offensive weapon.

Another problem is that NHL players are larger/heavier today, meaning that each hit is that much more punishing. They used to be 150-to-175 pounds. Then along came the line of Esposito-Cashman-Hodge. They weren't THAT much more skilled than everybody else, but they were bigger/heavier and that much harder to push out of the slot. They tore up scoring records, and redefined how large a forward should be. Would Henri Richard make it in today's NHL? I don't think so.

I believe that Rypien lost his girlfriend to a fatal traffic accident, when she was on her way to watch him play a junior hockey game.

20. dronald

dronald Registered User

I work with many children who have anger/depression, none of it comes from fighting however. I suppose if they started taking multiple blows to the head it could worsen, but the fact remains that Hockey is more exciting with fighting.

There is nothing un-enjoyable about that imo, even though it was a blow to the head, it's still very exciting to watch.

21. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

bluelineradio: NEW SHOW! Serious talk on depression, #fighting & drugs in the #NHL, tragedy pimps, and my personal experience. MP3: http://t.co/DeNBWfc TY

22. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

23. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/129574388.html